A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Penny for your thoughts

Hybrid View

What are your opinions on how art/design has evolved from the technology advancement?

Could you rephrase that question?

-Kay

I'm not sure I would say 'evolved', I would rather say 'devolved" (is that even a word) for the most part. This is only due to the shockingly BAD stuff I have seen on the web. People think 'cause they throw up a web page they are a designer. Not so. But, I'm not saying you need a degree to do it either. Basically through technology enhancement (desktop publishing) the whole world thought they were designers. I think that's changing now.

Oh, one other thing. With the technology advancement they sure are making us learn/think alot to keep up!! LOL

Originally posted by kdalby
    I'm not sure I would say 'evolved', I would rather say 'devolved" (is that even a word) for the most part. This is only due to the shockingly BAD stuff I have seen on the web. People think 'cause they throw up a web page they are a designer. Not so. But, I'm not saying you need a degree to do it either. Basically through technology enhancement (desktop publishing) the whole world thought they were designers. I think that's changing now.

Oh, one other thing. With the technology advancement they sure are making us learn/think alot to keep up!! LOL
    you got that learn thing just right! by mistakes we learn the most. mistakes/irritating/bad designs and solutions we remember much better than all cool stuff..

Design is closely related to technological progress, and I am not just talking about Flash.

Oil paints (a technological advancement over egg- based paints!) enabled artists to paint realistic, detailed flesh tones. High- tension steel enabled architects to span distances never dreamed of before. Just a couple of examples.

The thing is, over time bad design reveals itself. The best web sites will still be useful in years to come. The best paintings will still challenge. The best buildings will still inspire.

And Flash? Well, alpha tweening is great (I am as much of a sucker for it as anyone!), but as I said- design rules. And that is down to you: the designer.

amen

http://www.nrg.be

This is a site created in Flash 3! It's a lot better than a lot of sites I've seen, created in Flash 4 or 5...
    I'm just saying that the art-quality depends on the artist.

Off course technological advancements have made it possible to do even more but if you give everybody the same products and the same time, still good arstists will rise above others and there work will be praised for eternity...

Van Gogh had a brush and paint and his paintings are worth more than any of us will ever make by drawing one picture with our 'advanced' computers...

But then again, he's dead...
    That's probably the secret... (cfr. 2pac )

-Mettes

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I am sure that people who used to paint with primative colors thought the world of art was over when the pencil was created.

Creative people will always find a way to outlet their feelings. Perhaps the net has become a place for a new form of art.

I think that if a person is passionate about their deisgn, even if the site is rubbish - he is an artitst. Remember.. only the artitst can call his work art..

Who cares what others think?

Ambassador of Style
    In my opinion, technology has not made better art - it only has allowed for us to create the art we envisioned in our heads in a more time efficient manner. Most of the stuff being done on the web now was done in the print world decades ago (I'm talking about position, space, perspective, color, layout, etc) - it's only being rediscovered and done more quickly due to the power of computers. Granted, some things would have never been thought of or done if it weren't for the influence of technology, but sadly these sites are few and far between. The great sites have truely pushed the envelope. Most sites are simply revisiting old ideas and designs from the past. Eventually, a new style will emerge - but it's something that will most likely not be noticed or appreciated till long after we have passed.

-A02

Technology in general pushes designs and designers to new boundries, and these new boundries demand new ways of looking at problems that we as designers all experience. The web has not 'devolved' design, it has just given us another problem and media to solve. Current web design is forced to constrain with download times, 256 colours, selected fonts as well as a number of browsers. So therefore with every change to technology we will have change in current design, and as design and technology walk hand in hand with one another, i'm sure that by the time broadband has captured the globe we all as designers will have more creative freedom.

peace.

I don't feel there is anything wrong with revisiting old ideas, as long as your interpreting them with a fresh vision. I am a real fan of fifties design (furniture, and objects) and I am seeing this area of design revisited more and more. As long as it's fresh and not a direct rip off--I can appreciate where it's coming from and enjoy it for itself. In my designs I go back to the old fruit crate labels for inspiration. Nothing I do is a direct ripoff, just the basic feel, composition and coloring. It's what I like. What sings to my soul. A reinterpretation.

Ambassador of Style
    That's awesome Phacker - more people need to look to the past for not only inspiration, but also for the logic as to why things were done the way they were.

But, we need to keep the thread on topic...

"What are your opinions on how art/design has evolved from the technology advancement?"

-A02

If when considering technology, you mean the computer and software--I look at them as tools. If you learn how to use them well they make your work easier. I have noticed that any teenage kid that can run a Photoshop filter on a photo and add scan lines, considers themselves a designer. But I think that has been the case with any new medium or design introduction. Eventually the wheat is separated from the chaff.

Just for fun lets compare the introduction of the typewriter and it's place in literature. Before the typewriter authors wrote with pen and pencil. Did excellent typists displace the authors who created original output. Not that you would notice. Take it one step further to TV and Radio. Did the people who knew the technology redirect content: I would have to say yes. For the better? Sometimes, sometimes not. A lot of the content was still directly related to the author, who might still be creating with pen and pencil. Some of it was mainly rubbish created for some misconceived mass market. Will it withstand the ravishes of time--a lot of it probably not. What technology may do well is make the message more readily available to the masses. There are so many aspects of design that are relative to cultural preferences, technology can not completely influence this. It can just facilitate it's exposure.

Ambassador of Style
    Well spoken!

How I wish more threads would be like this on FK...

-A02

Yeah, discussions like this make you think about what get's you up in the middle of the night to finish a project. I think it boils down to communication. A need to communicate your feelings about being human to another human being.