A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SCROLLER TUTORIAL

Here's mine.......Hope this works

Didnt work Tried adding it to the center of this page, but havnt any idea how to do it. Here is the .html page.

http://www.web-side.com/users/jer/scrollit.html

~Jer~

Here is the swi:

http://www.web-side.com/users/jer/scrollit.swi
    [Edited by Jerry T on 08-07-2001 at 07:56 PM]

jerry

Nice scroller ... I'm not to crazy about the rollover you have on the 'bar'. If you move to fast you loose the hold on the bar. A rollover on the arrows with the bar going up or down would have been excellent. (Less work for the user.) Oh yea, if you want to center the swf ...

[*swf width="300" height="40" background="#FFDDBB"]http://www.yoururl.com/myfooter.swf[/swf]

Try this one out...it can be modified to have a rollover effect on the buttons simply by adding a sprite. The setup is very simple compared to others I have seen and srolls very smooth.

http://members.home.net/brad-taylor/scroll.swf
    http://members.home.net/brad-taylor/scroll.swi

JerryT helped me modify it and I think it is the best setup I have seen.

bradt~

Thats one sweet scroller. That Jerry T guy must be some kind of a damned genius or sumthin

Ive been thinking on this scroller thingy. Wait until you see what I post tomorrow. I just thought it up, but now Im off to work.

Check this thread tomorrow,

~Jer~

Originally posted by velez
    I thought I'd make a quick tutorial on a 'SCROLLER'. I hope it helps everyone. The tutorial isn't hard. So, I'm not making the swi available. If you have any questions please feel free to ask ... please keep all questions on this thread.
    [swf width="202" height="219" background="#ffd03b"]http://www.joevelez.com/v2/scroll2.swf[/swf]
    The tutorial is slightly different from the swf you see above. In the tutorial, the buttons will not change color. Please let me know if I'm missing any steps.
    There will be more tutorials in the next few months.

The swf is only 10.5k.
    Please try the tutorial ... if you get stuck post a question here.

Here are some pointers for the tutorial:
    1. Bezier - vector shape. This is the black portion of this tutorial.
    2. Merged shape - the UP/DOWN arrows. Both the UP and DOWN arrows are a group of vectors. You do not need to create a merged shape. A simple triangle will suffice.
    3. Info image is a transparent image with text. Keeps file size small and the text is crisp. Image is 965 pixels in height.
    [Edited by velez on 08-07-2001 at 05:55 PM]
    Great scroller and I ned one for a new site I am working on.
    I will try to put it together later.

I just want to know now how you guys are getting those miniml.com fonts to work! Monkeypants gave an explanation earlier in the day saying you had to align them in fractions of pixels at font sizes of multiples of 8. I tried and nothing! Whats up with these crisp fonts? I need help.

UNified

Thanks for the Tut

I hope the footer says it . (if I have not stuffed it up)
    Some questions...I followed the mix of both tutorials but cant loose the flicker on the direction arrows...Ill keep working on that one. Also Ive played with adjusting the Transforms length to get a better start finish position and the move distance..I guess its actual text placement thats critical???
    Your explanations have been the best Ive seen on the concepts of sprites. Thanks

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    ok...so i'm getting it more and more...
    [swf height="40" width="300" bgcolor="#FFFFFF"]http://www.makisupa.com/flash/grow.swf[/swf]

but, 2 things. one, when i just play the effect, the animation is smooth. when i grow it incrementally, it's quite choppy.

i'm still not sure why just having one button for each direction isn't sufficient. when rolled over, the button tells the text sprite to move one frame in a specific direction, stop, and then return the scene to frame "0", right? why wouldn't the same button then cause the sprite to move another frame again given that the mouse is still over the button, causing it to play. why the need for 2 buttons?
    [Edited by persaltier on 08-08-2001 at 11:18 AM]

Heres one I've made
    [swf width="341" height="180" background="#667495"]http://www.truimage.net/scroll1.swf[/swf]

Heres where to dl the swi
    http://www.truimage.net/scroll1.swi

Senior Member - never forgotten

VERY NICE MY DEAR

I will attempt to understand just what you did.....thanks for sharing...
    I gave up on Velez's tut...Monkeypant's tut, at least I got it to move....lolo..but my up/ down arrows were flickering like a candle....UUGGHH.......!!!!So it is unuseable..Sigh...!!!
    I"m doing a tutorial from the program right now...but will study yours later...
    Again...nice job...!!!

**bump**

velez-

any answers as to what i'm talking about? jerryt? roger? david?

Rykor! I like it!

Glad you all liked it. You can dl the swi from my last post on this thread. Also I've submitted it to the Swish movie section, it should be up there in the next day or so.

Originally posted by persaltier

i'm still not sure why just having one button for each direction isn't sufficient. when rolled over, the button tells the text sprite to move one frame in a specific direction, stop, and then return the scene to frame "0", right? why wouldn't the same button then cause the sprite to move another frame again given that the mouse is still over the button, causing it to play. why the need for 2 buttons?
    [Edited by persaltier on 08-08-2001 at 11:18 AM]
    Think of it this way.
    An OnRollover is a mouse action. If you are not doing nothing than there is no mouse action.
    An OnRollover is exactly that ... a roll (mouse) over on an object. Not a over the object.

Originally posted by velez

Think of it this way.
    An OnRollover is a mouse action. If you are not doing nothing than there is no mouse action.
    An OnRollover is exactly that ... a roll (mouse) over on an object. Not a over the object.
    see, that's the thing. since an onrollover IS a mouse action, by rolling over the arrow, the sprite should cause the tell target to move once, return to its original state and then since when the SWF returns to the original frame (0), it finds the mouse in an OnRollover state, and performs the same action again. what am i missing here?

UNified
    Persaltier, one button for each direction...there is no need for two at all...I am anti tiny little direction buttons anyhow, just scroll over the surface. On my footer there are two transparent boxes...those little arrows are there as an indication only. Ive never seen arrows on book pages or newspapers and any way of reducing the demand for mouse accuracy has got to be a good thing..I think

Originally posted by persaltier
    see, that's the thing. since an onrollover IS a mouse action, by rolling over the arrow, the sprite should cause the tell target to move once, return to its original state and then since when the SWF returns to the original frame (0), it finds the mouse in an OnRollover state, and performs the same action again. what am i missing here?
    The roll over only occurs when the mouse actually breaks the barrier of background and the image. It doesn't stay in a state of rollover.

persaltier,
    I don't think you understood what I meant. SquareGuru has the right idea.

Oh yea, did you ever figure out the 'flicker' problem?
    Also, did you notice the 'hand' mouse icon is not visible on OnRollover as other scrollers have shown? (No one has mentioned this.)

JOFTA.....lolo.

Good grief...I love your footer....lolo...I can remember singing that song when I was a kid...in Canada....!!! Waltzing Matilda....!!!!! Haven't heard that for 45 yrs....How funny !!!!
    Yes, that makes more sense to me to...to have the transparent boxes under the arrows at both ends of your footer. Now if you want to share that .swi.. I may actually learn how to do it......lolo..
    I can see Velez's "simple scroller" turned out NOT to be so simple after all....lolo....
    Thanks...

UNified
    As soon as I work out where it is, its yours Celery. I'll attach it to the footer...when I find it

GOT IT...AND THANKS....

I will certainly attempt this today.....it looks real smooth...I like it....
    Hummmmmmmm......did you read Velez's last post...No I didn't notice that the hand icon didn't show up on his scroller......it shows on yours....Interesting...!!!! He is so friggen talented.....I envy him...!!!
    Well, I'll worry about that later....if I don't learn how to do this..the "hand " won't show up on mine either....lolo..
    Oh lord...here goes....!!!!