A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: HELP THE DUMB MONKEY

HI,

I'VE CREATED (WELL STILL PERFECTING) WHAT WILL BE THE FRONT END FOR MY SITE. IT MOVES AND LOOKS FUNKY. NOW I WANT TO PLACE ANOTHER MOVING LOGO IN ONE OF THE CORNERS NEXT TO THE FRON END NAVIGATION STUFF. I'VE CREATED THE LOGO, BUT NOT PUBLISHED IT. SAME WITH FRONT END.

THE PROBLEM OCCURS WHEN I TRY AND IMPORT THE LOGO ONTO THE FRONT END WINDOW. NOTHING HAPPENS. ALL I CAN SEE IS THE ANIM ON THE TIME LINE BUT WHEN I TEST MOVIE I ONLY SEE THE FRONT END NAVIGATION STUFF. WHEN THERE BOTH IN THEIR INDIVIDUAL WINDOWS THEY WORK FINE.

IS IT BECOUSE IT'S NOT PUBLISHED? SHOULD I NOT BE IMPORTING AND DOING SOMETHING ELSE? COULD IT BE THAT THE FRONT END STUFF IS ONLY ONE FRAME LONG AND LOGO SPINS ON FOR AGES, THUS NOT WORKING TOGETHER? IF SO I HAVEN'T GOT A CLUE WHAT TO DO.

PLEASE HELP I'M STUCK LIKE A BAD TURD. A REWARD OF TWO CARROTS WILL BE GIVEN TO THE ONE PERSON WHO SOLVES THIS TRAGIC MESS*

THANKS IN ADVANCE

*I'M LYING

Why don't you publish it and see if it works?

I'm not being funny, but previewing doesn't always give you the true picture.

make sure the imported section is on a layer higher than the others that need to be behind it. Ie. the stacking order. If you have the logo as a symbol ( should be a movie clip to make it spin ) just cut and paste it...that will work just as good as importing.

Arrow

Hi,

Yeah, that sounds about right. But can you tell me how I access this 'stacking' function? Please could you give me a detailed run down of what to do? If you don't fancy it I understand : )

Thanks in advance

The "stacking function" is nothing more than the stacking order of the layers on the timeline. If a layer is at the top of the list, that is where it is in the stacking order. If it is in the middle of the list it will be in the middle of the stacking order. Make sure you put the spinning logo movie clip in the top layer and it should work just fine.

Hi,

That seemed to work. I can now see the logo, but it is not animated. The final step now seems to be importing/copying the movie (the logo with flashy text effects)and making it move and do its funky stuff on the sceen with the front end/navigational stuff.

Finally, I don't think its being recoginsed as a moving clip/animation. When I open the animation from its seperate window, the animation is about ten-twelve frames long. However, when brought (cut/exported) onto the other window with the, sigh, front end/naigational stuff its only one frame long and not animated.

I think I'm doing something very simple wrong, but I just don't now what it is : )

Cheers all

You need to make the animation of the logo into a Movie Clip (MC), then drag and drop the MC from the animation movie's library onto the interface movie. The symbol should get tranferred to the interface movie library.
    If you don't know how to make the animation into a MC, then let me know and I'll give you the steps.

Hi,

Thanks for replying. Must admit, I'm getting headache! I don't now whats up. Could it be that one was made in flash 4 and one in flash 5. I'm clutching at straws. Please would you provide me with the (detailed, please : ])info on changing the logo. It seems weird the way they both work when open'd in differant windows, but when I bring the logo onto the other it don't work. It's just still and not moving.

Again thanxx

Ok, it sounds like you are getting the logo symbol and not the MC symbol. Here's what you do (on a PC, not sure about the keys for MAC):
    1. Hold down the ctrl key and click and drag across all the frames of your logo animation.
    2. Go to edit/copy frames, or press ctrl+alt+c
    3. Now press ctrl+F8 (or insert/new symbol)
    name it "logoMC" and make it a Movie Clip symbol
    4. Select the first frame of the MC timeline
    5. Press ctrl+alt+v (or edit/paste frames)
    6. Your whole animation should be there.
    7. Make sure the library for the animation movie is open and your new logoMC is in the library
    8. Now open your interface movie (keep the logo animation movie open)
    9. You should be able to see the library for the logo animation movie. Drag an instance of the logoMC from the LOGO ANIMATION MOVIE LIBRARY to the stage of the INTERFACE movie.
    10. Open the interface movie library--your logoMC symbol should be there.

Now, what you dragged onto the stage looks like it takes up only one frame. If you want it to last for the whole movie, select the last frame on the logo layer and press f5. This will add frames to the instace until the end of the movie.
    I hope this makes sense. Please reply with specific questions if you have any problems with this.