A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: masking

hey...... is there any way to mask and imported image?
    and also i want to mask lines that were made in flash but it doesnt work the same way as the text. any help would be great.
    thanks
    bishop

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior
    It's not that hard to mask an imported image.
    It's excatly the same like masking everthing else.

In the masked layer put the image, and in the masking layer put the mask. Simple as that - Flash doesn't mind what's under the mask, it just masks it. Put the lines together with the image, and all will be fine/masked.

Hope it helps.

but...

when i do that it only outlines the image box. like on my footer, the planets. I dont just want the outline i want the image. (the image is square with the pic of the planet in it)

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior
    Sorry, my skills arn't that much for what you want.
    I can't help you in this matter, ask one of the moderators, they will shurly know.

Sorry for waisting your time, maybe next time...

FK Junkie
    If I understand correctly you just have your layers mixed up. Here look at my example to see if this is what is wrong:

-------------------------------------------------

INCORRECT METHOD

Mask Layer: Contains the actual imported image
    -->Secondary layer: no idea what you have here (in actuality, you probably never created this layer)

CORRECT METHOD

Mask Layer: Containes a circle the same size as the planet you wish to mask.
    -->Secondary layer: containes the actual imported image, make sure the planet is completly covered by the circle in the Mask Layer.

-------------------------------------------------

When you right click on a layer and select "Mask", flash will automatically make the layer directly below the "Mask" layer a secondary layer (indented under the "Mask" layer).

A good way to think of masks in flash is construction paper with a hole cut out of it. The topmost layer (Mask Layer) is the construction paper and anything on that layer will become the hole through wich all secondary layers (layers indented under the Mask Layer) are visible.

Hope you understand, respond if you don't and I will try to elaborate more .

ok thanks it works.. now i just need your imput on one more thing
    which footer is the best outta the three?

1.[swf width="280" height="70" background="#000000"]http://www.geocities.com/data_analysis_2000/footer2.swf[/swf]

2.[swf width="280" height="70" background="#000000"]http://www.geocities.com/data_analysis_2000/footer3.swf[/swf]

or the one in my sig

BOAD
    I like the second one

FK Junkie
    I like the second one but:

1) The moon to the leftmost planet is only visible when the wireframe wave hits it.

2) It may be cool to hide the planet behind the wireframe when it goes thru (Make the planet see-through when you see the wireframe)

I really do like the footer, just throwing out a couple ideas

thanks

I made the changes that you suggested. They look great.
    any more?