A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SCROLLER TUTORIAL

Re: Change the onpress to onrollover

Originally posted by Jerry T
    then it will work the same. Unless Joel is giving away a prize why would it matter if you do it his way which appears to be much more difficult or an easier way? Not a biggy to me which one you use. I just hope it helps you.

~Jer~
    Jer,

It definitely helps me out a lot. I guess I am just curious as to where I went wrong for future reference to following directions in other tutorials. The only way to learn is by practice and more practice.

Ken

Re: Re: Change the onpress to onrollover

Originally posted by county advertiser
    Originally posted by Jerry T
    then it will work the same. Unless Joel is giving away a prize why would it matter if you do it his way which appears to be much more difficult or an easier way? Not a biggy to me which one you use. I just hope it helps you.

~Jer~
    Jer,

It definitely helps me out a lot. I guess I am just curious as to where I went wrong for future reference to following directions in other tutorials. The only way to learn is by practice and more practice.

Ken

Still looking for help with my problem!!!

Ken

Re: What did I do wrong :(

Originally posted by county advertiser
    Can someone tell me what I did wrong. Thought I followed the tut to a T. Well maybe not to a T, only used 12 lines of text.

http://www.countyadvertiser.net/vargos/scroller1try.swf

http://www.countyadvertiser.net/vargos/scroller1try.swi
    bump

I don't know what you're trying to do. If you follow the tut 'to a T' I will help you out.

Originally posted by velez
    I don't know what you're trying to do. If you follow the tut 'to a T' I will help you out.
    Okay,

If you go to the swf you will see what is happening. I have the swi there also. See my last post above. Am trying to make a scroller like the one you had in the tut. I thought I was following the instructions right, but something went wrong and I really don't know where. I am going to need the scroller for a project I am working on.

Thanking in advance for your help.

Ken

I cannot believe the tutorial is that hard to understand.

This tutorial makes an assumption that you already know your way around Swish. I apologize from now on I will make it a point to place a 'This tutorial is for intermediate to advance users.'

ken,
    To many mistakes on your movie. Go back to the PDF. Follow directions carefully. Look at the images they will help. Here's some pointers:
    1. You have your buttons in the wrong location and you gave them the wrong actions. Name your buttons button1, button2, button3, and button4. This will make it easy for you. Check the actions given to each button. Look at the PDF carefully. Take notice on the alignment of each action.
    2. Don't use Transform. If you use Transform you need to change some of the settings. IE. Scale> 100 and Cascade> uncheck Enable cascade. This is why you see each letter cascading.
    3. The tutorial specifically says "cut and paste 25 times in the text box'. It doesn't say cut and paste 25 times into the scene. This is just a quick way to place text in this movie.
    4. On 'GoTo Previous Frame' you must uncheck Play. Press Goto Previous Frame and you will see Play at the bottom. Make sure it's unchecked.

Make another swf and repost. It will benefit you if you start from scratch. If you have any problems with the new swf I will help.

My mask only seems to be masking the bottom of my scroll area not the top. I was having trouble figuring out masking for a while, After several days of wanting to throw my computer along with my programming degree (for all the good it does me!!!) out the window - I finally got it (I wasn't moving the image I wanted to use as the mask to the bottom of the outline - it's always something stupid) but when I duplicated my efforts in my actual project - I got the above problem. I'm beginning to feel very mentally challenged.

I tried posting the file for download but when I download the swi file and try to open it I get an unexpected file format - so anyless any one can figure out my problem with out seeing the swi file I need help there to. (I tried uploading the file in both ascii and binary niether works.)

Thanx
    Moorea
    [Edited by moorea on 08-30-2001 at 03:26 PM]

moorea

I'm not sure how you have your swi set up ... but, the bottom Object (text, vector or image) in your sprite will be the mask. For example, if you have a circle at the bottom (the very last item on the OUTLINE window) your mask will be that circle. Hope that helps.

still stuck!