A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flash SDK Site

Yah...the domain isn't there anymore. However, you can still get all the OpenSWF.org info at its old location:

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~dkl/swf

new constructor again

Jesse:
    Sorry for bothering you again about this subject of the constructors. Of course the 'new' constructor is the essence of C++, it's good and it's elegant. However, what I'm concerned about is that the MM SDK uses many thousands of them to build a regularly sized file, because every object is only a few bytes big. In a desktop application this poses no problem at all and the code really looks good as it is now. But in a server or service application that has to be running continously, the massive allocation of small objects from the process heap could become a very serious performance problem because of contention between threads (the heap is shared by threads in a proccess in WINNT) and because of heap fragmentation. All that, in addition to the problem of forgetting to deallocate a block, which you have already taken care of.
    I've been thinking a lot about it and maybe the simplest solution would be to override the standard new operator with a custom one that takes the memory from a bigger block allocated from the heap, this custom allocator could be very easy to implement since most or all of the objects are not deallocated until the very end of the file creation routine.
    So there might be a solution after all.
    Regards, Salomon.

I see

I see...this shouldn't be a problem with my SDK, because you can write the objects directly to the output stream (any iostream class based stream will work). So, once the object you are writing has been output, you can delete it. By doing this, you could allocate one object at a time and output it if there were memory concerns.

If a new operator constructor needs to be rewritten, that is a possibility still though. What do you think?

--Jesse

Java SDK

Just ran across your discussion while trying to find my own posting (and failed, BTW). So, is anyone interested in Java Flash SDK? It's already mostly finished (well, not the whole SDK, but rather framework, which is quite easy to extend - i used the same framework 4 parsing/writing MP3, GIF and SWF files and based on this framework Flash GIF/JPG/MP3 wrappers/substituters r successfully working at our company). If yes, let me know and i'll talk to my boss here (the stuff doesn't formally belong to me) - possibly he'd be interested in making this stuff public as much as i am.

vlad

new contructor

I've been playing with a simple constructor/destructor as simple as this:

char shrcBuff[50000];
    int shrcPtr;
    void *FShapeRec:perator new( size_t cb)
    {
    int t = shrcPtr;
    shrcPtr += cb;
    return (void*)(shrcBuff + t);
    }

void FShapeRec:perator delete( void*){
    ;
    }

and it works fine. Objects need not be deallocated, you just wait until the end of the movie and then reset the pointer shrcPtr, with a little more sophistication you have a perfectly good allocator for the task. So I am much more relaxed about the whole thing now. Thank you Jesse.

Re: Java SDK

Originally posted by scitrek
    Just ran across your discussion while trying to find my own posting (and failed, BTW). So, is anyone interested in Java Flash SDK? It's already mostly finished (well, not the whole SDK, but rather framework, which is quite easy to extend - i used the same framework 4 parsing/writing MP3, GIF and SWF files and based on this framework Flash GIF/JPG/MP3 wrappers/substituters r successfully working at our company). If yes, let me know and i'll talk to my boss here (the stuff doesn't formally belong to me) - possibly he'd be interested in making this stuff public as much as i am.

vlad
    Yes, many people are interested in a Java SDK and there is even already a partial SDK (Free Software under an Apache liscense) out.

There is an even higher demand though for a Java Flash Player that works on Flash 4 and 5.

The Java SWF project link is here http://www.anotherbigidea.com/javaswf/javaswf.html.
    [Edited by johnie on 01-22-2001 at 11:50 AM]