A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: .swf loads in perfect area on my system but not on my work pc

I have buttons,that when pressed, text loads next to them in the same scene. I set it up so that each button had its own corresponding .swf file that loads on "release". When generating the .swf's from the .fla file, I put special XY positioning in so they would load in an exact area of my main movie. It works fine on my home computer, but when I test it on my work system, every .swf loads in the top left hand corner of the movie (as if I never set the X/Y positions and levels)????? Anyone have any idea why?

hmm, does your work system has the same Flash plugin? it's as if one of the computer didn't read the Flash5 syntax. Anyway if you want to position loaded clips the best way woulld be in target. That's only my opinion, of course...
    gparis

No. It doesn't have same flash set up. I usually do my work at home and bring it to the office to test. This way I can see what other users are seeing. I tried to set up the location of the .swf's in the main movie, but it didn't work. Are you speaking of something specific when you reference "target"?

what I do is make all swf files the same size. That way when each swf gets loaded into there respective levels nothing gets changed. I just place all items where they should be on the stage.

dalara-rian

All the .swf's are the same size. How can you "place" the .swf where you want it? I am setting the X & Y positions & levels for the .swf's.

Say my main.swf is 800x600. On my main stage I have a button. When that button is pressed it loads another movie into level1. That level1 movie is also 800x600, that way you don't have to set the x or y. The loaded movies top left corner is automatically placed into the main movies top left corner. All I do then is place all information that I want in the loaded movie in the exact same postion I would want the stuff to be seen in the main movie. No actionscripting, no unwanted reactions.

Hope this helps,
    dalara-rian

OH MY GOD!!! That is excellent. I must have S&%$ for brians. I'm going to try it right now. That should definitly work. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

no worries

I find the easiest way to make sure everything is placed exactly where I want is to build everything onto the main.swf. Then I resave the file to whatever file name I what the loaded.swf file to have. Then I open the new resaved file and delete the stuff I don't want to load with that file. That way nothing is moved and nothing has changed execpt for what I want in the file. Just don't forget to go back to your main.swf file and delete the stuff you are having loaded in your new file.

That's it!

Dalara!! It worked! I just wanted to thank you. I appreciate your help!! You saved me a lot of aggrevation.