A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2Advanced Pricing: WOW!!

Large Member
    OMG, the company i work for pays 6 figures for web sites with not much more functionallity than the 2A sites. i feel more humbled, since i'm the designer.

derrickito
    Originally posted by Eyenovation
    I want to see what a $500,000 site looks like.
    http://www.virgin.com
    when this site was brand new it cost them over a million. i know one of the head creatives directors that worked on the original site (since replaced by this one)

LOTS of sites out there that cost over a million dollars, you'd be surprised which.
    costs get up there easily when you have a team of workers working on a large project full time. information design, development, design, layout, testing, testing, redesigning, redeveloping, relayout, testing testing, changes, finals, content, databases, changes, testing.

it gets to be an expensive process, these arent your mom and pop websites.

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    No way! Do the math.

2 People working only 40 hours a week for 3 months (average build time for a good site) comes out to only $21 an hour.

1 guy or gal working for only 1 month to bang it out for 50 hours a week would get $100 an hour.

All of that doesn't include the expense of powering the machines and the AC, feeding employees, etc. It adds up! 20K is extremely fair for EJ's kind of work.

-A02
    Not that I necessarily doubt you but how did you come up with these figures?

whether you like 2advanced style or not 20k is not that much for a professionally produced site.

I've been involved in projects with budgets over 250k and most of the money goes on the backend, you'll notice that the new 2advanced site is backend driven.

i wouldn't expect them to be charging less.

Ambassador of Style
    Gotha:

First example:

$20,000 / 12 weeks = $1,666.67 per week
    $1,666.67 / 40 hours = $41.67 an hour
    $41.67 / 2 people = $20.83 an hour per worker

Second axample:

$20,000 / 4 weeks = $5000 per week
    $5000 / 50 hours = $100 an hour for a worker

-A02

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    To answer the original question.

I reackon something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

GOOD POINT

Yeah - thats very true. I bet some people would expect to pay more for 2A stuff - and some would expect to pay less. It probably depends on the company interested in the page to begin with.

screw 2 advanced

20K is waaaaaaaaay too much for anyone to be paying for a website unless it has alot of maintenance and backend work required. 2advanced is none of that. its a typical joe-shmo design site with a big head. i find 2 advanced very ordinary and nothing spectacular about it. there new site is horrendous. i keep getting this abort flash script because it takes so damn long to load and im running on dsl. i feel bad for those 56kers. 2advanced should be dubbed 2overrated. for real. get your johnsons out of their site. they bleed blood and breathe air just as we do. anyone can do what they are doing.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Screw 2 advanced?

Well, as everyone is entitled to their opinion - I find your remarks out of line. Perhaps you dislike 2A's style, site, or design concepts - but that does not mean everyone else does.. nor does that entitle you to slam them.

The facts are that in a motion graphic based web arena, 2A is by far the most commonly immitated site out there. I can cite dozens of rip off sites (sorry.. inspired versions of it), so designers obviously think enough of 2A's stuff to mimick it.

I invite you to look at their portfolio. All of their sites are outstanding because they can entertain the biggest of audiences. They are technical enough to capture the young crowd, while simple enough to be read by older audiences. The graphics are done well, and there is plenty of attention to detail.

Perhaps in your opinion 20K is too much for a site. Obviously some others DONT share your sentiment, including some of their high priced clients.

Complain as you may, but if you are any kind of web developer trying to earn a check, you should be happy. It is good news for the industry that something you love could pay so well.

Put it this way - you may not like the Lakers basketball team. BUT - they are No. 1. Perhaps you think they play crappy ball - but because they are reputed to be the best you should (in my opinion) try to learn why THE REST of the world thinks they are the best too..

Just my opinion, anyhow..

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    quote from jayfril.com

"I have nothing wrong with giving a fellow web designer props on his / her / their website or even the fact of linking someone up cause I'm cool with them, and their skills as a designer. But the sh*t I see day to day is none of that. It's become "the thing" to do as of late. It's all the same sites linked under some fools domain name. First their is the circle jerk (as I refer to them as). These are typically, the big name sites logo's slapped on the bottom of the page by everyone in the circle jerk group. "

BUT - His first 'LINK' on his site
    http://www.jayfril.com

is: http://www.webagent007.com

- which.. sadly.. has the links he so despises..
    Dont get me wrong - the site is AWESOME.. but..

Oh.. and those who use full screen best not show it to Jay..

quote from jayfril.com

Dude, I hate when designers use full screen mode. That s**t is so obnoxious. Its like, look at my site (ONLY MY SITE). F** dem busta a** mofo's. I don't wanna look at their booty sites in full screen. Half of them are booty anyways. If you are gonna make a full screen site, you best be making some mind blowin s***, or I just don't wanna see it. Word.

Of course.. you click on the FIRST LINK on his 'props' list.. yep you guessed it. All of my pixels..

WOW - good to know there are great alternatives to 2A out there.

i read in the paper the other day that the uk goverment spent 10 million(yes) on developing the inland revenue site so people can file their tax returns online, it costs 3 million a year just to run it...and they are upset coz nobody is using it...and heres me worrying about puting quotes if for 15k that would pay me £20/hour

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    I have said it once but I will say it again....

A web site is worth what the owner will pay for it.

That is it.

$100K a month...its not a typo

I had a connection 1 year ago that worked for the Ad Agency that does Nike, Pepsi, etc. They have a sister company that does the digital/web work for their AD clients. He told me that NIKE pays $100K a month for their websites. Keep in mind they have Nike.com, nikegolf.com, etc. but DAMN.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Re: $100K a month...its not a typo

Originally posted by MajorTom
    Keep in mind they have Nike.com, nikegolf.com, etc. but DAMN.

Yeah - those guys have major web presences though..
    100K seems very reasonable..

Well, then again - with what they spend on labor elsewhere..

Jayfril,

After looking at your site, and your resume, could you possibly tell me how you've been using "Windows 2000 NT" for 6 years? Seems a bit off to me, as 6 years ago it was 1995, and Windows 2000 was officially released on February 17, 2000. http://windowsnt.miningco.com/librar...istory2000.htm

Just like to have the facts straight.

mg33

Originally posted by mg33
    Jayfril,

After looking at your site, and your resume, could you possibly tell me how you've been using "Windows 2000 NT" for 6 years? Seems a bit off to me, as 6 years ago it was 1995, and Windows 2000 was officially released on February 17, 2000. http://windowsnt.miningco.com/librar...istory2000.htm

Just like to have the facts straight.

mg33
    Different Time Zone?

20k is the kinda money i hope i can make someday. I don't think it's too much, and I praise EJ for being able to price that high.

The issue isnt if a site is worth $20K or not...its the market your working with. If you went to NIKE and told them you could do them a site for $5K they would laugh you right out the front door. Huge corporations expect to pay premium rates for premium, fresh media.

Why does Tom Hanks get $1MIL a picture? Is it worth it? Doesnt matter...thats what the market will bear for his services. 2Advanced did their time, built up a reputation and deserve to get what they get. Your not paying for a website for $20K...your paying for 2Advanced to do you a website for $20K. There is a big difference.

The problem isnt with the people that charge $20K for sites...its with the ones that do sites for $100 or even free. Deluting the market.

And thats all I have to say about that.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by MajorTom

Why does Tom Hanks get $1MIL a picture? Is it worth it?
    Actually, he gets more like 11 million..

But you raise a good point. You are paying not 20K - but 2A 20K....

They earn their money.

Ambassador of Style
    Tom is a member of the "20-million club". Darn actors! Hehehehehe!

-A02

sorry typo...$1 MIL - $1 GAZILLION