A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can't keep a pixel font from anti-aliasing...

I am trying to use some pixel fonts in a Flash 5 movie. How do I prevent them from being anti-aliased without deanti-aliasing the whole movie? I have been told that by placing the text box at an x and y location set to a whole number would prevent anti-aliasing, but that doesn't seem to work.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks...

I am having the same problem. So I too would like to know.

1. go to http://www.miniml.com
    2. download desired pixel font
    3. use font sizes that are multiples of 8
    4. place font on whole numbers on the x and y coordinates
    5. presto magico!

if you download one of these fonts, there are more detailed instructions in the readme file.

gl

anti alias fonts

I tried that and I see that the font changes. It will be a little difficult to place my objects on whole numbers every time.

A prime example of the crisp letters are on the main page of flashkit. the menus in the blue boxes.

I don't see why it doesn't work,

still seeking help

well, the ones on the flashkit page aren't in flash!

same diffference though, right?

Smile found the fix

ok so it is a combination of things.

the fonts do have to be on whole numbers as well as checking device fonts in text options box.

that seemed to solve most of my problems. though I have to text boxes that are still blurry.

but thanks for your help.

Yeah I later realised that they are images....

I can get the pixel fonts to look great in flash but when I export it to dreamweaver I have the flash set to 100% width + height thus the text then becomes anti-aliased when viewing in a browser. Can someone help me out and tell me what i'm doing wrong?

it works it works!!!!

then little font doozy is one of the best little knacks i picked up in a while i'll try out on mysite tonight to see if the typr stays nice and tight

thank you

Originally posted by FlasherX01
    I can get the pixel fonts to look great in flash but when I export it to dreamweaver I have the flash set to 100% width + height thus the text then becomes anti-aliased when viewing in a browser. Can someone help me out and tell me what i'm doing wrong?
    Basically as soon as you change the physical movie size (i.e. 300 pix by 100 pix) to 100% of the browser size it means that the text you see is no longer 8pt or on a pixel boundary .... and then the text will anti-alias!

If you want the text to stay crisp you have to use physical/fixed movie dimensions.

Originally posted by squink
    1. go to http://www.miniml.com
    2. download desired pixel font
    3. use font sizes that are multiples of 8
    4. place font on whole numbers on the x and y coordinates
    5. presto magico!

if you download one of these fonts, there are more detailed instructions in the readme file.

gl
    ARRGHH! No wonder it wasn't working. I forgot to say "presto magico!"

Originally posted by tone001
    Originally posted by FlasherX01
    Basically as soon as you change the physical movie size (i.e. 300 pix by 100 pix) to 100% of the browser size it means that the text you see is no longer 8pt or on a pixel boundary .... and then the text will anti-alias!

If you want the text to stay crisp you have to use physical/fixed movie dimensions.
    Tone,

Is there anyway to keep the physical dimensions when inserting into dreamweaver but also have it set up to resize in different browser resolutions?

Not that i can think of, cos basically what you are asking is flawed .... the SWF can only be the size it was originally or a different size. If its any size other then the original one, your pixel fonts will anti-alias. It's just the way it is!

Personally I'm not a huge fan of re-sizeable flash stuff... I would suggest just picking a size which will work on most browsers. Generally people who run at higher resolutions do so because they want to get lots on the screen, not just one Flash window!

Sorry!

What do you reccomend as the best and most common Flash movie dimensions to use?

I wouldn't want to make a definitive recommendation as i mostly do 'hybrid' sites now, after a few years of doing total flash sites.

When i was doing them i tended to use 700 x 430 .... can't remember why now ... i think we did some maths and worked out that, that was the sapce left after all the interface is considered, running IE on 800x600.

Hope this helps!

(But personally I would ask that question in a more general forum to see what the others think!)

Thanks for the input Tone.

____
    Mike