A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game check, Electro Air Hockey from Electrotank

Hi guys,

It would be great if I can get some feed back on our new game.
    There are 2 main functions but only 1 is implemented. 1.) play through a host of A.I. opponents in a tournament and 2.) play time restricted game to place on the highscore board (not in yet)

Here are two links, both are the same game but the first has other swfs on the page which slow down the game.
    http://www.electrotank.com/games/pla....cfm?gameID=34
    and
    http://www.electrotank.com/lab/airhockey.html

We are in the process of switching over the Flash navs on our site to jpgs/gifs to increase performance.

Over the next week or so I will be tweaking the difficulty level and adding/editing features. Thanks in advance for feedback!

Nice. Are the AI players supposed to get harder as you advance? Went through the first 5 levels, and they seemed pretty a consistent level.

Performance was pretty good here (PIII 533). Couple of tiny pauses, but no effect on playability. The only real problem I had was that if you hit the puck with the mouse moving too fast, multiple hits are registered, and the puck can immediately come back towards you.

Also, trivial one, you'd probably be better to hide the cursor over the playfield. Anyway, nice job.

Cheers

EXCELLENT.

Only complaint is that it felt like often the puck was hitting an invisible radius around the paddle, but I assume that if you shrunk the radius, there would be risk of situations where the puck went through the paddle, right? So no biggie.

Great job (AGAIN!)

Very, very cool! Great concept and executed very well! One of the slickest flash games around.

Great work as usual.

Worked fine on my computer [ 866 mhz ].

I'll understand if you don't want to share but I just posted another thread regarding security of games on line and I have a question for you.

I fished out yours fron cache and I expected it not to play locally on my machine. As expected it did not. can you tell me what scripting you use to make sure games play only on your site [ without compromising your games' security ].

Thanks

Below is a copy of my other post:

>Hi Guys,

I noticed some sites like electrotank have a better system of protecting games [ you cannot get them out of your cache and play localy ]

I don't know how exactly they do it, but I'm thinking of getting a script which would check that GAME.swf file plays only if located on a specified [ yours or my ] server.

Does anybody have any ideas or scripts which would do this.
    How can .swf file check whether it is on a particular server and refuse to play if it's not.<

Hi kolegaboy,

There is no way to 100% protect your stuff but you can make it harder to steal.

In Flash there is a _url property. Make a movie and run this action:
    trace(_url);
    and you will see.

You can use _url to check to see if your game is being run from the correct domain. This is a quick and easy way to do protection.

I am in fact using 3 ways, each would work by them selves but I like the added protection. Anyone looking to swipe and edit the SWF will have to do some research and have a binary editor. Not impossible just makes it not worth while to most thieves. These other 2 ways I'll be keeping to myself for a while. _url should be good enough to deter almost all hackers from stealing your stuff. They can still link to the actual file on your site but thats it.

Good luck!

Thanks Jobe!

Something tells me I should have known that :-)

Congratulations on winning with your minigolf game.

That is the best flash game I have played so far.

i found it ran great on my 900mhz!! duh. but i did have one problem, no person i have ever met has had an arm as long as half the table, sorry, im not usually very picky, but i thought the fact that you could go anywhere on your half, made it a bit les challenging. I dunno.

i also thought it was kinda hard t control, but thats probably because im playing it at 4 AM and trying to use my WACOM not my mouse....hmmmm////mabey

again good job though

i thought it was great although it was a tad easy, played right the way through and was not scored against once

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone.

I will be tweaking the code a bit to make the difficult levels even more difficult.

Anti-matter0: You found it hard to control? I am wondering if you'd have any suggestions as to better control. I cannot imagine better control, mouse controlled movement of the mallet seems the only obvious choice.

Thanks again everyone.

Well, I hated it...

Only because it reminded me of how much I like playing the game, though. (There's nowhere local that has it )

I'm running a PII 300 and it was perfect for me.

I also found it easier to use my Wacom but I love it and use it every day.

I didn't like the way the puck got caught under the paddle, but I tend to do that in real life so it made it more realistic.

For a bit more realism, just graphically, maybe you should add the little air holes.

Not much else to say really.

Good job.

Thanks for the feedback.

Im not sure if I'll ever attempt to resolve the puck getting stuck under the paddle issue or the other similar issue in the corner.

The little holes were discussed but that many more vectors on the screen slows down the rendering.

For anyone who is interested I made the AI dudes a *lot* harder to beat.

Great idea! I like the movement of the puck, but was wondering why the actual puck never reaches the paddle?

Anyways, keep up the good work.

Andy
    Andy@art-barn.com

Hi Andy,

I programmatically increased the radius to reduce the likely hood of moving the mallet straight through the puck. I have recently developed frame independant collision detection code that I may put in there. That would make it so I can use the real radii and not have to worry

:)

hi, this is a little 'off topic' i know, but could i please have the font you used in your golf game.
    thanks
    ./m

FetteMittelschrift

Sorry, above is the name of the font.

thanks for the reply
    ive looked around the web but i cant find it
    could i trouble you to e-mail it to me @ matthewbenney85@hotmail.com
    thanks

./m

Hi,

I am sorry but I am not sure that this font is free and I don't know where I got it. I cannot just email it to you because I don't want to break any laws. According to its properties the copywrite info says URW & SoftMaker, Inc 1992

Hope that helps.

i done a search on google and it came up on a free fonts page but the link was broken