A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To clone or not to clone, that is the question.

FK Resident Amazon

here's a twist...

here we go...

US-DNA-people
    US firm offers DNA copyrighting to clone-proof celebrities
    ATTENTION - REFILING ///

SAN FRANCISCO, Aug 22 (AFP) - Pop stars, presidents and others worried about running into clones of themselves can now copyright their DNA codes to prevent unauthorized replication.
    But legal experts are divided on whether a person's DNA can be legally protected from duplication.
    DNA Copyright Institute of San Francisco last week launched a service that allows people to file a copyright on their DNA code.
    The service costs 1,500 dollars, and requires a user to first generate a print out a graphical "map" of their DNA code. That map is then filed with the US copyright office.
    Others then trying to be the next, say, Madonna, will then violate the copyright laws, reasons the company's founder, Andre Crump.
    "It's analogous to how software is covered by copyright," said Crump. "You're the author of your DNA code, so you are protected under the copyright law."
    The institute, according to their Web site, believes current US copyright laws apply to DNA. Accord to the US copyright law, anyone can protect "original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or later developed."
    "That law will let us apply copyright law to technologies that are just starting to emerge, like DNA and cloning protections," argued Crump.
    But not everyone agrees.
    Professor Stephen Barnett, who teaches copyright law at the University of California Law School at Berkeley, said DNA can't be copyright protected because individuals don't have "authorship" to their DNA.
    "The author of DNA is not the individual," said Barnett. "The author of DNA is, well, the creator, with a capital C, or whoever you want to believe made us. But it's not the individual."
    Barnett said instead of software code, DNA is like a fingerprint, which isn't created by the individual.
    "It's just a natural fact, not something authored by anyone," Barnett said.
    The Institute's Crump, a 37-year-old former product manager for high-tech companies such as Sun and Apple, said his fledgling company has received a few calls from the curious, but has yet to sign up a client.
    "But I think people, especially those who have some fame, will want to protect themselves this way," said Crump.
    "You don't want to have someone competing against you by being you."

this is a pretty wide area... are you only asking about human cloning here, are you talking about just cloning other people or using genetics and cloning techniques to discover cures for cancer etc??

the one thing that really scares me is how commercial all the gene research is. I guess they had to offer a bit of a carrot or they never would have gotten private money into research, but what they were doing in the US was allowing companies to copyright their discoveries!! How scary is that...

i'm all for genetic research using stem cells to discover cures for conditions like altzheimers, especially now they've discovered that they can recover stem cells from adults, thus avoiding that whole foetus minefield.

this whole area has to be well organised and we need to make sure that what's done is done for the people, not for the companies.

Originally posted by Gandalf_the_white
    Originally posted by killabry
    and mainly the little fetus sheep thing grew too big too fast and sort of died or something. Rather sad... BUT LUCKILY if they cloned humans that wouldn't happen because humans get both sets of the same dna(function) from their parents and they get 2 sets, but animals only have 1 set(the father's is turned off or something) so that's why the grow really big when they are not suppose to.
    what the hell are you talking about?
    I was talking about the birth defects that scientists were faced with while they were cloning dolly(the sheep). Maybe I should rephrase...

While they were attempting to clone cows they were faced with a problem in which the fetus grew too big for the mother cow. However that will NOT be a problem in humans because humans inherit TWO sets of Chromezone from their parents, while cows inherit ONE set.
    Cows inheret two sets as well. One set is just a sperm, or just an egg, but when they come together, there are two sets making up the life.

this is in humans as well as cows.

not your average sock puppet finnegan's Avatar

Re: here's a twist...

Originally posted by Chelle2008
    Pop stars, presidents and others worried about running into clones of themselves can now copyright their DNA codes to prevent unauthorized replication.
    This adds a whole new twist to the concept of warez...

f.

i dont see why everyone is scared, i mean itll just be like seeing a baby being born, i think it would be kinda cool, probably very useful in the eyes of military use, get your best soldier and clone it a million times!

not your average sock puppet finnegan's Avatar
    Originally posted by gurdas
    ... probably very useful in the eyes of military use, get your best soldier and clone it a million times!
    And THAT doesn't scare you?

f.

Originally posted by finnegan
    ... probably very useful in the eyes of military use, get your best soldier and clone it a million times!
    And THAT doesn't scare you?

f.
    i would be scared if they were my enemy but it pretty cool!

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

military use, get your best soldier and clone it a million times!
    Hitler???

And then you start the issue of Clone Rights. If the military created you (cloned you) are you property? Human DNA research is great for curing disease, but it is really scary. Anybody seen Gattaca? (very cool movie, great sets, cool cinematography, corny plot)

cloning

i think that cloning will one day be a big commercial thing.

if you got the money you can have a beautiful intelligent son or daughter - guaranteed..

if you hav'nt well that's tough, you'll have to rely on luck.

it will be a hard world for some and will further split the world into haves and have nots.

anyone here read 1984?

FK Resident Amazon

Originally posted by kdalby
    And then you start the issue of Clone Rights. If the military created you (cloned you) are you property? Human DNA research is great for curing disease, but it is really scary. Anybody seen Gattaca? (very cool movie, great sets, cool cinematography, corny plot)
    Gattaca. Way cool film.

What about Bladerunner and ANDROIDS? arrgh! half clone, half android...scary

*EYES! I ONLY DO EYES!*

really I am just afraid they are going to start genetically engineering police K9 dogs so If I light one up *wink wink*
    I'll have this pack of vicious german shepards who will be able to smell it from miles away and pinpoint my location in like, .5 seconds... now that's SCARY!!!

While they were attempting to clone cows they were faced with a problem in which the fetus grew too big for the mother cow. However that will NOT be a problem in humans because humans inherit TWO sets of Chromezone from their parents, while cows inherit ONE set.

??????????????????????????
    Im going to give your science teacher a beating!!! lol
    All animals inherit two sets of chromosomes dude! Killabry is right.

Originally posted by Visionray

??????????????????????????
    Im going to give your science teacher a beating!!! lol
    All animals inherit two sets of chromosomes dude! Killabry is right.
    sorry my bad. I thought I heard somewhere that animals only have 1 set turned on and humans have 2 or something.

FK Official Postman

Re: Re: here's a twist...

Originally posted by finnegan
    This adds a whole new twist to the concept of warez...

f.
    It would be interesting also, how this kind of piracy would be combated. There are no serial numbers to punch in, nothing to register here except the birth), etc....

So many things that could be done, and not too many ways (that I can think of) to combat it.

FK Hardware Freak
    Emperor of Invincible Sand Castles

Cloning is a big no for me.