A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] Waving grass effect

Hi folks,
    Its been a while to be in here, but i've been working hard, not that you lot care.
    what i need is some helpful tips on producing waving grass for a movie i'm working on.
    i've got 2 characters and i want them standing in some grass on a low windy day, so the grass needs to be moving.

Thanks guys, once the movie is done i'll post it here for some comments..

FK's Official A&A Addict
    look at the waving hair tutorial

Hi there.

Ah dude.. I guess if you're pretty familiar with creating nested movie clips, the best way would be to :
    [*] Create 4-5 different blades of grass each about 40-50 frames long, with 10 frames in each of the grass swaying (5 one way, 5 returning to origin)
    [*] Place those blades in a clump and make that into another symbol. Repeat this until you've got 3 or more grass clump symbols..
    [*] Lay your clumps out randomly over a basic green grassy backdrop to hint at a big grass patch.. Don't try and have every blade of grass animating, just the odd tuft here at there using the clump symbols you made before.

Ah well, that's way I'd do it, it's better to hint at grass rather than going for out and out realism, or at least that's the way I see it, though it depends how much time you've got on your hands..

Be sure to post when you've got something happening, we love work in progress stuff here in A&A ..

Cheers

John

Originally posted by justice strike
    look at the waving hair tutorial
    any idea where this can be found?

^
    b
    u
    m
    p

5 time olympic gold medalist fiddlestick5's Avatar
    I usually just create a line (somewhat shaped like grass) and apply motion tweens to it.. making it look like it's bending.. just create a few different symbols with slight variations in speed and put them together..

I think this is what you're talking about..
    http://members.cox.net/toastybuns/temp/front.swf

except more.

You want to be careful with some of the techniques mentioned. I put this thing together a couple of years ago and I've never been happy with it. Tried upping the frame rate, yadayadaya. But never got it to transition smoothly using mcs.

http://www.tco.net/~phacker/dust.html

I think next time I would just use frame to frame and gradually pull my shapes out.
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).

5 time olympic gold medalist fiddlestick5's Avatar
    I think you just needed to extend the frames and ease it out and in a bit.. otherwise it looked fine.

This is a blast from the past

I think I ended up doing some grass in my old footer, which can be seen http://www.toonyisland.com/fk/cat_fish.html