A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Bloody sales people and budgets!!

Don't you just love when you've scoped out a site, written the proposal, given a great price for an ongoing client - and then the sales person says it's stil too expensive for them! And that we shoiuld give them more for less!! And they want to charge less than anbother site previously done that was half the size!!

Argh!!!

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    was that at the client meeting ???

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    "Less clients, more personal attention - more clients, less personal attention."

What do they get for that extra money. Perhaps you can sell them on the fact they with someone else they dont get:

This, this, or that..?

What they get is a site that's way ahead of anything else they could get for the price. Believe me, I really, really cut the fat on the original costing.

But, this is my day gig, they just pay me a wage, so if the bean counters really want to charge the client less than it will cost us to build it, then it's their choice.

But I just gotta make sure they know who's decision it is.

Just a little frustrated is all. We're paying for the excesses of a few years ago with bargain basement prices now...

Will even up eventually, but taking a while...

Ambassador of Style
    I don't think it will even out with that kind of pricing methodology. It sounds like the original quote wasn't some dotcom-inflated number - which makes things hard. After the dotcom implosion, clients have had the power - and more often now, good sites are being done at staggeringly low prices.

If I were your employer I would be wary to take on jobs at what sounds like a price that is well below even the current market value. Before they know it - they'll only be able to pull in under-market money. I'm a firm believer of quoting a fair, market value for a site.

Just my thoughts..

-A02

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's

Well in my opinion..

I think taking on work BELOW cost of producing it is silly unless this is some tool to solidify a long term relationship in which the loss will be recouped.

Listen guys, I realize this is a web based forum.. but if you know print development or other forms of graphic design, you will be okay during the web downturn. I have seen no slow down in doing print ads and jobs dont seem like I have to reduce myself to doing work for less than I am worth.

A thought:

Taking on work for less only opens the door for future jobs at a less amount "Well, my buddy so and so at XYZ said you did his site for about $1000 so I think mine would be about the same.... RIGHT?!?!"

Also - if you charge significantly MORE than the standard, and can back that up with examples, you will see that people almost rationalize the high price with the quality. When they see quality at a LOW price.. that almost begs the thoughts of 'too good to be true..'

Ever hear anyone argue about the pricing of a BMW? How about the price of an equally equipped Buick. Why is one more than the other when they virtually perform the same functions..? How you rationalize the expense..

Yes, I do warn them about long term client expectations if we undercharge.... in the end the quote we went for them with was less than I would have done it on the side by myself - and we're using programmers for a CMS!!

Oh well, as long as they keep paying my wage I'll keep costing the real price and giving my best advice - what they do with it is their choice.

Looking around for something else anyway - hopefully someone that knows how to market a good price product.

Cheers
    Dave