A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a megaman like game, need suggestions

Hey, I'm making a megaman like game and I need some ideas. I've got a couple, but I'm not sure what exactly I want to do.....

http://www21.brinkster.com/xmcnugget...actionman.html

Not looking for bugs.... I know there are plenty. Looking for ideas on where to go from here, how the game should play.

I've got 2 ideas for weapons:
    1) The weapons work like megaman, you get a weapon from each boss and then get and item which restores weapon energy.
    2) This would work more like contra. Kill an enemy and randomly a weapon could appear, you could then use this weapon till the energy ran out or you got a new one... which ever comes first.

I've got 2 level ideas:
    1) This would work like megaman, you pick your level to goto then play till you beet it or lose all your guys.
    2) This would work more like mario, just kinda go through in order.

Everyone, please let me know which you like better of these 2 ways of playing, and any other ideas.

Thanks up front for all the help!

just a few things that every platform game should have:

bonus items
    moving platforms
    warp places
    huge jump pads
    vehicles (Metal Slug 2)

and as for ideas, you ever played "bugsby" some dumb game on the snes? it was a kool fast platform game, and i reckon it would be kool to see something like it done in flash

I was thinking about what I originally posted and I take it back, I didn't realize you were asking for suggestions on how to make the game more original, my bad. Keep up the good work I really like what you have done, again so for the original message...

P.S. I am very interested in how you made the monsters move? If you can, could you explain a little on this board or e-mail me at virtuoso18@aol.com?

-Jesse Freeman
    http://www.iliketodream.com
    [Edited by virtuoso18 on 08-12-2001 at 03:25 PM]

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    It would be neat if you had the ability to shoot upwards and downwards...

As for enemy abilities gained like Megaman, I would love it if you could gain abilities beyond just shooting abilities.

Example: Have a kangaroo boss, who, after you defeat, you gain a REALLY high jump. This would also allow you to create "SECRET" areas as well.

It would be cool to combined the chaos of Metal Slug with the Megaman boss ability gain aspect...

Just a thought...

-pXw

Please I've got one more thing to ask. If anyone would like to help come up with a good story line. This would be much appreciated. Eigther reply on this thread or email at xmcnugget@home.com

I think im going to make the level select much like megaman, except that you will be able to collect money or some form of currency from enemies, wich will allow actionman to purchase some weapons or powerups.
    -----------------------
    For the enemy movement. Its very simple for right now.
    This is the url for the movie:
    http://www21.brinkster.com/xmcnugget.../actionman.swf

Load the movie in your browser. Then stretch the movie wider than it is tall. This will show you parts of the movie that actually aren't meant to be seen. Off to the right hand side you will see a circle. This is basically a place holder that when gets so close to the screens edge it duplicates an enemy mc that's _visible is set to false to that spot. The enemy's right now have really no ai. They simply move. The green slime creature simply moves 1 direction until it reaches the edge of the screen. When it does it is removed. The spinner guy simply knows to move so far right then switch directions, move so far left, switch direction... ect. If you would be interested in an fla, let me know and I'll try to whip one up for you =)

Hi there

I like the game, simple and fun.

Now I have a question for you: how do you get the action man to walk and jump simultaneously. That looks to me like flash is handling two simultaneously keypresses and I haven't been able to find out how to do that. Am I right?

The ability to do that would come in handy for a little flash game I'm working on at present. What i'm looking to do is get diagonal movement from pressing UP and RIGHT simultaneously, without the need of have a separate key

Thanks

A.Stobirski are you using flash 4 or 5?

how do you shoot his weapon? I tried every key on my keyboard & could not find it. Or, does he not shoot, yet?

D'ohhhh. Flash 5.0

Yeah, he doesn't shoot yet, sorry. That's the next thing on my list. =)

thats really cool how it turns the quality down when scrolling to make it faster.

Smile

Hi mc!

Please man! I´m being almost crazy with that!
    Coul you please say me how did you make the character movement programming?? My pricipal trouble is when no key is pressed..the mc back to "stopped" state.

now the suggestions :

well.. try adding more details in backgrounds line steel or iron stripes...hmm lasers....robo enemies...automatic doors

Best regards!!

funFactor

Fantastic Game, can you help me

Hi, I'm working on a platform game too, but i can't get the actionscript done. Could you please give me the code or the FLA file from you game? I know i'm asking you a big favor but could you please help me?

Thank you

Tha DraX

BOUNDS

Hi MCN!

Thanx for you e-mail! Well the job is progressing very well...but..could you please explain me how did you make the bounds? After the main character jumps up a bound..the Y position stops subtraction... that´s right!??
    I´m making 5235246161346 different movie clips to simulate hit tests but I know ther´s an easier way....

thanx in advance for attention
    Fun Factor

Looking good xMCNUGGETx. I would say make the MegaMan and the baddies smaller so you can use bigger level maps..

to FunFactor and Drax:
    may be this could help you in some way:

http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...hreadid=181358

mad_sci

Thanks for the comments Mad-Sci, hey wouldn't be this far if it wasn't for your platform tutorial =) Think I should make things smaller huh? I've never really though of making them smaller, I may need to look into that as like you said to get bigger maps.

Thanx

Thanx Mad-Sci
    my game is working now!
    but i have two questions for MCNUGGET,

1. How does your lifemeter work? i've got one but when my hero gets hitted, he gets hitted multiple times. and i want him to get hitted one time

2. how does your gun work? i've got one but mine fires too much bullets in a row.

Thanx

Tha DraX

The answer is the same in both questions. Lets solve your first problem, then you can figure out the second =)

First come up with a variable that lets flash know if your guy can be hit or not. In my game I believe I used the variable canbehit =) So when you first start the game the hero can be hit so initialize the variable to true.
    Code:
    canbehit=false
    Then what you want to do is create an empty movie that is however many frames you want your delay to be, start at lets say 15 and then adjust it to suit your needs. So right now you have an empty mc that is 15 frames long. In the first frame of it put a stop() command. Then at the last frame put a _root.(wherever_your_canbehit_variable_is).canbehi t=true then put an instance in your hero or mainguy movie clip. call it lets say abletobehitpause

Ok, almost done =)
    Now where you would normally just take energy away from your guy cause he's hit put something like this instead:
    [code]
    if (abletobehit=true) {
    _root.hero.energy-=1;
    _root.hero.abletobehit=false;
    tellTarget("_root.hero.abletobehitpause") {
    play();
    }
    }

hope this helps...... if you need an example let me know.

Lightbulb game working now!

Hi MAcNuggetX and Mad-SCI!

Hey! Thanx you both for the tips!! Now is easier for me kepp developing the game!
    Well..abou the lifemeter i sjust a matter of association..if your hero "hit test" other movie clip..you should point your lifemeter movie clip to other frame till be empty!

FuN FaCToR

Talking Thanx, i have another question:

How did you make your Platform thicker? cause mine are 8 pixels thick and yours are about 25. If i resize, my hero falls trough the platforms. Please help me again.