A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2Advanced .Gif Font?

Wink

What's the process to get real font to look so clear and crisp like the splash page of 2Advanced.com? I'm talking about the font that says "SITE REQUIREMENTS" and "BEST VIEWED WITH". It's a gif of some sort but what are the steps of creating it in Photoshop or other Gfx programs?
    By the way, anyone know which font that is?

Well it's not a special font or anything, nor has there been fooled around with the GIF, so my guess is it's a font that looks good small. Like Gill Sans, Rotis, and that sort of fonts.

i think its just small arial fonts. i see nuthin so special about that font. they're just good enough in making it look good =)

antialiasing

hi!

to create nice-looking type at a very small size,
    in photoshop you click the Type tool and enter your
    type, let's say at 8 points.

in the Type tool dialog box, deselect (uncheck) "antialiasing": your type will look less smooth (more jaggy), but at a very small size it looks a lot crisper.

the same type at, say, 14 points would look horrible.

extra note: when working with gifs, in Indexed color mode, the "antialiasing" option is unavailable in the dialog box and the Type tool generally doesn't work the same way it usually does (it doesn't create Type layers because extra layers are not supported by indexed color mode, etc). you need to convert the file to RGB mode, apply your type without antialiasing, then resave it as a gif file.

there are also specialized fonts out there that are optimized for use at very small sizes. here's a great address:

http://www.miniml.com/flash/index.html

hope this helps!
    [Edited by macmarts on 08-03-2001 at 02:34 PM]

eyethoughts.com
    thanks for the url