A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: "Swift 3D Vector Plug-ins " is it worth of buying??

I am planning to get this soon, i see many good thing about it on their official site. But, is it worth to spend my money on this plug-in ?? anyone already got it?? how is it?? need you guys suggestions...thanx!

I don't have it, but I have seen some exports first hand. I was thoroughly impressed. I saw a man running along a road and it was only 5k!!!!!! it looked fairly well too! it is a great investment because of the animation utilities... i wish i had max right now. i have a great idea for it!

worth it...

definitely worth it - just don't expect your textures (I have seen plenty of people complain about that) to make the jump into flash. otherwise, I can definitely say that the plug-ins are worth it.

I use the MAX Swift3D Plug-in (Vecta3D MAX 1.2 came with MAX 4.0 - and I NEVER use it) lots... just need to stop dabbling, and produce something.

busy schedules are a hindrance to creativity.

Originally posted by SteeL-SinK
    I am planning to get this soon, i see many good thing about it on their official site. But, is it worth to spend my money on this plug-in ?? anyone already got it?? how is it?? need you guys suggestions...thanx!

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

I recently finished a simple quiz game that required a mixture of quadruped and biped animation. Several custom controls were created for the animation. The nature of the animation (and the fact that the scene was close to 200K polys) made it impractical to consider sequences of .3DS files. The Swift 3D standalone was not useful from a practical standpoint. The Vecta3D-MAX plug-in produced very poor-quality results. In short, the project could not have been completed without either hand-filling the Vecta renders frame-by-frame or the Swift 3D-MAX plug-in.

If you don't mind the limitations of the Flash environment and you already have MAX, this is the one to buy.

hope that helps!

Originally posted by SteeL-SinK
    Is that from "Enter the Dragon"?

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

The jumpsuit makes me think it's from 'Game of Death.'

swift a winer? - which one?

I have lightwave 3d. which would be better, upgrading to 6.5 (400$) then purchasing the plugin (300$), or purchasing the stand alone program (140$). Is there such a large advantage to having the plugin, or does the stand alone program work well. another thing, when producing objects with lots of polygons, how does that effect the final size of the movie. when I say a lot, I mean like, 50,000. does it allow for wire frame production as well? Thanks.

matt

http://www.geocities.com/iamspamfan

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

The standalone imports .3DS files, which means you are automatically limited by the restrictions imposed by that file format. For many animations, those restrictions are substantial.

Yes, the plugin allows for wireframe rendering as well as some control over curve optimization at render time.

The relevance of the number of polys depends on the shading algorithm. With area shading, for example, the number of visible areas is more relevant than the total number of polys, although poly count always affects render time.

good luck!