A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Webdesigners

Originally posted by AGENT 02
    The two buzz things to learn now seem to be ColdFusion (dynamic-driven Flash) and LiveMotion. If you want ot really get yourself ahead of the curve and make some killer cash in the future - consider JSP...

Cheers!

-A02 [/B]

Agent 02,

Wondering if you have any suggestions on learning JSP - did you take the time to learn it as of yet ?

Originally posted by koen.mertens
    Did any of you guys thought about just being a graphics webdesigner.
    This means you have basic knowledge of HTML (and you know dreamweaver), you can work with Flash, Photoshop (good!) and for example Coreldraw or Illustrator.
    You make graphics for Companies who need them but don't need them thát frequently to hire someone intern (in other words, GO FREELANCE)
    I'm from Belgium. I learned Quark Xpress just to get a main job in a printing company. And in my spare time, I designed webgraphics for larger companies. I have my own little 'one-man' company called Kay Design and I hope to expand so that one day that will be my only occupation.

I have to add that my next learning project is PHP but that you can survive perfectly as a designer...

-Mettes
    The whole point in what u say is that "you can survive". I could sutrvuive even by not wokring , here in Canada, but im not looking to survive, im looking to have a good if not very good income...

id have to disaggree with cold fusion being the furure, simply because cold fusion is not open source which means it can only be developed by one team - macromedia. also cold fusion needs a colfusion server, how many servers have cold fusion installed, i hear it doesnt come cheap.
    as for jsp, i dunno anything about it.
    koen.mertens alot of us want to just be designers, but cant now because the industry is drying up, so in order to land a job we have to further our skills, id learn backend stuff anyway, i want to be able to create any website from start to finish, without relying on anyone else
    later

my 100th post :)) Senior i am!

I agree with richp..

Richp:
    What do you mean by "backend stuff" ?

front end is everything u see on the page, backend is all the source code that makes it up.
    for example this forum has backend and frontend, the frontend is what u see, the backend is all the code (html,java,php etc) that makes it up. the backend is the code that processes the information u type in the form (username, password and reply) when u submit a thread.
    without backend code the page would be static.
    does that make sense?

Yup!
    thx

Large Member
    Originally posted by richp
    would it be to much to ask if i could see anything from ur portfolio? just curious to see where the industry standard is at. cheers.
    i haven't done a portfolio in years, but i'm putting together my company's site. i have about 2 more weeks left of work, and i'll post it... it's nothing special. it's a mixture of HTML and flash and i made sure to stick to basic navigation principles

cool ill be interested to see it when its done

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    Originally posted by aversion
    in general things are not as good as they were, never will be.

Give it time. The internet is still in its infancy. Learn motion graphics! The future of interenet will be closer to TV. Who is going to want to read when it can be spoken, etc. like TV.

When I say survive, I don't mean sleeping under a bridge and scrambling for food everyday. I mean you can make a living out of being a designer. A good living...
    I think, in the future, a lot of the work will be split up.

For example. A company (one man or not) specializes in webdesign. He gives all of his aspects of de site to other people. Layout and design, database, ... While gathering all the material for the site, the company compiles them together and creates the entire site. I know a couple of companies who work like this (at least in my dear ol' Belgium) and I think a lot will start working like this in the future. In other words, outsourcing will be the future. The company can choose different partners for different assignments and they can choose the best. Which gives the designers and programmers a stimulance for sharpening there skills even more.

I also think that you can't know it all. I try to be good at one thing (in my case the graphical part) and of course have the basics (or a little more) from the other aspects. Only that way you can become better than all the rest. When you know a little bit of all these aspects, you actually don't know anything.
    I know there are people out there who can design very well and know a lot of programming languages, also very well but I think they are rare and I think the only way not to disappear into the mass of webdesigners is to specialize...

Just my opinion though

-Mettes

Ambassador of Style
    Sryder: I haven't taken the time to learn it as of yet for it's still in it's infancy - and I've been concentrating on other programs lately. I know of 2 companies off-hand that are using ASP and are getting ready to begin the switch to JSP in the not-so-far future.

All: In all honesty, I think that the market is pretty saturated with webdesigners. If I were in school and still had a passion to be in the industry, I'd start focusing hard-core on a few programs - maybe even one that's quite new. Back when I started college, I was a Marine Biology major. I wanted to do research, etc. I eventually faced the fact that the market was oversaturated - that many graduated weren't getting jobs, etc. I looked for something new and different (it wasn't web design - that I picked up as a hobby). I urge young'uns to look past what is out there for current jobs - and look to what the future might have in store. When I was in school only 4 years ago - webdesign was pretty much an unknown!

-A02

Please.. dunt skare me!

I agre with you and i hope that in 4 years the market will need even more webdesigner, because as some1 said b4, the web will be more and more tv-like... and the web we know todays is still in itz infancy...
    Another quote from a cartoonist.. he said that knowing something differnet or that isnt used anymore has neer hurt him, instead he said that those roads do cross sometimes...(if it doesnt make sens ill repeat.. itz 11am... im dead tired...)

Ok l8er guys

Ambassador of Style
    Stick with your dreams! All I'm saying is that the dotcom boom is OVER and nothing will happen in our industry like that again. There are still a lot of people out there with visions of becoming extremely wealthy in their 20's by doing web design. It still happens, but nowadays it happens to much less.

Part of the problem is that the title, web designer, in itself is tossed around too easily. More than half the sites on the web were slapped together with no thought process or even core design value put into place. Yet, the guy/gal who just made that bright pink site with yellow text calls themselves a webdesigner. I worked at McDonalds when I was younger. I never called myself a chef.

There will be positions for webdesigners in the future, but the web will be so different in 5 years time. That's why I urge people still in school to not just focus on the current state of the internet, but take some gambles and think about what will be needed 3 years down the road. Why? All of us making a living already are thinking about it. If you learn it quicker - you have an advantage to break ahead of the current pack of designers and developers.

Just my 02 cents!

-A02

hey agent how old r u, just out of curiousity?
    and agent ur right about alot of things, there will always be jobs out there if ur good enough, its no different from any other career u pick, u just gotta put the effort in.

Hard vs soft

Sorry if im butting in on your little conversation, but I have to ask. What do you thing is more important to learn?

hardware or software

Hardware: this is good to learn so you understand how the acctual thing works. Develeping hardware wont die out because of technology and new inventions.

Software: this is good to learn because you can do more with it as in acctualy making programs to do the things u want. But in the future, mosst of theses laguges will become obsolite with more people entering the field inventing new laguages and programs.

i know you were talking about web desighn and the sort but i just had to ask! `.'

umm hardware vs software, im doing a degree in electrical engineering and we do hardware and software, but thats electrical engineering, as for computers, what hardware stuff is there to do? fix someones computer, monitor etc?
    i think software and hardware on computers are 2 completely different areas, if u like practical aspects, learn how to fix a computer, if u like software(programming) then learn some languages, c++ builder if u want to build actually programs, php/perl/jsp if u want to do web applications etc.
    i dunno if what i said was what u were asking?
    good luck

FK Teletubbie Crew !
    yeah im only 17 so i still have aways to go but i agree u have to be well rounded to get a job in web design. Right now im takeing a CISCO Class which is networking class im tryen to get certiffied with that and a comp graphics class which should improve my photoshop skills. Im already good at html, flash, javascript, photoshop, and i have limited skills in cgi, php, and asp. Im also very knowledgable about PC and there hardware/problems and windows platforms.

and still i dont think that can get me a job so im gonna keep worken on it.

gezz u sound like u know alot!

hehe ok

hehe ok im eeek! shhh 14 and im pretty godd at computers for a 4teen year old. im not a geek well mabe i might be, probaly i am but its not the point. anyways im going to learn CISCO in about 9 days when scool starts. im pretty good with html, know alot of genral things about computers and how to fix em. i know basic programing VB C++ ect.. but not a pro. in know flash good (of course) and im curently making a whole site in flash in an html page... wth? im also good with PSP and other graphics. anyways you probablw dont wana know about me but what i wana know is what should i focuse on for my future (what area in computers) what would be more benificial for my career. also for the guy whos in cisco, how hard is it and whats it like? i know this isnt my guidence counsler, but u were on the subject ^.^ anywayz please give me your opinion... thnx

again it depends what u enjoy, if u want to be fix computers, learn about hardware, if u wanna do web design and its applications, learn all the kind of stuff u were talking about above, as well as backend stuff, (php,perl,xml etc). the more u know the better.