A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash Nexus 2, new protocol need opinions!

Hi

Yeah, sorry the nexus wasn't well documented, or explained.

Nexus irc will be out soon, and we will provide much better documentation, several tutorials and much better support for it!

The examples are down for the moment, our host hasnt been too reliable with keeping it up.

Steve

Hi
    Nice to see people doing stuff like this, couple of thoughts:

Check out
    http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpChat/
    for a PHP/irc interface. Haven't looked at it but it may be helpful for Tupps' idea?

When I was looking for a multi user system for our new company site (http://www.randommedia.co.uk) I looked at nexus but was turned off as it didn't run on Linux. I think *Nix support is pretty important if you want it used widely in the 'real world' as opposed to people just testing stuff at home.

In the end I made a custom system in Java. I was pretty rusty but got a stable multi threaded server built in a couple of weeks. I was a bit of a Java skeptic (still think it's too slow for GUI stuff) but I would highly recommend it for doing socket apps, and it saves you building two (or more) versions.

Good luck, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Adam

Nexus is solid.. need a client hat works...

Well after someone told me that there was developement of an IRCchat client in flash i had to d some research to find nexus. After understanding how the install and command line to start the gateway up worked, set up ircd on my Suse box, and made sure i could connect to it with no username, pass etc. I tried the client.. The windows version does not work, period..this is serving on my lan to 5 machines from my one Suse box which includes the html page and such. i think that a person has to set up their web server for the x stuff.. not sure but i could load and it would connect to the server but i couldn't see and chat nor type and send anything..
    Okay so i'll search some more.. found another chat client that used the nexus gateway so i tired it.. the other guy's client seemed much much more stable.. looked better nd stuff so if you haven't seen it you should try to contact him. i'm atwork right now, otherwise i'd post the link.
    Either way the flash seems to work well bu i can't get anything that has to do with realtime stuff.. can't see chat, channel, nor send any messages.. even though i can see via command prompt that I am definitely hooked to my server (via port 6667, very sweet) ut i could not find my client on the server anywhere with a regular irc client.. We have a web server running on redhat that offers html, irc and a few other things and to be honest i'd be interested in doing beta testing for you although my scripting skills are very limited.
    One other interesting thing i would like to ask is... What would it take to whack away at nexus to use it as a gateway that would list gaming servers for a certain few games that i have been working with? Seems like this sort of thing would be a good baseline for a tool of this sort..
    Thanks..

Originally posted by elitemedia
    Hi
    Nice to see people doing stuff like this, couple of thoughts:

Check out
    http://www.phpwizard.net/projects/phpChat/
    for a PHP/irc interface. Haven't looked at it but it may be helpful for Tupps' idea?

When I was looking for a multi user system for our new company site (http://www.randommedia.co.uk) I looked at nexus but was turned off as it didn't run on Linux. I think *Nix support is pretty important if you want it used widely in the 'real world' as opposed to people just testing stuff at home.

In the end I made a custom system in Java. I was pretty rusty but got a stable multi threaded server built in a couple of weeks. I was a bit of a Java skeptic (still think it's too slow for GUI stuff) but I would highly recommend it for doing socket apps, and it saves you building two (or more) versions.

Good luck, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Adam