A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GAMECUBE, XBOX, or PS2?

Originally posted by armadillo88
    and CNO. gotta love that post u made. lol. i really dont hate GC just wanted to start some chaos.
    Don't cop out now!

I know you did, 'dillo. And I just wanted to hit you upside the head with some facts.

hahahahah. hey hey. nintendo has held megaman and final fantasy and zelda frm the begining. why wouldnt i love them. but i gotz to say that mario is gettin lame. i still love my old school systems. i brought em out and started playin FF 1 again. classic. real classic. :P

i love chaos anywho. xbox is just screwed up. i mean the whole way they are cocky and everything whatever yada yada yda. but however. over here there have been very few GC sales. i went to all the stores last night and checkd up like casually and they didnt sell half of what tehy expected to. XBOX however was sold out for a perioud od time and they are low in stock at the momnent. PS2 has so far had the most sells by far. but however thats just in my area. i didnt ask for numbers i just casally talked to these guys in teh store. true xbox doesnt have that maby good games for it but if u people are sayi9ng jsut wait for GC to release good titles then we shjould wait for XBOX to release good titels. and CNO. gotta love that post u made. lol. i really dont hate GC just wanted to start some chaos.
    of coarse the X-Boxes were nearly sold out. They have only shipped 600,000 units. Even if Nintendo Sells half of the units they shipped then their sales are the same as the X-Box. Shoot with only shipping 600,000 and they are still some on the shelves just goes to show you that it isn't doing as great as it is hyped.

... you know u gotta stop quotin me word for word...

j00 r teh pwnz0r3d DarkMagicHacker's Avatar
    Im apparently fighting a losing battle with you people. Everyone I've talked to has said that they think X-Box is better, and so far the installed user base, before christmas ended, was 1,000,000(source: xbox.com dont make fun of me). That clearly is more than the supposed "600,000 shipped" by your Gamepro source. X-Box is potentially the greatest system I have ever seen, and I have been playing games since I was born! Also, the reason X-Box sold out was because of the excellent marketting job done by "Micro$oft." They have a lot of money, and they make it back doubly because they market their product. I have only seen about 3 gamecube commercials since its launch, but I've seen like 12 for the X-Box. Clearly, more people will know about the Box, thus selling more. And how could you not like Halo!

that was one of the most intelligent posts i have read so far now theres someone that doesnt go running around like me starting chaos. and u know waht i agree with you. xbox has potential. but they havent released it yet. well just have to wait a little. and i know that there have been more then the figure (dum dum dum!) of 600,000. there not gonna make something and invest lotta time and $$$ into it and then just ship 600,000. u people gotta use your own brains and not figures and digits from random sources. i bet CNO is gonna give me hell for that one. lol. but anywayz we should give all these systems some time still. they havent shown what they can do yet (although PS2 has given us a little treat of its full potential i think). untill then . jaa ne!

and i know that there have been more then the figure (dum dum dum!) of 600,000.
    That's a lot of doorstops!

And heaven help me, I hope the PS2 hasn't shown us even half it's full potential, otherwise I'll be selling mine soon cheap.

P.S. - Go read a book titled "Game Over : Press Start to Continue" by David Sheff.

P.P.S. - I think I'll go play some Super Smash Bros. now. I've almost unlocked Mewtwo.

Hmm.... I don't know. Look at the sources:

Microsoft, the maker of XBox, says it has shipped and sold 1,000,000 X boxes.

Game Pro- A respected gaming magizine says that they have only shipped 600,000.

Gee I can't decide who to believe here?

Also X-Box had about 200 malfunctioning units which were bought at christmass time in which they still have not replacved or repaired. This is not shocking if you have ever dealt with Microsoft's Customer support, where it is common to be on the phone, on hold, for about an hour and then finaly hanging up becuase nobody you talk to, that is when you actually got to talk to somone, could help you. These units are as CNO said "Large doorstops".

Apparently MS's Mexico's plant made some bad X-Boxes and was having problems with production and could not produce its goal.

But like I said, the real purpose with the X-Box is not to be game system as it's OS is nothing more than a stripped down XP. Its true purpose is going to be this new "Central Hub" that Gates keeps talking about. Basically MS is moving into the hardware bussiness and is doing it this way so that he can ease consumers into it.

Originally posted by johnie

how does it feel to be quoted? lol. ok sure microsoft says it sold a mil which may be wrong. but its not like GamePro isnt biased. ur gonna put all ur trust into one magazine? thats pretty risky. thats like investing a thousand bux into a no name stock and never checking its progress. go do more research and bring back more proof and then i'll bielive it. so far many people seem to like the xbox although its best game out is halo. microsoft is not gonna lose $$$ on xbox. bill gates is so godamn rich he wont worry if xbox failed even though it hasnt and it wont. hes a buisness man and he knows how to get customers. MS wont put faith into something that is gonna die. in the short term, it may not seem like xbox is anything special. but i assure u that they have something big planned for the long run that will make yes, even YOU buy a xbox. thats the end of my little "shpiel". i will sit and wait for you people to jump at me with "worthy" argument. until next time. jaa ne!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by armadillo88

how does it feel to be quoted? lol.
    [/qoute]
    Actually it feels pretty good.

microsoft is not gonna lose $$$ on xbox.

They expect to loose 1 Billion in the first year. That figure is from multiple stories including the tech journals and CNET, ZDNET, USA TODAY, and the Associated Press.

bill gates is so godamn rich he wont worry if xbox failed even though it hasnt and it wont.

Your right and Nader has claimed that he cheats on his taxes. Microsoft has not payed a dividend since its inception. The result is that MS has over 36 BILLION (with a BOY) dollars sitting around not doing anything. This money is known as cash reserves. The higher a companies cash reserve is the more money the stock is worth becuase the company has a larger pool of liquid assets. Taxes on dividends are 29% where as Capital Gains are only 18% under the new tax code. Since roughly 17% of the stock, which is highly unusual for a corperation as large as MS, is owned by its Executives they more than likely have swayed the decision to not pay Dividends. This is of against the law and the GOVT charges a 39% penalty on corperations that do this. FYI Gates owns 12% of MS Stock. Nader has called for the govt to investigate them.

hes a buisness man and he knows how to get customers.

He is more like a con man or Circus Barker looking for marks. I have never argued that Gates does not know how Market products. In fact that is what he does best.

MS wont put faith into something that is gonna die. in the short term, it may not seem like xbox is anything special. but i assure u that they have something big planned for the long run that will make yes, even YOU buy a xbox. thats the end of my little "shpiel".

Yes I agree with you here. He has something planned for X-Box. What I don't agree with you is that it will be a game machine. The XBox is built from computer componets and runs a variant of XP. I think gates sees XBOx as the hub of his new digital Homeplace instead of the PC. He has already admited that he has bigger plans for it than a game machine. I am willing to bet that his plans include a gateway to "MY .NET" services including only .NET apps that replace Office and common computerr functions. Give it to mid 2002 and Freestyle will run on XBox. I believe he is going into the Hardware bussiness so they can try to ensure that everyone uses .NET for everything. IF Microsoft is the leading OEM it also eliminates any threat of an OEM using Linux. The Game console will loose money but it will be made up by a $100 per month charge or so from MSN Internet services and .NET services.

i will sit and wait for you people to jump at me with "worthy" argument. until next time. jaa ne!
    I wasn't jumping on you, but you have to admit it is real hard to trust a company on good faith that has;

1. Been caught rigging Online polls. The last one was the ZD Net UK .NET services poll where they logged many double vote results and votes from auto posting programs from the microsoft domain. One loyal MS employee tried to vote over 200 times.

2. Was caught mailing a "Grass Roots" movement letter to senators, authored by people who are dead, requesting that the Senate Judicary commitee go light on the DOJ/MS settlement deal.

3. Was caught perjuring themsleves in court on many different ocasions. Most recent was in the 1998/DOJ+19 States and the DC Legal Council AntiTrust case. he most notable examples of perjury were related to whether or not MSIE could be concievably removed from Windows when a program that does just this was developed, by a student programer mind you, called 98 lite and also IEradicate. Both are available from http://www.98lite.net and are free for personal use.

4. Has been found guilty on 8 counts of US Anti trust law. They are also being investegated by the EU and there are 17 cases of various Anti Trust suits in Korea's courts. Most notably is the Daum case in which Daum, Korea's largest IM software maker which has a 20% market share on Korean IM products is suing MS for product dumping. They were also found guilty of 1 count of anti trust violation in state courts under state law in Bristol VS Microsoft and they settled the Caldera asnd SUN cases with heft cash settlemnts. Furthermore they settled the Perma Temp case, in which hundreds of MS employees were found to be incorrectly classified as Temporary, these employees had supervisor duties and offices, for an undisclosed amount of money, the Damges to the employees were estimated at 1 BILLION dollars. They also have a planned settlement group settlemnt of over 100 private class action lawsuits, from consumers, in which the Consumers are claiming they were ilegally overcharged for MS products. The purposed settlement, in which MS is planning on Donating 1 Billion in USD to schools, is being considered by the judge who may not allow the settlement. Also the DOJ Settlement, which has come under a lot of fire, also may not be aproved by the judge. Furthermore 9 States and the legal council for DC have not settled the 1998 case and are still in court tryuing to decide what punishment MS should get for being found guilty. Microsoft is also still in court over Discrimination charges.

5. Violated a previous DOJ settlement known as the DOJ consent decree back in 1995. This is why the DOJ joined the then 20 states in the Landmark 1998 Anti trust case.

and there's more including the recent allagations by Ralph Nader that MS is a huge tax break for its stockholders (which a large percent are Gates and Ballmer).

Lets face it MS is not credible at all. In fact the whino on the street who says he won't take the money you give them to buy Booze is more credible than they are.

[Edited by johnie on 01-10-2002 at 06:36 PM]

Gamecube - Don't buy, it's going downhill. When I say downhill I mean screwed. Out of all the new consoles this one has sold the least. Buy it if you have money lying around everywhere and you already have an Xbox and PS2.

PS2 - If you like all that gay anime crap get this and if you can't help yourself but play GTA3 and MGS2 right away! Seems like Sony has given up on it when they started releasing all those horrible games. The only good ones are GTA3 and MGS2. They are some of the most amazing games I've ever seen.

Xbox - If you wanna play all the killer games on ever system as well as super sweet original games, get the Xbox. Every good game for all the systems is comming out for it as well, including GTA3 and MGS2. Has some of the most amazing, non ports comming out in March alone. Definetly a good buy. Oh yeah, and it has Halo; most kick ass game ever. If your an action fan Xbox is getting a ton of first person shooters on it.

Sales Figures For The U.S. -
    Gamecube 1.2 Million Sold, get an SNES
    PS2 5 Million Sold, sad its starting to slow down ):
    Xbox 1.5 Million Sold, most stores are sold out ):

This thread is starting to go downhill. Make your "closing comments" if you wish - I'll be putting it to rest soon, and if anyone is interested, some video game sites with forums which cater to these discussions.

first to swishkabob. u said "gay anime crap". ... y does he sare to speak those words on an art & ANIME board?? ok whatever... if i was moderater...

ok johnnie... what uve been waiting for all along.....

i give up

*throws hands up*

dude talk about obsessed. lol. u really must hate microsoft taht much. is bill gates your sworn enemy or something? lol no im PLAYIN. geeze lighten up a little. i didnt need all those usless facts screwing my already cluttered brains. my midterms and finals are doing a good job of taht already @_@. and plus i know all of that already . well most *cough* yeah right *cough* ahem. well. i have no more facts to present to you to umm continue this argument? so lets all hold hands and prance into the flower feild and dance with smurfs. yay! O.o. dont midn me. its all the studying...

well im jsut gonna sit back here and look on as you people try to bring on your own personal views and take on johnnie here. looks like your up next swishkabob. time to get disproved by the john-miester. hehehe.

i spoke my views and well we'll see what happens a year from now. well see whats new and wahts not. what sux and wahts hot. until next time... jaa ne!!

Nope, No disaproval from me although I find it highly suspect that MS claims to have sold more units than have shipped. I personally am not inclined to believe them as there are still Xboxes at my local store and if they really had sold more than shipped this would not be the case.

For those 200+ people with locked XBoxes I feel your pain.

-PS. I lost faith in MS about the same time ME came out and when I found out that MS wrote two seperate and sometimes incompatible API's for Western Windows and Far East Windows. I found this out incedently after I had purchased software from a japanese software company and it refused to work on my western version of Windows and was told that I would have to buy the Japanese version of Windows, in other words they wanted me to buy two copies of Windows, to run it. All their legal problems due to ilegal/imoral acts just are the icing on the cake... If I can avoid dealing with them I do, so I more than likely will not be buying an XBox ever.

Moral: Treat everthing out of Redmond critically and with a whopping grain of salt as they have a history of being less than truthfull and deceptive.

CNO

Your right, this thread has gone from console question, an info question, to Bill Gates and Micrshaft, to gays, to hell! LOL!! Put her to sleep PLEEAAASE you know and I know that GameCube and GBA owns all the other systems combined.

Moral: Treat everthing out of Redmond critically and with a whopping grain of salt as they have a history of being less than truthfull and deceptive.
    NOTE: Nintendo of America is also headquartered in Redmond Washington.

And since we seem to have reached a concensus (or the same several bull-headed people arguing ), I'm closing the thread. I'll open it again if you can give me a real convincing reason to via e-mail.