A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to make text stay on a loop??

Ok, the title of this post may sound wierd.

What I'm referring to is, during the movie, having info (text) come in. I know how to make text come into my movie and everything.

I'm trying to get the text to stay where it is, without restarting if it is on a loop. I want the text to stay where it is while the other little animations keep looping. Also, there are 2 graphics that I want to stay where they are while the rest of the animations loop. Please help me!! Thanks.

Smile here ya go

If I understand correctly, you want the text to whoosh in to the screen and stop. but you want other animations to keep looping.

What you do is copy the frames of the text whooshing, and put them in a movie clip all by its self. Then, put a stop action at the last frame.

Or, you can place all your other animations that you want to keep looping in their own movie clips. If you don't put a stop action in the movie clips they will keep looping forever.

Use movieclips instead of putting all the animations on the main timeline

how do i get the movies to link together??

could i just use the "play once" action in the instance menu for the graphic i dont want to keep looping??

why bother?

Why bother? Just put a stop action!

what do i set as the parameters for stop action?? also, do i set the action at the first frame it appears or the last??

Please be specific, im new.

yep

I'm applying the stop action to the text layer and it's stopping my animeation too. Am I supposed to link 2 movies?? Please tell me how to link movies and be specific please. Thanks.

Smile

Copy your frames that you want to stop. All of that animation. make sure you copy ALL the frames for that animation.

Make a movie clip. Right click the first frame of the new movieclip and select paste. put a stop action at the last frame.

Drag the movie clip to where you would like it to be. Now, the only thing that will stop is what ever was in the movie clip you just made.

Take that stop action off of the main tiem-line that you put before. The only stoping is what you want to stop

After some messing with it, I got it to work, thanks a lot for the help!!

Spoke too soon...

Here's what I'm doing, please help.

1> New Layer

2> Putting my text in and setting the length of frames

3> Selecting everything in that layer, copying frames

4> Making a new movie clip through the Insert>New Symbol menu

5> Putting the stop action on the last frame of the text

6> Dragging the movie clip back to the main animation

7> Setting the text to start at the 5th frame

It just keeps looping. The text disappears from frames 1-4 then reappears on the loop. Please help me!!

You really ARE a newbie man. I suggest you check out all the steps / files under HELP>LESSONS.

ok, I've read the help, I have a basic idea of how flash works. The help area did not help with my problem for this.

OK, I have made separate movie clips for all of the parts I want to use.

Symbol 1 movie clip is my text. It's 20 frames long and there is a stop action at the last frame.

Symbol 2 movie clip is my animation that I want to keep looping. It is 25 frames long and does not have any stop action.

I go into the movie and on Layer 1, I am dragging the text movie clip in and the stop action does not appear. I have tried everything and have followed everyones instructions.

Ok. You're almost there. You already put the stop action in the symbol 1 movie clip right? And you dragged both movie symbol 1 and symbol 2 movie clip to separate layers on the stage? (the separate layers isn't vital, just good organization for later editing) And now -- it still loops. Add another layer. Then select the frame in that layer and place the stop action in that frame. (or you could add a keyframe to frame 2 and add a stop action to frame 2--if you make the other 2 layers have 2 frames.). The put it on frame 2 is only if the stop action on frame one doesn't work for you.
    Good luck to you man. And check out the Flash Kit tutorials. Theres a newbie section there that really covers the basics well.

Smile hehehe

kdably is just having fun confusing the newbie. Stop messing with his head kdably!

And if your not trying to make his head explode, then be more clearer because after reading your post, I got a migrane