A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: - Controlling MC Positions -

First of all, I'm actionscript retarded. I gonna get a book or something, but until then I gotta post on this board.
    So I'm trying to control my movie clips dynamically using actionscript - I got the tell target, gotoandPlay stuff down, but I want find out how to move an MC according to the position of my other MCs, and/or the mouse.
    Specifically, I want to control the y position of an MC according to the y position of another MC. Basically, i want the y position to be the same, so when one moves, so does the other. I've tried a few things, but they don't seem to work. Can anyone help me or direct me to a good tutorial?

Thanks,
    Tim

try something like this:

On the mc you want to move put-

onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    _y = _root.otherMC._y;
    }

otherMC being the mc you want to follow

thanks, but that only seems to set the position for one frame. I want the other clip to follow it while it is moving. What am I missing?

anyone?

Have you definitely put the code inside an enterFrame clip event handler?

DaveT's code is correct. If it's only updating once then my suspicion is that it's not in a frame loop.

You have to right click the clip you want to do the following and select "actions" and then paste exactly that code suggested in the window. Then, provided your other MC is actually called otherMC and is targeted correctly it will work.

Ohhh
    I think I changed enterFrame to load, i thought it was an instruction from dave instead of an actual modifier. Can anyone enlighten me on what enterFrame actually does/means?

Thanks

-Tim

It's an event handler. The enterFrame handler will be executed every time the MC to which it is attached enters a frame. This means that if you attach it to a single frame movie clip it will basically execute the code within the event handle over and over again. This is why it is useful in this context. Because it executes constantly the position of your MC will be updated constantly keeping it in the right place rather than just moving it there once and only once.