A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanna be in a book? Everyone who post will be!

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith
    I'm sure Guru and Myself would contribute to the book. Let us know what we can do. I can't obligat him but I think he will want to. let us know. Regards, Bill

I will want to see who is contributing to the book before I sign any deals Just need to know that the people participating are going to write the right information down. Dont want to get my name associated with a book with bad information in it.

Complete Flash webmaster book!

Yea it's definately got to be action scripting. But also I'd like to see a real description of complete web site design and workflow.

I think a description of how to set up and deploy a Flash site start to finish is lacking in most flash books. Most books rehash the inadequate Macromedia manual, give a few examples of how flash works with other programmes and languages and then leave you high and dry.

The nearest thing I saw that even came close was Hillman Curtis's book.

Beyond the Sea

too true, GI Joe

I'm reading his book now and I find it very thought provoking on the whole workflow/design issue. But, it seems to me to not delve too deep. It just skims the surface of a lot of different areas without really going in depth. I would like to see a focus, maybe on one or two projects, that would go from start to finish and explain the process; with client managers, creatives, and programmers all inputting their considerations and insights throughout.

Otherwise, if that's not a good format, then maybe just an overall structure of the beginning, middle, and the aftermath of several different web design projects. What worked, what didn't. What are the considerations at each stage of the production?

well, I'm actually talking about a different book than a straight flash 5 how-to book...maybe there's a hybrid somewhere...

dunno...gonna stop now...
    Rich

Ok so we're all agreed. Acionscripting is what is called for here. Throw my vote in for the Animation also.

I find it easiest to lears with real world examples. From the 'here was the assignment' to how you worked it out to what the final result was. A CD with examples and more files we could pick apart and look at would be great. Not only teach us but send us on a path where we can continue to learn on our own ya know. So many times the examples you see are such a great leap of knowledge and intelect from the stuff that you would actually be asked to do is amazing.

TwoPossums

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Thanks everyone for your input this has certianly helped me construct a good outline.

This is who I have so far:

snuifkip.com
    slop
    mullz
    Bati
    Napalm
    Kapacity
    Aria
    Electro Designs
    misterhyun
    flashmonk
    DaZ
    Kyle
    TiefighT
    Bati
    Stickman
    Storm
    Kraken
    Pope de Flash
    GI Joe
    Kraken
    TwoPossums

Thanks again for your participation.

Diavolo

Yep.
    OK, I don't think anyone's said this yet, but I think you should have a section titled "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Give a little credit to simple design and not overdoing everything. A lot of sites I've seen just have way too much stuff on them, something of everything they've learned so far, so I think that would be a beneficial section.

FK Teletubbie Crew !
    Hey Nadine i would like to see stuff about actionscripting since i dont know anything about it. I think it would be good to learn so it would be cool if u put that in there.
    Your Pal
    Jon

Moderator - Anime Curator Naldoman's Avatar

Design Topics

If this is a book on design, I would like to see attention given to each element of design:

Conceptual - Doing your paperwork before working on your computer.
    Visual - How colors and shapes affect a visitor's response to your interface (i.e. white=corporate, black=edgy, bright colors=entertainment)
    Relational - Keeping that balance between "cool" graphics and "readable" text.
    Practical - WHERE to put those buttons, status indicators, etc. and what to do with them when they're activated.

In addition, I'd like to see a whole chapter devoted to animated widgets or characters. I see them being used more and more, but what makes a widget useful, and not annoying.

Lastly, (no, actually, most of ALL!) I would like to see a whole chapter devoted to using Flash's drawing tools to their full capability. From the comments I read here, it seems most designers don't dare to draw in Flash. Yes, the tools are rather simple, but hey, they're being beefed up in Flash 5 with bezier handles and such. Flash is has respectable drawing tools which can be used with great variety. Designers need not run to Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel, etc. or a clip art gallery for anything with more sides than a square.

[swf width=341 height=75]http://pages.prodigy.net/rwarnold/swf/flashordie1.swf[/swf]

Yes, most importantly, ACTIONSCRIPTING. But more specifically, how to convert actionscripts to motion graphics. I really think this is something every new designer is extremely interested in. All flash books tells us the basics of actionscripting, but are inadequate in explaining what can be done with it. The most I ever see is how I add one field to another, or some BS like that. If you can accomplish this, you've got one confirmed customer here. Sheep would be nice, too.

</Gregory Smith>

Diavolo,

When is this book supposed to be published??

I'm really curious about the final result. Especially when some of the topflashers (e.g. the moderators) of this forum will help you with the content of the book...

Advanced Actionscripting

Advanced action scripting should be covered. I have yet to see a resource, online or off, that covers it.

I dont care about being in a book though.. im all set with that.

Generous offer though.

mb

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by Bati
    Diavolo,

When is this book supposed to be published??

I'm really curious about the final result. Especially when some of the topflashers (e.g. the moderators) of this forum will help you with the content of the book...
    I have no set date at the moment..the publishers will be in contact Sept 4 to talk about content and the overall outline of the book. Oh yes, btw..I am very pleased that Pope is willing to put in a chapter. Maybe if I am lucky I can get some more topflashers.

Diavolo

Diavolo,

Unfortunately, I'm not one of the Topflashers...

Last Ju-Jitsu Warrior

All "Load Variables"

Try to put a section about everything to with Connecting External scripts to Flash.

Explain the connection command in every language.
    And explain if there is a was to LoadVariables from a .js?

This things are often forgoten, then why not be the first one to addmit it?

Good luck with the book,
    Regards, Master Shin.

I've been doing experiments on the use of "video" in Flash, i.e. using bmp's, frame by frame, in all sorts of ways. I'd like this feature of Flash to be analyzed a bit, I think, and it seems that more and more users are getting acquainted with these possibilities, and we see more and more Flash movies made in such a way.

I just finished, for example, a short intro that actually was so processor intensive I had to rework the images and compression, and add more memory to the computer that was used to show, run it through a several times for it to run smoothly at the demonstration.

Info like this, I think, can be important, especially for people taking first steps in this direction, and of course all detailed facts are of use, i.e. what can you do and what not, what file format is best to import for a bmp sequence, how big, when does it start eating up the processor, streaming, etc. etc. I think this info will be useful for those starting in this way of using Flash, and I have the feeling that this use of it is ever increasing.

cheers!

hrannar

a lot of people are as well interested in the use of bmp sequences traced to make vector animations, similar to my footer (on mouseover), and of course Hillman Curtis's book.

a section on that could be useful for newcomers. It just depends on the target audience, is it going to be a beginners' book or for advanced users?

hrannar

im by no means anywhere near even the middle, never mind the top, but ive got a workflow diagram i done a while back for a job.

just basically charts the flow from customer needs, presentation, design, viability to production timescales.

ill see what i can come up with, might at least be an interesting read for us here on the board :>

cheers
    DaZ

Senior Moderator
    Im in!! ill help with pleasure

XML Sockets,Advanced Actionscript

Thats if you dont mind

Samuel C. Granato
    Multimedia Utopia

Originally posted by FlashGuru
    Im in!! ill help with pleasure

XML Sockets,Advanced Actionscript

Thats if you dont mind
    Of course I don't mind! I will certainly get in touch with you and Pope soon.

Diavolo

I've been looking for a good book on Flash. I'd like to see something that includes very good examples, not just the theory behind everything. I'd like to see practical examples from several different applications of the technology. Perhaps including a chapter just on some case studies may help. I am very interested in seeing some good information about creating games using Flash. Also, for professionals it might be useful to have some information about how to develop a project from start to finish. I would definitely purchase a book with this information included.