A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2Advanced Pricing: WOW!!

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Spoke with a guy at http://www.2advanced.com just for curiousity. I guess they get NO LESS than 20,000 for a website. What do you guys think about that? Too much? Not enough?? About right??

These guys do killer work, I will venture and say its worth every penny.

Ambassador of Style
    Honestly, that's a friggin steal! You wouldn't beleive what agencies were charging only 2 years ago. I'm sure though, the 20K mark is for a very basic site - or for clients of a smaller stature (like 01).

-A02

That is a major rip off. 2a is not that good. The only thing they got on everyone else is their ability to create stunning graphics/backgrounds.

Ambassador of Style
    No way! Do the math.

2 People working only 40 hours a week for 3 months (average build time for a good site) comes out to only $21 an hour.

1 guy or gal working for only 1 month to bang it out for 50 hours a week would get $100 an hour.

All of that doesn't include the expense of powering the machines and the AC, feeding employees, etc. It adds up! 20K is extremely fair for EJ's kind of work.

-A02

The Minister of No Crap

That is a good deal. 2Adavanced is one of the top of the top in this industry. When you want the best, you should expect to pay for the best. When you get Mel Gibson for the job, sure you're going to pay a helluva lot more than if you got an "up and coming", but Mel Gibson will do the job right like only Mel can(You may or may not like Mel. I just used him as an example.).

-scott
    http://www.scottmanning.com

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Ha haha - Mel Gibson..

But seriously, yeah - 2A's work is killer. The intros alone on alot of his sites are worth some big chunk of change, but I know alot of people in this forum hate intros.

I think they blow too, but most of the users of major websites like to see some glitz and glammer and EJ serves it to them piping hot.

There is no doubt his style and work is damn good. I actually like that he charges alot. This way, when I tell a client what I charge.. I could say 'Hey - you could always go to http://www.2advanced.com and pay more. Now you can get a decent web page, and put a down on that car you wanted.'

Who knows.. maybe then they can drive to my studio and pay me instead of me chasing them down.

Kidding.. kidding..

[Edited by Eyenovation on 08-10-2001 at 09:11 PM]

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by Eyenovation
    Ha haha - Mel Gibson..
    Whatever, man. You know he's worth the money.

-scott

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I think 2Advanced is more relative to the likes of Tom Cruise or.. is it Tom Hanks..

To hell with the 1's and 0's - lets learn to act!!

He's established himself as a top designer now. He's proved that he can deliver top quality stuff again and again. I'm sure he didn't charge this much in his early days, but its very believable for him to be charging this much now.

You think 2advanced charges alot? you should check out Dennis Interactive. on the get quote part of their site, they have choose your price range:
    - less than $50,000
    - $50,000 to $100,000
    - $100,000 to $250,000
    - $250,000 to $500,000
    - more than $500,000

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

C H A - C H I N G

$500,000 Are you kidding??
    Is that for some MEGA backend or something?

That must be some KILLER stuff. Do you have a link to that page?

You raise a good point. I wonder what EJ's stuff looks like pre 2advanced days?

Anyone know some OLD links??

The Minister of No Crap

Originally posted by DjBobo
    You think 2advanced charges alot? you should check out Dennis Interactive.
    What's their website?

-scott

Ambassador of Style
    Bobo: EXACTLY!

About two and a half years ago I was responsible for interviewing various design companies to redesign my then-employers website. About 600 pages - looking to be run using ASP and have minor e-commerce abilities.

Average prices were around $250,000. Some places also wanted a $50K monthly retainer on top of that! Granted these were some of the top agencies of that time (Sapient, TS Design... which became a part of Razorfish, etc...) but it was still a crap load of money!

-A02

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I want to see what a $500,000 site looks like.
    My guess is this money is is for the labor in backend programming, and not so much the graphics.

I think EJ's money comes more for the graphics..
    Yeah / No?

Who is behind 2advanced? That isn't Mike Young is it?

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Old 2A

I wonder what he made on this:

http://www.binus.com

I hear this is OLD stuff from him.

Ahh, I remember now. I remember looking at his work about a year and a half ago, it wasn't nearly as good then. To tell you the truth, I don't really care for the style he uses, it's nothing terribly new or interesting to me. he definitely does have good taste though and an obvious attention to detail.

As for the money involved in what he does, who cares? It seems as though anyone here is willing to sell out at the earliest possible moment. I'd rather do really, really good work and keep it more underground than do corporate bs for people who don't even take the time to appreciate the work.

Check out the painter Cy Twombly. If recognition and money is what you are after, then not seeking it is actually one of the ways you will gain it. But then again, if it's all you're after, then you wouldn't really undertand what I'm getting at.

god that interview of his on flashplanet is sickening. When people compare webdesign to painting or drawing they should really just not bother.

Design purely for the purpose of creating something wonderful. Money is good when you need to pay the bills, but I think true webdesigners do it because it's what they love...no matter what they make on it.

I worked for 2 years at a web firm that pays underpaid me a LOT, but you know what? I loved every second of it, and i'd do it again.

Who cares how much 2advanced charges...

my opinion

Dennis Interactive:

http://www.dennisinteractive.com/

I don't think they do these sites which are 600+ pages with heavy database stuff. The sites I've seen from dennis interactive are about medium in size and probably have some degree of backend databasing stuff involved.