A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCROLLER TUTORIAL

I thought I'd make a quick tutorial on a 'SCROLLER'. I hope it helps everyone. The tutorial isn't hard. So, I'm not making the swi available. If you have any questions please feel free to ask ... please keep all questions on this thread.
    [swf width="202" height="219" background="#ffd03b"]http://www.total-impact.com/images/reviews/scroll2.swf[/swf]
    The tutorial is slightly different from the swf you see above. In the tutorial, the buttons will not change color. Please let me know if I'm missing any steps.
    There will be more tutorials in the next few months.

The swf is only 10.5k.
    Please try the tutorial ... if you get stuck post a question here.

UPDATE
    JUST MADE A NEW AND COMPLETELY UPDATED PDF FILE THAT SHOULD BE EASY FOR EVERYONE TO FOLLOW. CHECK IT OUT AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. FOR EVERYONE THAT'S ON A SLOW CONNECTION ... NOW, I HAVE THE INTERFACE DOWNLOAD PRIOR TO THE TEXT (GIF). YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN IF YOUR CONNECTION IS SLOW.
    [Edited by velez on 12-25-2001 at 02:42 AM]

Godfather of SWiSH
    Great looking scroller!!!................................One question?? where is the link to the SWI

L8R

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    nice job velez...
    just noticed, the scroller has a few speeds, did u mean to do it that way?

SWiSH Forum
    FlaX FX Forum

Joe, I can't see anything except where it should be. Also your footer is not there either, again I can see where it should be. Is your server down or is it just me?

UNified

NOW THATS A SCROLLER.

What a delight to see such quality getting posted..Pretty stylish as well.

yes. swi please!

Senior Member - never forgotten

OH Velez....

that scroller is so neat....BUT...WHAT DO YOU MEAN ITS NOT HARD...??? It may not be to you...but it would take me 2 days to figure it out...and even then I'd be lucky...PLEASE, PLEASE..post the .swi....
    Honestly...!!! what seems easy to some of you..is Greek to the rest of us....!!! lol....

celery....
    velez doesn't need to post the swi b/c he gave the directions in the scroller. if you follow 'em, you'll get one of your own (but do it for the concept more than to copy the scroller).

If only it was that easy

Originally posted by persaltier
    celery....
    velez doesn't need to post the swi b/c he gave the directions in the scroller. if you follow 'em, you'll get one of your own (but do it for the concept more than to copy the scroller).

Hi persaltier,

I agree with Celery. Ive been mucking around for about an hour or so and still have not come anywhere close. I don't want an exact copy, just the basics. Obviously you have greater knowledge than us mere newbies, so would you be so kind to create a rough swi demo of the above? Sometimes its just easier to see it actually running in Swish.

Hope you can help,

Cheers,

Unc.

Persaltier

I hope you don't mean that I "copy" someones work...CAUSE I DON'T...I like the swi's so I can see for myself...and even then half the time I can't figure them out.....the only swi affect I ever actually copied and pasted was KINGCREW'S raindrop.....But I plan on doing one of my own because thats the only way I'll learn...but seeing how his was done is a great help..!!
    I read Velez's instructions....and I would find it hard if not impossible to follow along with that....We all learn differently....Sheesh..there is no guarantee even with his swi that I could replicate it...!!! BUT LETS BE CLEAR ON ONE THING....I do not want to COPY Velez's scroller....!!!!!!!!!!

celery...

not at all...my point was merely that by copying the tutorial, you'll get a working scroller. by understanding the concept behind the scroller, you'll be able to create your own scroller. kinda like the teach a person to fish and they'll always have something to eat theory.

we've all been at the point where we look at someone elses work to see how it's done. i've done it... but at some point, it's good to go beyond the script kiddie basics and really learn the concepts, the theory behind the actions...so that you can then improve upon it and shed your own angle of creativity to the swish culture.

unc-

i didn't actually follow velez's instructions...they didn't make sense?

Thank You Unc

I"m glad you understand....!!! Anybody who has seen my pathetic work, knows I don't copy....Look at Ziggy's picure pan swi that he posted...Mine is very different than his...and it is evident that I didn't copy and paste...BUT WITHOUT HIS SWI...I would have never figured it out on my own....
    I need the visual..hell, I can't even follow the instructions on a cake mix box....!!! LOLO....Read be damned...I have to SEE....!!!!

Please try the tutorial ... if you get stuck post a question here.

Here are some pointers for the tutorial:
    1. Bezier - vector shape. This is the black portion of this tutorial.
    2. Merged shape - the UP/DOWN arrows. Both the UP and DOWN arrows are a group of vectors. You do not need to create a merged shape. A simple triangle will suffice.
    3. Info image is a transparent image with text. Keeps file size small and the text is crisp. Image is 965 pixels in height.

OKAY, OKAY...I'LL TRY.....!!!!

But I may never recover from the mental stress....!!!! lol. Just keep bumping this post up okay....lolo

Why a "trans image" for the text?
    Why not import a .txt fle?

Velez

Love the scroller. Very stylized. Just noticed it kinda runs backwards dont it? Usually when you down arrow or down slide a scroller the text goes up and vice versa.

Guess it dont realy matter.

~Jer~

TOUCHE'

it's good to go beyond the script kiddie basics and really learn the concepts, the theory behind the actions...so that you can then improve upon it and shed your own angle of creativity to the swish culture.

celery..

the tutorial isn't the easiest to follow. think of it like this:
    you've got an area that's one sprite - the content that you're going to scroll up and down. create this content, and then place a 'move' action along this sprite's timeline that moves the sprite in a direction.

you've got buttons in another sprite - when u roll over these buttons, they tell (tell target) the scroll sprite to either move up or down (forward or backwards in the scroll timeline) by however many frames you tell it to move. how you choose to control the movement is up to you.

OKAY MAN......!!!

I'm sitting here with a nice fresh BLANK MOVIE in front of me....and I read Velez's tut that says..."build 2 sprites"
    ( I don't mean to be dumb...I just am..)
    So how do I do that...???
    Do I start making the shapes for the arrows as my button sprite...??
    OH lord...I did that..and I"m still lost....I made an "up arrow" and a "down arrow"... I selected both of them...and grouped as a button.....then I selected the button and converted it to a sprite...now I"ve got a hell of a mess..a button within a sprite....oh lord....!!!
    OKAY DELETE THAT.....

Start again...I have now made an up arrow and a down arrow. ...My Outline reads like this...
    Scene 1
    bezier
    bezier (and I "ain't doing anything more till I hear from someone....!!!!!) lololol

Now what do I do.....???? I can see from his tut that he probably made another arrow and changed it slightly for a mouse over effect....but I thought you did that after the button was made to change the over and down look of your button....OH GOD....!!!Do I select them both and convert to a button or what...See...I told you I don't know ....when you are doing tuts for "newbies" you have to walk them through every step. ..cause just saying BUILD 2 SPRITES...means squat diddly to me....lolo.....thats why it helps to see a swi....I think everybody who writes a tut should pass it thru Celeryharts' "idiot test"...to make sure the masses can understand it....LOLO..
    I know I"m not alone....I could end up spending the rest of the day trying like hell to figure this out....I'm losing it already....And I just don't have the time....BIG TIME POUT !!!!!
    OH well....!!!! May attempt it later..but sheesh...I"m exhausted already.....!!!!

gjkillam,
    This is why: blank swf with ...
    imported txt - swf size (8396, font size 10; 8011, font size 8); text - blurry (hard to read)
    image - swf size 5570; text easy to read

Jerry T,
    It all depends how you look at things. If I see an UP arrow ... I want things to go up. If I see a DOWN arrow ... I want things to go down. Now, If it was a drag feature it would be vice versa.
    That's just the way I think.
    But, like you said ... it really doesn't matter.

PS. You've been a GREAT help to this community the past few months. I'm looking forward to some of your Tell Target tutorials/swi.

persaltier,
    If you had a hard time just imagine the newbies. Let me know what I can change. I tried to keep it short and simple. The text image I used is already 965 pixels in height.

celery,
    I know you can do it! The most important part is learning the Tell Target. Do some search on Tell Target and you will be amazed at what you can do.
    [Edited by velez on 08-07-2001 at 01:27 PM]