A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ActiveX variable passing

Ok, I'm building a project that requires me to pass a simple integer via activeX from a flash movie to an app. This is used to send a track number from a set of buttons so that the app might use that data to control the playing of a cd. The app is capable of detecting events, getting and setting properties and calling methods. How do I do this?

First, I am able to notify the app of a button click via FSCommand- the only worthwhile event.

I am not sure how to push parameters through FSCommand, via activeX. I would like to attach a param that is the simple integer (1-15).

The other manner in which I think I might be able to have my app get info from flash is a GetVariable method - invoked by the FSCommand event.

Does anyone know any ActiveX--Flash variable passing techniques that work? I know it can be done.

By the way, I am working with a company that is developing a product (beta) called CDUltra. It is a derivative of ROM With A View. Demos can be downloaded at http://www.moonvalley.com . This product is capable of building bad ass Autorun CD projects with full ActiveX integration. This is THE Autorun App and I've done some pretty amazing stuff with it. Check it out.

Any one who provides me with a solution may be entitled to a download of a full version of our Rom With A View Director's Cut software (A $250 value). Basically, if you help me develop my project, I'm more than happy to give you a copy of the software.

Again thanx for the support folks!

What programming language?

There are examples of using VB and flash at http://www.planet-source-code.com

C/C++ examples can be found in macromedia's own release of the SDK for flash

AxtiveX Manipulation

The "language" I am using is a simple script that invokes activeX methods, gets and sets properties and detects events being fired. This is a way cool app that I have been using for about 3 months and I am already producing a multi-session CD for a record company in S.F.

It's called CDUltra and a demo of its little sister (ROM With A View Directors Cut) can be downloaded from http://www.moonvalley.com if you want to check it out.

Basically, it works kinda like the testcon32 that comes with visual studio- it allows full manipulation of activeX controls in a friendly GUI-design environment.

So I know I can get values via (get) property or calling a method that returns a value. Such as BG_COLOR. I really would like to know if anyone has used "getvariable" and how.

Thanks