A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: simple tell target

Im trying to do a simple tell target ive went to create new instance movie clip and made a simple mc of a ball tween.Nothing out of the ordinary I just want to get the basics on how to do this.I created two buttons one for stop one for play simple rite. I go to the main stage drag the mc out of the libuary onto the stage and the two buttons. And apply these actions to the button(as below).When I test it I get it doesnt work error.
    I mean the movie works the ball goes accross the screen in a loop but the buttons dont stop it ( this error on the press of iether button.

Target not found: Target="mc" Base="_level0.instance2"

Im only new to this so obviosly ive gone wrong can somebody piont out to me how to do it.Any kind of example is good long as it works or a tutorial??Its not for a site or anything im just trying to learn the basics.

//PLAY BUTTON ACTION

onClipEvent (load) {
    tellTarget ("mc") {
    play ();
    }
    }

//STOP BUTTON

on (release) {
    tellTarget ("mc") {
    stop ();
    }
    }

Have you given an instance name to your MC. An instance name is different than the name you see in the library. Once you drag the MC on to your stage you must give it an instance name. Goto the same panel that has the effects and frame tab. When the MC is highlighted click the tab all the way to the left. You will see a place to give it an instance name. This is the name you use in the tell target.

When you go to the tell target instead of typing in the name of the target, look for a little crosshair button in the actions. Its near the bottom right. Click that and then select your instance. That was you know that your instance is targeted right.

I hope this helps. If not lemme know and I will see if I can help further.

Have you given the instance of your MC a name? Do this using the instance panel. You use this name as the reference in your code rather than the name it is given in the library

You are right I had to give the instance a name.I made a completly new one and called the movie clip 'mc' and the instance name roll.Then it worked.
    Thats good thankyou for that.

Now im trying to make a shape tween this is nothing to do with the movie clip lesson Ive did!!
    Im making this on a completly new stage.In frame one ive drawn a simple square (there not symbols just simple drawing)on frame 20 ive drawn a circle.
    From frame 1 to 19 is the square and 20 is the circle.
    now whats the trick , I know you have to insert create motion tween and select shape.Where exactly do you do this like witch frame or whats the go??
    Ive gone to frame one and create motion tween and shape and it doesnt work?

[Edited by Jaffasoft on 06-28-2001 at 01:37 AM]