A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Feeling Exposed without a........MASK! Please help!

Hello Gurus,

I've created a mapping system where the user selects layers to add to a map (say for example, a layer of roads, a layer of parks, a layer of hospitals, and the background layer of the city). All of these layers are added to duplicated movie clips and stacked on top of each other, with the appropriate depth. The user is able to reorder the stack as they see fit and they can also click on the loaded swfs to get detail about the particular hospital, so I can't flatten the mcs.

NOW...what I want to do is use a zoom and pan feature similar to:

http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Inter...48/index.shtml

To do this, I need a mask that targets all of the layers the user has generated. Is is possible to mask multiple mcs generated on the fly? If so, does anyone have an example they'd be willing to share or could you send some hints my way.

Please, don't leave me exposed.
    ~rockyroad

As i know, the only way - is to load movieclips you generationg into existing movie clip which is under the mask....

may be you should create several predefined movie clips under the mask (for road maps, etc ... ) and duplicate movie clips into this predefined movie clips?

hope it helps...
    [Edited by al77_t on 07-04-2001 at 04:24 AM]

al77_t,

Thanks. I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.

~rockyroad

Hello,

I created a mc called mapArea set up a mask layer and a masked mc called allMaps. The allMaps mc has an empty mc in it called myMapTarget. The myMapTarget is what gets duplicated when the user generates a new layer and a swf gets loaded into the new duplicated mc. It is working.

THE NEW PROBLEM is that when the user zooms, it zooms to the upper left hand corner instead of the middle of the mc like it's supposed to. I've played around with the relative position of the mc called allMaps and the mc called myMapTarget to no avail. I'm assuming the cross-hair mark is the middle of mc, so I even tried putting an empty box in there to give it some content. All it does is screw up the positioning of my mcs and it still zooms to the upper left hand corner. Does anyone know how to get around this???

Thanks.
    ~rockyroad

Unhappy

hmmm......
    I don't know for sure....
    But may be some of your movie clips don't have cross-hair mark right in the middle... ??

Have you tried to debug your project to see _x & _y coordinates of your movie clip???

P.S. I also have had some similar problems...

Cross-hairs

Hey al77_t,

Yep, it was the cross-hair problem. Because of the dynamic mcs, it's real tough to get everything lined up. I ended up doing a hack job on setting the _x and _y positions in both sets of mcs. I'm sure whoever gets stuck making v2 will love me (although unfortunately, it will probably be me!).

Thanks for your help!
    ~rockyroad