A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] [Resolved] [Resolved] SWiSH WiSH LiST

Dang! 777 is all that really needed...sounds lazy to me! That was almost irritating...right now I'll settle for a Playhead!
    from David M's past performance...I'm sure he will squeeze in every feature that he possibly can! plus 1 or 2 more!

If you want ALL of that?...Theres this program called Flash you should check out!...ziggy
    [Edited by gjkillam on 09-08-2000 at 06:07 AM]

Ziggy: Maybe I got carried away??? I'm really into
    'automation' :-) Sorry if it tweaked you. I really
    do believe the Preferences Dialog Box & simple time
    savers can benefit everyone, though.

Hey!777 bad mood...long day!
    I'd be into Automation too!...If I could figure out the dang scripting?...have'nt really tried that hard though!
    I just dont want to see SWiSH turn in to one of these
    bloated AUTOMATRONS...theres enough of THEM already!
    David M sure is no slacker!....in time I'm sure we'll get everything we want! & hopefully not too many things we don't...You just got a bad case of SWiSH fever!
    might recover?...might not?...hehehe! I've still got a pretty bad case myself!...ziggy
    P.S. if you want something to sink your teeth into? & to expand SWiSH's capabilities...check this out!
    its my plan for the next week! or 6months...
    http://www.php.net/manual/ref.swf.php
    They are .php .swf tags...php/cgi & php/mysql it all sounds way too cool! just found this the other day!
    and Almarks IE 5.5 thread encapsulated.swf's in dhtml hehehe! We got new toys!...boys! (and girls)
    You'll need a good text/html editor!...Here! it will open anything! http://www.editplus.com/download.html
    [Edited by gjkillam on 09-08-2000 at 06:06 AM]

Could not agree more...well said.

Paul
    Originally posted by gjkillam
    Sinp...I just dont want to see SWiSH turn in to one of these
    bloated AUTOMATRONS...theres enough of THEM already!
    Snip..

focus on effects, not convenience

David, I'd like to officially place my vote for enhancements on Swish for Swish 2.0 that will focus more on effects for what one can actually make appear onscreen (such as vector artwork creation/support, complex motion paths, easing in/out, more dynamite effects (if any more exist!), complex image effects, etc.), or will practicalize some of the most commonly needed functions that aren't yet addressed (e.g. adding/deleting frames across multiple objects, multiple object grouping, alias naming of objects, multiple object alignment tools, etc.). For me at least, addressing things that don't yet exist is more valuable than automating functions of things that are already possible.

For example, on an earlier post on this same thread, I said that it would be cool to be able to create a projector from Swish. Later, however, I found that SwiffCanvas already does this, or easier still, you can do it with an exported swf file via the flash player. As far as I'm concerned, an easy solution exists, which crosses it off my Swish wish list! Perhaps it would be easier to do it in Swish if the feature existed, but if it meant having that slight convenience at the expense of other enhancements/features that significantly increase the power of Swish, then I say forget the projector function -- we can already do it with minimum fuss!

I really like the suggestions like those of Flash777 a few posts back, and I'd love to see them added if you guys have nothing else going on, but until that's a reality, I agree with the other responder: with a program that's already as relatively easy as Swish, I don't need that much more convenience at this moment. Being able to add frames across the entire timeline, now that's a major timesaver that I think everyone here has wished for at some point, so I support that wholeheartedly -- we're talking major potential timesavings for those times when a client suddenly and invariably says something like, "I had a vision last night -- can you put a floating doughnut right before those words appear? That will make it perfect!"

But besides the big ones like that, I think increased functionality is the key to continuing the elevation of Swish to even greater heights, at least right now, IMHO.
    -- give me a swish-drawn vector jelly doughnut picture with a vortex effect moving on a circular path -- now we're talkin'!

Thanks for the eartime, all...

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    to all you (S)wishers,
    time for a reality check...
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=12960
    and for all the people who have come on board since this thread was posted.
    david p.

that was august

Indeed, David, I remember that post well, but it was posted in August. Things can change in a short time these days.

I remember just a few months ago how Swish 1.5 released as a surprise with sound AND images just a day or two before FlashForward in NY, and I remember that surprise was preceeded by a lot of discussion and questions about images here at the board.

So while even if Swish 2.0 doesn't rear its head in any form until December, and even if it turns out to be the things that David listed waaaaaaay back in August, I'll still be happy. I just know that we've been pleasantly blown away by David and team in the past, and like the rest of us, they're probably really enjoying the success that their efforts have produced.

And so, on I wish, sweet dreams of a super Swish!...

Ive only perused a few of the responses

so I'll probably name features previously mentioned. Here goes
    1. First I think it an excellent idea to have a broader selection of example files added that could be made by posters on this board. Of course in order to do this they, (um...me included) would need an advance copy.....um, only for the purpose of creating help files of course.
    2. Definitely the ability to cut/paste just by right clicking and dragging within the timeline. So instead of just cutting an action or an individual text or image element one could cut everything within the timeline. Hopefully this is understandable.
    3. An on/off button for animated gifs like the music on/off feature if its possible to do.
    Hell, thats all Ive got for now. ~Jer~ ps that advanced copy thing is a biggy. (Assuming I would be included otherwise no biggy. )

First and foremost, on a scale of 1 to 10, I consider Swish
    to be a "15" :-) But I also feel the following SIMPLE
    added capability for loading & unloading other movies for
    COMPLETE CONTROL of sequential TIMING will, in and of
    itself, take Swish to a "25" (on a scale of 1 to 10 :-)

* CATCH THE VISION, EMBRACE IT, AND ROCK-ON TO NEW HEIGHTS!

Specifically, to add the following Action Commands:

In ANY Movie and Movie Level:

1. In Movie #1 of a series (as an example)
    * At frame <ending frame #>
    * Play <next .swf Movie name> AFTER (Movie #1) ends
    * Skip Preloader <next Movie name> ... option

(which should NOT begin UNTIL Movie #1 ends,
    and does NOT start with the Preloader...'cuz
    it's already been "preloading" during Movie #1 !!!

NOTE: This is NOT a "Movie" in another Scene
    in the same Movie #1 file

2. In Movie #2 of a series (as an example)
    * At frame 0 (after preloading finishes)
    * Do NOT play UNTIL <previous .swf Movie name> ends

(this would prevent PREMATURE PLAYING of the
    Movie #2 regardless OF when preloading finished)

NOTE: This is NOT a "Movie" in another Scene
    in the same Movie #2 file !!!

* CATCH THE VISION, EMBRACE IT, AND ROCK-ON TO NEW HEIGHTS!

I've studied the situation backwards, forwards, upside
    down and every which way. THIS WILL BE A KILLER!!!!!!

Ziggy: THANKS for the cool URL's, man. Looks like your
    skating on the cutting edge of some cool stuff too.

In "reality", I would pay AT LEAST a $100 upgrade fee to
    have the above capability in SWiSH :-) :-) :-) And, most
    likely let F#&*@ collect dust on the hard drive. OHHH...
    not that...I'd delete it first!

Ooops...I forgot to add...several things I've learned in
    life (and extensive software beta testing for firms):

1. Even the Great can be made even Greater and Greater
    2. The Impossible *IS* Possible with almost everything
    3. Barriers (sound or otherwise) are meant to be broken
    4. We are all here to inspire each other to achieve more
    5. Numerous Swishers have used Swish to do the "Brilliant"
    6. We need the ideas of others to "fine tune" our creations
    7. "If you don't ask, you don't get" :-)

Swish has the potential to surpass "Flash" in many ways.
    In many ways, it already has, and Congrats to David M.

Very few things are impossible!...They just have'nt been done yet! hehehe!...777 send me your email...ziggy

Ziggy: Just sent it, but going to bed...it's 2:47AM and
    I was NOT going to stay up this late again. Manana.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

sounds like movie clips

Flash777, sounds like you're talking about Movie Clips. If you're familiar with Flash, Flash can play independent animations within the same movie. They can also be named symbols, which allows you to make them buttons with rollover states.

If Swish added movie clip functionality, I agree it would be a big boost. Koolmoves is supposedly developing it as well, though I'd really like it for both programs...

Hmmm...by "Movie Clip", are you meaning this synomously
    with separate ".swf" file? If yes, then YES...but for
    more CONTROL over end result actions at the destination
    point (i.e, "End User").

But your comment just triggered another idea, that being
    for an Action Command for the FINAL .swf in a sequence
    or series of Movies/.swf's like:

*If frame <FINAL frame of FINAL .swf>
    *Skip Intro <FIRST MOVIE or PRELOADER "Intro">

The same result could be achieved by inserting, in the
    FINAL FRAME of the FINAL MOVIE/.swf:

*Goto Frame <Frame #> of <Movie .SWF FILE NAME>

This could eliminate the need for a "Skip Intro" button
    on pages and have the entire sequence of .swf's autoplay
    once downloaded. Most Cool.

"CONTROL", man, more "CONTROL" :-)

A "CTRL + R" HOTKEY ... man, would THIS be useful to:

1. RUN (Play) ANY Scene, Text or Image line highlighted

2. Eliminate mouse movement to <Control> <Play Scene>
    AND provide SINGLE LINE previewing WITHIN a Scene

:-)

Another one (unless I skipped over someone's post)...

1. The ability to "EXPORT" individual scenes or
    text/image lines within a scene for future use.

2. The ability to "IMPORT" the stuff in #1 above.

3. The ideal would be to save the stuff in #1 to
    a "Templates" subdirectory, especially for the
    stock modified effects we want to reuse over
    and over again in other .swi's via "IMPORT".

These abilities would save HOURS and HOURS of time
    over the course of creative time.

If a design window "grid" is being implemented in v2.0,
    this would be VERY useful:

A "CTRL + G" HOTKEY to display or undisplay the grid :-)

Numerous questions have been posted about use of the
    'Camera' features. What would be absolutely incredible
    would be, in addition to field value inputs, to have
    the ability like in Xara3D to simple see VISUALLY and
    INSTANTLY by simply moving the mouse, the camera effects
    instead of having to plug in numbers and then preview.

If you haven't seen Xara3D...take a look and see what
    a tremendous aid this could be in the creative design
    processes involving the camera functions.

Umh, one other thing. There is a tremendous amount of
    goodwill sharing of .swi's by Swishers. It would be
    quite nice to have an "Author" field on the control
    panel, and maybe an E-mail address field, so that as
    .swi's are shared, there is instant deserved awareness
    and recognition of who's work and contribution it was.
    A good way to also be able to follow up with questions
    if necessary.

David, a possible

I'm posting this here at the suggestion of a few Swishers who read the same post under another thread. Thanks for the feedback, everybody:

David Michie, this came to me yesterday. I figured out how you can do complex motion paths without having the drawn paths by the user. And the best part is, I think you already have the math in place from your explosion and vortex effects.

For those of you who don't know, a complex motion path would be akin to having your text display on a curve, rather than a straight line, or having your image move around a curve, rather than straight from point a to point b, etc.

*Simply* have additional choices on the transform dialog box for path settings:

Path shape: You could choose between curve, elipse, triangle or rectangle, for example. For a curve, for example, the end points would be determined by the x and y changes as currently entered in the transform dialog box. When "curve" was selected, the only other piece of information needed would be the location of the curve's third determining point, which would be the outermost point of its arc. Maybe if the user entered the number of pixels or a percent either positive or negative, that would determine the point on the line where the third point would fall; this would be your "x coordinate" for the third point (10% would be closer to the starting point, whereas 85% would be closer to the ending location). Then, you could have the user enter the distance perpendicular away from the imaginary line between the two endpoints. Now you've got an x and y location for your curvepoint. From there, I bet you guys have the math to plot the curve through the three points.

By taking this approach, you do two major things: 1) you keep from having to define shapes as motion paths; and 2) you don't have to worry about displaying motion paths or figuring out a way for the user to "link" a shape or text to a path. By adding it to the transform dialogue box, you're staying within the already beautiful Swish interface, but you're adding an incredible layer of functionality that could be expanded upon over time!

Does this make sense to anybody? Here's another example: You make some text, then you open the transform dialogue. You choose "elipse" from the path choices, then you define the x and y dimensions of your elipse, or maybe a percentage that's preset for 100% and above (to account for the length of the text, since you can't have a long set of text rotating around a tiny circle, it would overlap itself -- hey, that might be kind of cool, but that's another thread). In this case, I'll choose 100 and 100 (percent or pixels) for a perfect circle of diameter 100. Then you enter the starting degree of where the text should enter the path -- I'll choose "0" for the top of the circle, then the number of degrees the text should follow the path. If I entered 720, the selected effect would follow the path of the created circle for two full times around the circle. If I entered 90, the text would start at the top of the circle, and run along the circle to the 90 degree mark, then stop.

OK, I gotta get going, but hopefully this sort of thing makes sense to somebody, especially David Michie! Am I completely off base here? This model may need a few tweaks, but it adds a whole new world of features within the existing Swish interface. Plus, I think it would use some of the math functions that David and crew are already using for some of the various text effects.

also, Almost forgot, there would also be a choice to "align to motion path." If it were checked, for example, text moving around a circular path would go upside down as it moved around the bottom of the circle. If the selection wasn't checked, the text would stay upright as it moved in a circular motion. Both would be desirable at different times, so as in Flash, having the option would be the best...

Have a good one...

Hey Flashopper

I dont know anything about programming, but your idea sounds verry workable to me. ~Jer~