A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LoadVariables Bug??

Im getting feed back from my users that when they try to login it hangs.

all im doing is a simple task they type userid and pass click next

loadvariables from a CGI script which checks the userid and pass sends back a responce of either wrong or ok

while flash is waiting for this responce i do this.

if (responce eq "ok"){
    gotoandplay("ok")
    }
    elseif(responce eq "wrong"){
    gotoandplay("wrong")
    }
    else{
    prevframe
    }

#################
    the previous frame is just a play() to check the status again.

so why is it hanging? is there any know problems with this method like using it in different browsers or platforms??

or if anyone has a better method i will be happy to listen.

Danny

Arckid - Curving the Web
    hi there,

1st frame ...

ask user for usrname and pass ...

on 2nd frame varify it and on 3rd frame load variables from the file ...

and then u can start ur more scripting from 4 th line ..

ur movie got hangs becoz of perhaps infinite loop ... i think its loading variables again and again ... so calling ur script again and again ...

check it by putting some counter in the script ....

hope u got the idea ... and i think its not bug ...

Arckid - Curving the Web
    one thing more to notice ...

i think ur banner is not workin ...

m i right ????

sorry maybe i didnt explain enough

frame 1 get details
    frame 2 load variables by POST
    frame 3 play()
    frame 4 check for a value of responce if non goto the previous frame

It works ok as the site is used by many i get a few who say they cant login and it just hangs. wondered if there was any know browser compatability problems or platform probs with loadvar function.

As for my sig yes it dont work and i cant be bothered to sort it out thanks anyway lol

Danny

Arckid - Curving the Web
    hi there ...

1st advice use GET instead of POST ...

if u sending MC control to frame 3 by prevframe then it will become loop that ur movie will be playing just 3 to 4 and 4 to 3 back and that's why the infinite loop taking places and so ur movie goes hang ....

m i right ???

If i used GET it would just show the scrips responce in the browser and the flash movie would be gone. It has to be POST to be able to send all the information while flash is still playing wait for the scrips responce and then depending on what the variable value is goto either the ok scene or the error scene if there is no respone then go to the previous frame which will go back to the frame to check if the responce is now there. it is a loop but not an infanate loop it is mearly waiting for the script to send back the data.

Danny

Arckid - Curving the Web
    hi there ...

i think u r using getURL to passing the variables to the scripts m i right ???

nope it really is loadvariables.

The code does work for most but apears not all. i have never experianced the problem myself but other people have.

http://www.sharpmail.co.uk is where its used username nannyboy and password hiawatha the account is disabled but it will show it works

danny

Arckid - Curving the Web
    mmm ... OK

can i hav ur files to see that what is actually going on ???

just Zip-N-Mail me to aashu3k@hotmail.com

god bless u ...

Could this just be a problem with people not having the correct Flash plugin?

if you visit the site http://sharpmail.co.uk you will see a flash detection so nope.

thanks anyway

Danny

aashu.com, how would you do the task i have mentioned the variable that is send back "responce" has one of two values depending on the information sent (username and pwd) they are "wrong" or "ok"

Danny

Hi Danny,

maybe the problem is your flash detector - it keeps telling me I need to upgrade - but I've got F5, and F6 is not yet available

Musicman

yes the version thing. forgot about that. well im designing it all again so why not a new detector. Sugestions for upgrade no flash and sucess detection?

Danny

Hi,

you might have read Ilya's comments on the subject - there just is no reliable detector.
    Either you put a non-flash page up there and run a movie from it, so it will have to look like 'if this message does not go away within a few seconds, you have no player' (safe way) or you will set up a page that gets refreshed like you do at the moment. If there is bad connection, it may just happen that the request for movie gets delayed while the refresh to html succeeds. If there is just slow computer, it may be still loading the plugin when the refresh happens
    You cn at least avoid detection for netscape by using the plugins array

Musicman

what about both javascript AND the method i use now (corrected of course) then which ever gets there first (java i would bet) wins.

Danny

Hi Danny,

would you mind adding an
    i = 0;
    to the beginning of the detection script and let me try that? We all assume that uninitialized variables start at zero, but is this written anywhere...

Musicman

Hi sharpmail.co.uk...is that your exact code above? If so,you need the parentheses on "prevFrame" like so...

prevFrame ();

That may not be the only problem, but...I don't think "prevFrame" will work without it...

Hope this helps...

-pigghost-

no not exact code i was writing it from memory to give you all an idea of what im doing and why some people experience difficulties?. its strange as it dont affect everyone. i have never experienced it myself however a few have complained that it hangs during loging in. (strange thing is the same code is used for the registration yet that seems to work for them as they wouldnt have a userid or pass to authorize!)

ill just have to let this one go seems no known problems with using it. must be a host problem.

Danny

Hello sharpmail,

I was wondering if you solved that loadvariables problem.

Its "good" to know that some people reported that had problems with loadvariables, because until now i though my computer was the only one that had such a problem.
    Its really pissing me off and i want to know what i should change in my computer to solve it. (I have already reinstalled flash plug-in and I am about to upgrade from IE 5.5 to 6 hoping it will solve the problem)
    Thanks.