A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Fscommand

Ok, Im trying to have flash open a program on my HDD. i have tried several atemps but still can't get it to open.
    I know that it has to be a .exe file to work. I have got it to save a text file in flash that way.
    I guess i just need the command for it, like is it open, Run, Go what ever. If you can add an example that would help me to understand that would be great.
    Thanks you,
    andrue.
    Here is what Im trying now.

on (release) {
    fscommand ("open", "c:/windows/notepad.exe");
    }

President, save the
    New Zealand dollar foundation

fscommand("exec", "c:/windows/notepad.exe");

Wow....im bringing this question back to life as your answer was so great i wanted to ask a related question...Why are the forward slashes used instead of the back slash???....just wondering because i cant get microsoft outlook to open using the same method...
    fscommand("exec",C:/Program Files/Outlook Express/msimn.exe);
    but i cant get mine to work...got notepad up...and paintbrush !
    so i was just wondering...thanks in advance !!! and for what youve already answered......Please reply thanks!

Firmly Fastened to the Milk Sac of Misanthropy

help

Try this for the location:

c:/progra~1/outloo~1/msimn.exe

This is the path that DOS uses to find that program (at least on my PC). The reason Notepad worked is b/c that path is identical to what DOS uses. I believe the Exec command needs the DOS path. Give 'er a try. If it doesn't work, reverse the slashes to back slashes.

Also, if it doesn't work, maybe the path is different on your machine. If this doesn't work, repost and I'll tell you how to find it.

Sem
    [Edited by Sem on 06-27-2001 at 08:11 PM]

Firmly Fastened to the Milk Sac of Misanthropy
    I just tried this myself and it works fine. Let me know if it works for you. If you want to know how to find other programs' DOS path, give me a yell.

Sem

Sem......Yer the man.....or woman.......I havent tried it yet but thanks fer the reply anyway..Ill try it in a bit and post the results...When i hit the backslash in the argument field it puts 2 backslashes in the actions window...Whats up with that ????....So why does flash use forward slashes for directory information when windows uses backslashes ???........Thx again sem.....ill let you know..