A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Resolved] Gold Yard - Isometric Adventure Game

Gold Yard update

Gold Yard loads faster now!

A problem with the pre-loading sequence that caused the game to load unnecessary data before starting, has been detected and corrected. The game loading time is now about 50% shorter

This should be a particularly good piece of news for those players using a dial-up connection.

If you ever thought Gold Yard took a bit too long to load, give it another try now, you'll notice the difference.

See you!

it did seem to hang a bit on loading the first bar....

im working on a new banner now so you'll get it soon!

dr_funfrock.

im gathering you want no special dimensions etc for my banner? if so get back to me and ill resize, ive made it standard 468*60 if that is OK?

ta,
    the doc.

Works great on my 166 mhz 32 ram on Medium. High quality is pushing it. Great game. I absolutely love the fact that the doors aren't on the level. Look for a door on the bottom-right wallthe border of it is on the black part. That is very artistic ^_^

I've got a question thoguh. Does the game stream?

---Dr. Funfrock---------
    Standard size (468*60) is perfect

---Somar----------------
    I'm almost moved it runs fine on a 166Mhz (and 32 MB RAM!) machine!
    Tha slowest machine I tried it on was a Celeron433!

Yes it does stream, when the game starts only the first 3 rooms are loaded, the other rooms are loaded while the user is playing. This significantly shortens the pre-loading time.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

[Edited by framais on 08-29-2001 at 12:31 PM]

*Cue the horror music*
    Do you think it'll ever go multi-player?

Hunt The Wumpus!
    Somar

Smile I got a CHEAT!

A suggestion:
    If you are gonna do the savegame thing using some kind of password mechanism, then you will lose the ability to record how long the person has been playing game. If you are gonna do a highscore table, then you need something to distinguish two people that have finished the game with the same amount of gold right? So why not give extra points at the end of the game, for the amount of energy that you have remaining? say 10 points per energy unit or something (or more if it is a hard level).

Also, my sister found a cheat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As you move around a room, the creatures move aswell, right?. But. When you go to the map screen, the creatures positions get reset, while you stay where you are. This is extremely useful when it comes to the final boss. As soon as he gets near you, just press Tab twice, and he goes back to where he started!

Regards,
    Dean

---somar------
    Maybe, but I'm not planning a multiplayer version any soon, as I'd like to expand the game world first and implement a couple more features

---dnalogic-----
    Ah these women!!! hehehe
    Yeah that's a good cheat ...I'll see if I can fix it for the final boss at least

About giving some additional points at the end of the game for the health points remained is a really good idea! Anyway the hiscore table will record the time too, so that players who have the same score are sorted by the time they took (the fastest the better).

[Edited by framais on 08-29-2001 at 07:50 PM]

hi

ive been meaning to post on here for ages now, but im so busy at the mo that time just seems to slide by.

any how, this is an excellent game. i posted quite alot in your previous thread when you where testing it then.

I still love it, i think you have done an excellent job. Im not sure what your are going to do with the game now, but if i remember correctly you had made this game for yourself. You should really try and sell this, it is excellent. Having said that it wont be easy.

im sure youve seen my isometric game, the one in the dungeon, with various rooms, textured walls, but i never got round to putting in a floor! What im saying is i admire your detrmination, and dedication to see the job through. I never manage to finsih my personal projects, so congratulations

good work

thanks
    matthew

hehe - i know too, never enough time to finish. either that or i start something else too soon. i wish there could be 40 hours in a day, that way we would get so much more done!

ps. framais, the banner is coming very soon indeed.

Originally posted by McChicken Nuggets
    hi

You should really try and sell this, it is excellent. Having said that it wont be easy.
    The game is available for licensing now, and yes, I know it won't be so easy

im sure youve seen my isometric game, the one in the dungeon, with various rooms, textured walls, but i never got round to putting in a floor!
    Yes I did, that was cool, I'd like to see the progress if you go ahead with it.

What im saying is i admire your detrmination, and dedication to see the job through. I never manage to finsih my personal projects, so congratulations
    Thanks a lot Matthew, it has not been easy, it took a lot of my spare time to get to the point you can see now (it costed me some arguments with my girlfriend too! ) and I was about to give up more than once.

But what I think is, no matter what one does, he/she should try to finish it. I read this book called "game design - secrets of the sages" (which I strongly recommend to anyone interested in game design and such) and many of the people from the pc game industry agreed on this point, it was one of the main suggestions they give to people who want to start making games. The concept was something like : "better to have a finished, polished version of pong than a super-duper unfinished 3D shooter that nobody can play".
    That said, I'm aware that's definitely NOT easy

Thanks a lot for your nice feedback

Cheers

Francesco

A FLAW?!?!?!?!?!

NOT TO BLOW UP A REALLY NICELY DONE GAME UP IN YOUR FACE BUT...... I ACCIDENTLY FOUND A FLAW!! EVEN KNOW IT ISN'T A SMALL FLAW BUT CAN BE AVOIDED EASY! I FOUND WHEN YOU GO INTO THE ROOM THE THE STATUE ON THE WALL SHOOTING OUT A POINTY OBJECT THAT WHEN YOU PICK UP THE KEY WHEN YOU GET HIT YOU TRANSPORT OUTSIDE THE MAP!!

SORRY TO POINT IT OUT BUT I THOUGH YOU MIGH WANT TO KNOW!

That Is One Sweet Game it has Wicked Graphics and Good controls, I like the Way that wehen you hit an object you bouce to the side and move instead of stoping!

BRAVO

I found a bug

Its like in the 5th room, its slow and green and doesnt want you to get the gold. And makes a funny noise.

The game is great, best flash game i have seen yet.

how long it take ya to do it??

---HAMY 25---------
    Thanks for your feedback, I always appreciate bug-report, that's one of the reasons I posted this game here
    Neverthless, I've not been able to "replicate" the bug myself, I assumed you were talking about the 3rd room, the one with silver key, is that it? Did it happen to you again? Can you be more specific on where and how the problem arises.

Thanks a lot

---HACKEY SACK-------
    Thanks a lot! I implemented that feature mainly to make it easier to pass through doorways but it turned out to work well with objects as well.

---JBudzz----
    hehehe that's a really good one!!

As for the time it took, I've been working on it from October 2000 in my spare time and lately, full time. I'd say it took roughly 4-5 full months total, but it's hard to make a sharp estimation...

lol

here is a great idea for a new thing in the game framais!

why dont you have a room that is very dark, say like a black mist, and the only way you can navigate though it is if you find the candle? there could be loads of traps in the room like pits that if you fall into you die.

hehehe
    dr_funfrock.

Originally posted by Dr_Funfrock
    here is a great idea for a new thing in the game framais!

why dont you have a room that is very dark, say like a black mist, and the only way you can navigate though it is if you find the candle? there could be loads of traps in the room like pits that if you fall into you die.

hehehe
    dr_funfrock.

That's a good idea, it requires a little additional scripting but it's definitely a good idea.

If anybody else has ideas for new puzzles, I'd be glad to know them. They would be especially welcome if the puzzles are similar to those already present in the game (i.e. interaction key-door), cause they can be implemented using the current engine without having to script the puzzle.

Thank you!

[Edited by framais on 08-31-2001 at 11:02 AM]

still a good game, few!

but i justthought id post to say this is the 1000th view of the post! yeah baby

Oh boy, sob, a milestone to be proud of framais (brings a tear to my eye) - wait a sec its a piece of grit....hehe