A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ridiculous, nonsensical problem!!!!

OK, this is gonna sound ridiculous. and yet 2 experienced programmers cant figure it out.
    there are 2 input variables on the stage, 1 called IN1, the other called IN2, and a dynamic text field variable called output. all variables are set to accept only numbers. now here's where it gets tricky: on the button, I have attached this script:

on (release) {
    output=IN1+IN2;
    }

what keeps happening is that instead of adding the 2 numbers together, it is putting them next to each other, like a string. EG if you put in 5 for each variable instead of it adding up to 10, it displays 55. If i change the + sign to a - sign, it does the subtraction properly. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE? you may not believe me, but try it yourself.
    bill

I think it is because when taext is displayed in a text field it is converted to a string, so when you add the two variables together it is adding to strings together.

To add the two numbers together do this:

on (release) {
    output=number(IN1)+number(IN2);
    }

the reason why it works when you substact them is because it is imposssibe to subtract a string from another so Flash automatically converts both strings into numbers

that worked! Its strange though because I made an entire stock calculator without ever coming across this problem before. do you know if it's supposed to do that?
    thanks
    bill

did you build your calculator in flash 4?

no, flash 5- and i even have scripts like this

on (press, keyPress "<Enter>") {
    if ((IN2>3) and (IN2<5)) {
    TOTAL = (IN3-130)*IN1;
    VESTED = TOTAL*.75;
    MESSAGE = (T1+T2+T3)+" of your "+IN1+" options will be vested as of 12/29/04. Here's the projected value of your vested and unvested award.";
    UNVESTED = TOTAL-VESTED;
    }
    }

I think the things you encounterd only applied because the user input the values through text fields.

It's only when you try to add to values that the user has input that it will add them together as strings. If you try any other type of data manipulation then the two strings will be converted into numbers.

It's just because the command to add two strings together is the same as the comand to add to numbers together. ie .'+'.

Can be a bit confusing at times though!

i'll say- thanks for your help, tho!
    bill

Guess now you are a little more experienced programmer