A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: >>>>>>>>CD protection plz.. <*;*>

hi everyone,it seems that i'll never stop coming baqck here and asking againa anada again
    first
    1.im working on a CD-card,need to keep my contents on the cd so that no one copy it...simple as that
    there is no second for now...maybe next time
    well ,just one last word...............HEAIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLP PPPPP

Not possible.

Actually, there is a way to prevent it from being copied. My friend added a script to his CDs that if someone tries burning them, it frys their computer.

I don't really want to ask him for it for fear it will fry my or someone else's computer, but it is posible.

okay,how come guys its not possible,i found lots of protection programs for .EXE,but still not enought,i have web pages on my CD how can i stop anyone from copying them,i WANT TO PROTECT MY CD

You can NOT DO IT.

Why do you have web pages on your cd? is it so people can VIEW these web pages?

TO VIEW A FILE YOU HAVE TO HAVE ACCESS TO THAT FILE.

This is SIMPLE to understand. A web browser OPENS A FILE. the same way notepad OPENS A FILE.

You can NOT protect against that.

Now, if you want to pay Macrovision lots of money I'm sure they'll let you license SafeDisc.

But SafeDisc doesn't stop people from copying files. It only prevents them from copying the WHOLE CD. and even then, it still has to be used with an executable to check for errors on the cd.

AND EVEN THEN, IT CAN STILL BE COPIED.

There is nothing you can do to protect your cd other than taking sandpaper to the bottom of it and breaking it up into 100 pieces, and that's the straight facts.

Lightbulb A way out!!!

OK...here is a way.....out

Its not foolproof but it will give you a few nights sleep!

The others are right when they say that there aint a nickel worth program out there that can prevent CD copying( shame on you'll....microsoft-o-macromedia-o-etc!)

BUt...U can do something wherein your Flash project be it on a cd or installed on a hdd will check for the cd. What this will do is the user will have to have the cd in his drive even if he copies the CD.

So amateur CD piraters will be disuaded...but the professional ones....God save the Queen!!

If u want i have a prog. that checks for a certain file in the cd and returns a variable...( its hard to know which is the CDROM drive letter for a particular user, so no actionscripting will solve this)...u have to have a regular VB or C, application..

anyway do reply!
    CHow!!

hi,there
    seems that u have a light at the end of my tunnel,plz tell me what should i do.
    hope ur way is not just a train...hek hek hek.

YOU CANNOT DO A CD CHECK!
    You would have to annoy your users by asking them to type in what drive letter their CDROM is. Not everyone has their CDROM on drive D ya know...

WHY bother protecting your CD card? Is it a game or is it a portfolio of some sort? What will be on it worth "stealing" anyways?

Just as I said, you can't do it.

What iziaee is talking about, is custom programming, in a custom programming language, which has nothing to do with Flash.

And if you knew how to do that, you would have already done it.

And even with that, IT CAN STILL BE COPIED!

okay guys
    i dont know how to say this,but,how come no one knows,this mean if i got myself a programmer,and we did it we'll be doing a million dollar investment?!!!
    ur kidding me ppl,sure there might be a way

Beyond the Sea

i believe what they're wondering...

is why you want to protect your CD in the first place? What, exactly, do you want to protect? If you want to protect your web pages you can use some javascript to disable the right-click and the view source commands...but it's futile. Even if your artwork is THAT important to you, it's already on the user's harddrive. Every page you visit is downloaded and placed in your browser's cache. Every image you see, every animation you view, every movie you've downloaded sits in your cache until the space is needed for more junk. So, all anyone has to do is look in the cache folder to find your images, your HTML, and your stylesheets.

You cannot completely protect what you put on the web and you can't completely protect what's on your CD-ROM. Is it that important to you? Is it worth the effort?

Originally posted by tomylovenona
    okay guys
    i dont know how to say this,but,how come no one knows,this mean if i got myself a programmer,and we did it we'll be doing a million dollar investment?!!!
    ur kidding me ppl,sure there might be a way

NO! There is NO way. There is NO way for you to protect an HTML document. There is NO way you can protect a Flash file. If you want to protect an .EXE you need a programmer. Please understand this.

YOU CAN NOT PROTECT YOUR CD.

Talking A solution

no need for AS, or VB or C++. U spend the time, and any idiot with a brain can go strait to the registry and change the location of the cd check to his HD. Strait up, if u want protection, u need to use the power of the web, granted nothing is 100% crack proof, but what i did was load up your exe with a ini file, tell them they need web access, have your FLA access a document on your server (ie geocites) make sure u dont allow your url to be found esily, with a hex editor and such, hide it deep, and load your content into your custom flash interface. Worked for me, but then again, geocities is not crack proof.

Talking One last note...

with all this, they can copy your cd all they want, but as long as u dont allow direct acces to your web site, on your sever (ie give them your url) they cant get your code and can do nothing but enjoy it in your custom flash interface.

Night>>

What a waste of time.

Just make yoru CD card, add in legal disclaimers, and cross your fingers. If anyone actually makes any money off ripping you off, then sue them.

-RB

okay,cool...but what if the guy who ripps me off is making money in another contry,a guy from MARS for example ,where should i sue him then??????????

Ok, he's making money in another country. Are you selling in that country? No? then don't worry about it.

If he breaks into your profits, sue him in his own country.

Maybe some of Adobe's lawyers can help you.

DONE WITH THIS THREAD!

Ok, get this, the method I'm about to talk about won't help for people burning you cd, but it will stop them from taking the flash file off of the cd. What you want to do is put a text file in the same directory as the cd, like a readme or license or something. Then load a var from this file. If the var loads, its more than likely on the cd. Theres an overview of it @ http://www.ci-berpages.com/flash/ its the security for your swf's link

Of course, if they take the flash file and the text file off, it will not protect anything.

So it's more of a trick than protection.

This still doesnt protect web pages that aren't flash, or anything else for that matter.

Lets get technical then. a cd is a read only media. a hard drive is a read/write media. As soon as the file opens make a call from flash like @ http://www.ci-berpages.com/flash/fsdelete.htm to delete the file that the variables will be loaded from. On the cd nothing will happen since you cannot delete from the cd, but once placed on a hard drive it will be deleted. If you thought this far... yes they could setthe file to read only, but you could also make the file not read only by using the fs command too. the file in effect would be deleted before it could be loaded. can ya think of a way around this one?