A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Resolved] getURL, mailto, projector and win2k (breathe...)

I just want to insert a quick line about how great FlashKit is. I couldn't have done nearly as much in such a short amount of time without it! Now, on to my problem...

I have a flash project that utilizes the getURL action in combination with the mailto: syntax to open up an email client on the host computer when a user clicks on a linked button. This appears to work fine when I export the project as a .swf file and drop it on a web browser. However, when I export a projector for the opening file in the presentation (the rest are .swf movies loaded throughout the presentation) and then run the projector on my Windows 2000 box, the getURL mailto: links don't do anything. I click on them, but the computer just sits there. Again, the very same .swf files do this without a problem when using a web browser as a means of playback. It's the projector playback I'm having the problem with (and yes, a projector is the desirable means of playback as this is for a CD).

Can anyone offer any help or insight into why this is happening? I think it's a Win2k issue, as the projector version appears to work on a different computer running Win98. I would REALLY like a work-around for this, if Win2k is at fault. I don't want to put on the CD label that it requires Win98 and can't fully function under Win2k.

Thanks a ton (in advance, of course).

Someone once told me, and I've seen several Flash support threads, that claim this is an issue for Windows 2000- I couldn't find any documentation on that problem on the Macromedia site this is what MM has http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...eshooting.html

There is a third party solution and if you still need further and nobody posts a better solution I'll post it.

To my knowledge it is a bug.. the only fix being 3rd party app's or command line calls (icky DOS/Command Line window)

You also didn't note that when it calls the default browser it places it in the background of the projector

How to workaround...

Thanks for the help. I didn't notice the web browser being in the background until after I started this thread and then did some more experimenting with the getURL action.

My next question is how exactly do I work around this bug with a 3rd party app? I am already utilizing ftools to help me open pdf's in acrobat from the projector file (they work great!). Can ftools be used to help me out here? If so, how? The web browser maybe doesn't seem quite so difficult, but the mailto seems a bit harder, since I am using it to auto-fill in an email message with:

"mailto:somebody@something.com?subject="add subject add "&body=" add

How do I use a 3rd party app AND have this functionality? I would really like to have this thing run under the larger gamut of Windows flavors (9x, ME, 2k) without problems, as I am not totally sure of the distribution target of the disc.

Thanks for any help you can give me, even if it is just to say "No, that will never work."

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar

SWF Studio (www.northcode.com) is one of those "third party apps" that can get rid of the nasty DOS boxes and help with your email problems.

Check out the Email example at http://www.northcode.com/free/ff2001 and look at the documentation for the SMTPSend plugin at http://www.northcode.com/plugins

Flash Command Line Tools v5.0 works on all windows platform from 95 on up.. (special consideration goes to dependencies on ftoolmci and a mp3 codec though) meaning it will just do what flash fails to do in all platforms..

As noted right here..
    http://flashtools.net/tutorials/system_requirements.htm

I'm not sure how much of the mailto command is supported but to do a mailto: command just do

ftoolapp.exe mailto:whoever@wherever.com

I'm pretty sure you can add the subject line but not sure about other possible variables.. (don't forget to use $ for spaces)

When you open your html files just use
    ftoolapp.exe open /normal somefile.htm
    or you should be able to get away without using the open and /normal commands so this should work too
    ftoolapp.exe somefile.htm

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had time to get back to that particular procject until today. Sorry for the lag.

I tried the ftools solution and it works - mostly. I would like to be able to pass the form data in the flash file to the email program, though. I have a form that a user types in his/her email address, a subject line and then the message. Under Win98, this all works great using the getURL command and handing the data off to Outlook Express.

The Master says I can probably at least get the subject line to go over to the email program using the ftools approach, but how exactly do I do that? Right now, my actionscript for the button looks like this:

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "ftoolap.exe" add chr (9) add "mailto:somebody@something.com"
    }

The way it looks using the getURL command (which is the functionality I'm after - I just need to mimic it under a win2k projector since it doesn't work there) is like this:

on (release) {
    Subject = "Message from:" add name add " <" add address add "> ";
    getURL (mailto:somebody@something.com?subject=" add subject add "&body=" add message);
    }
    on (release) {
    input = Name;
    }

Any ideas? Anyone? I've tried the SWF Studio solution mentioned in this thread, but I'm not having much luck there either at the moment (http://www.northcode.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=103).

Thanks so much for any help you can give.

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "ftoolap.exe" add chr (9) add "mailto:somebody@something.com?subject=" add escape(subject) add "&body=" add escape(message);
    }

That should work, but I haven't tried it

Originally posted by azzyt

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "ftoolap.exe" add chr (9) add "mailto:somebody@something.com?subject=" add escape(subject) add "&body=" add escape(message);
    }

That should work, but I haven't tried it
    See, I should have tested it first. That doesnt work, but this does:

on (release) {
    subject = "lalala";
    message = "whwhowhwo";
    fscommand ("exec", "ftoolapp.exe" add chr(9) add "mailto:somebody@something.com?subject=" add escape(subject) add "&body=" add escape(message));
    }

Substitute subject and message for your own, of course.

Oh, thank you so much! I didn't know it would be that little of work (relatively speaking, of course)!

I can't say thanks enough. Again, thank you!

Happy Flashing,
    Matt

how do you setup fttool exe

hi i was directed to this chain as i have the same problem.
    i have a cd projector that i am making on win 2000 and can't get the mailto: action to work and and saw this application but i'm not sure how i set it up to work so the email works could you please advise me?
    thanks

You can also try using LPFlashEx to do the task.

Use the "open" action which can open documentes, website and send mail

LP.exec{"open",YourMailToContent);

LPFlashEx Manager in the product will set your project up and it also include code tester which you can see syntex and test the code directly

Is there anyway to get the browser window to pop up on top of the projector?

I'm Not sure if there is a way to do it directly from Projector, although I’ve seen this question before but all the answers involved a third party tool..

Basically you can do this very easily in Flash 'N Pack, and better yet you can even have a Browser window inside your Flash Movie and look, behave like a normal flash Clip..

Take a look at this demo:

http://www.flashnpack.com/samples/do...webbrowser.exe

You can get a FREE trial version of flash 'N pack here:

http://www.flashnpack.com

The source for the above demo is included with the Trial version....

Did you know with Flash 'N pack you will have access to more then 150 fscommans ....

LPFlashEx "open" command can automatically pop up the document you open to the top.

Now, LPFlashEx let you contorl external window even MUCH more. AS not to repeat too much, check for the post
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=340195

or have a look at our website.

Thanks, Flash N' Pack and Justmade. I've downloaded both and haven't gotten either to work yet.
    In Flash 'N Pack my loadmovie commands are not working. In the preview window the movies load and function fine but when I run the .exe they don't.

Originally posted by speck
    Thanks, Flash N' Pack and Justmade. I've downloaded both and haven't gotten either to work yet.
    In Flash 'N Pack my loadmovie commands are not working. In the preview window the movies load and function fine but when I run the .exe they don't.
    It's easy to do :
    Here is how:

If your Movie is in the same Directory as the projector .exe file then you would use this under a button:

Code:

on (release) {
    	result = [SrcDir] add "Movie2.swf";
    	loadMovieNum (result, 0);
    }

Note the Flash Variable [SrcDir] which returns the Path to where the projector.exe is running from...

If you Embed your Movie .swf file inside the .exe file trough ADD Files Section then you would use :

Code:

on (release) {
    	result = [TempDir] add "Movie2.swf";
    	loadMovieNum (result, 0);
    }

Where [TempDir] holds the Path to Windows Temp Folder. To learn more about the Predefined variables please go here : http://www.flashnpack.com/help

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate our product if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to contact us @ support@flashnpack.com

try this simple example we have just made for another user.

you can replace the URL in the button onRelease event

on(release){
    LP.exec("open",URL);
    }

http://www.lpflashex.com/dl/SampleForSimon.zip (50KB)

publish to exe and click the button, the browser on the top. Shift back to flash and click the button again, the browser again bring back to top.

The "open" function, along with other 40+ functions is standard version and is free for self use and cost only US$20 to register.

Note that LPFlashEx work with the projector published by Flash and you dont have to change anything of your original code. You also dont need to worry about if the end user has Flash up to your version installed or not. It is just your normal projector + extra functionality.

I would prefer not to change all my loadmovie code if I can get away with it.

I'll test out the LPFlash soulution some more.

Thanks