A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nooflat -- nav in depth -- intelligence

nooflat features intelligent, reactive interface.
    haven't seen this done before
    interested in critiques/opinions

thank you

jamie

http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~jmacdona/nooflat

Hmm Great!
    What's the use of it? (no offence, really)
    I managed to change the bgcolor, but thats about it...

regards

Le Bouchon

Yeeowsers!

That is some slick looking stuff! I have been trying to figure out how to change layering of objects, so that one object can dynamically move in front, or behind another, but I thought it wasn't possible without duplicating movie clips...I would love to know how they did this!

--bouchon

no offense taken. good question i guess. did you click all the other words and stuff? it's just a bunch of random things, user generated graphics/motion etc.

--dbyg

ta for compl. it is done using duplicate movie clip, in combination w/ remove movie clip, assigning each of the words to levels 1-8 as they move back and forth.

thanks

jamie

is it just a site for fun or is there a purpose? it seems like it should just be for while a page is loading kind of thing. kind of reminds me of andy fould's intro page.

jwill,

I found it a little hard to navigate, but its a really great experimental site.

keep up the good work.

thanks for input

is it just for fun? that's an interesting question. it's not for profit. i guess maybe that means it is. i suppose it's meant to amuse or to pass the time maybe. . were you amused? (not trying to be disingenuous or anything, i'm genuinely interested)i think some of the things look pretty. i guess it shows some of the things you can do with flash (not that they are all new or anything, you can find some of them done better elsewhere)
    then there's the navigation. i guess it's a case of trying to get away from the standard metaphors used, particularly the index on one side which displays content alongside or in a new window (kind of the frameset model maybe)I wanted to get the whole thing a lot more seamless where there is a constant stage and a fluidity to it. admittedly the index thing is used also, but i guess that's inescapable to a degree. there's also the way the main interface acts as a history in a way, with the elements receding back into the space as time elapses since they're clicked.
    so anyway, i guess that's what i was trying to achieve any suggestions on how i could make it more usable or more whatever i'd apprecate that.
    thanks again for taking the time to look at it.

jamie

pretty cool and different.

Interesting experiment.

Here's something similar I tried using Director:

http://server3002.freeyellow.com/mgb.../shock_exp.dcr

Regards Michael
    [Edited by mgb on 08-21-2000 at 04:07 PM]

what's the point of your site? could use visual poetry and content. maybe guestbook and daily journal.

drifting => nausea

what's up monkey man.
    these are fine points you raise.
    think maybe what i really need is some kind of cool text effects or a pumping techno beat
    laters taters
    jwill

Experimental sites were cool. It's over now. How many times can we pull a line across the screen or watch a box change shapes. I mean - C'MON. Let's try not to forget about incorporating good old DESIGN or poetry into these sites.

yes that is a good point about monkeys. you could use one on your site.

as for text fx and pumping techno beat... i think that's been played out. try some animated gifs and a eukelele to spruce up your site.

in all seriousness though, think monkey.

maybe you're right. maybe it's a matter of taste though.
    after all who decides what good design is or what constitutes poetry on the internet. i think we might possibly disagree. poetry for instance is a static medium, whether written or in film. the internet is an immersive interactive medium. i am impressed by nice graphics, but i am also impressed by nice interaction. bringing both together can create a kind of visual, immersive poetry.
    i'm not claiming that my site attains that, but i'm trying.
    and after all without experiment we end up with a pretty standard internet experience, all framesets with an index down one side, etc. etc. whatever my site is i would say it has something of its own. maybe not enough.
    anyway
    each to his own i guess

jwill

Don't get me wrong here. I am in no way putting down your site. As far as I am concerned any effort is a good one and you have to believe in it. I respect that. I am just tired of a lot of the same stuff. I mean with the talent you have - obviously an ample amount - I don't see why there couldn't be more design elements in the site. I am not just pegging your site. It's most of the experimental sites out there. It is all pretty much done in the same vein. Meant no harm.

It's just my opinion. I'm not saying it's correct.

hey
    no offense taken, really.

lack of design elements is a definite issue with the site and something i know i've got to work on. i'm still kind of a novice. i was just trying to put across what i think the value of the site is.

thanks for taking the time to look at it. i appreciate it

jamie

I'm just old school I guess? By the way...My site is posted but I have hardly gotten any feedback at all. You may have already been there? Rip it apart. I need some honest opinions.

Thx, Marc

http://www.speccell.com

So you asked for it!
    Let him have it, guys!

Go check http://www.speccell.com, and tell him what you think in the new thread called, well...

[SPECCELL]

kindly

Le Bouchon

really advanced intelligent site

I dont know what those guys are rambling about, but it seems to me you took time and care and love to make that site. The actionscripting there seems very new and exciting to me.
    Seems that your Actionscripting knowledge is very good, and combining it with artistic pleasure to the public is honesty we should consider with different eyes then those who enjoy beholding GABOCORP sites and make comparisons telling youm that your site lacks.
    Tomas

hey tomas
    thanks, i appreciate it. i would like to think there's a little love involved, maybe more in the scripting than in the design.
    checked your site earlier - liked it, looked real good.

marc- don't know about you being old school. think it's really just taste. checked your site real quickly, will look longer. i quite liked it. few things though if you're after feedback: not too sure about the music, also not too keen on the stock gradient fills on those balls in the intro. like the title sequence (if that's what you call it) nice subtle effects, not too ostentatious. maybe also try and add navigation w/in swf rather than loading new html page. that's just on a real quick look, maybe have more time later.

thanks again

jamie