A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what fps do most of you top out at? Can you slow a test processor?

I'm interseted in what frame per second rate most flash pros feel comfortable with. Is 12 fps still best for web?

Also, is there some kind of software to slow down a processor to test performance on other machines. I'm on a MP-G4, but would love to test at the speed of a Pentium 2 or Celeron or whatever.

Thanks, Bill

http://www.ksdweb.com

FPS:
    Not been a pro, but sure to read this some threads ago, 20 FPS should be your answer and my choice.

Test software:
    Sorry. Not a clue!
    But shouldn´t be a grate difference because of the streaming capabilities of Flash (.swf) files.

I think that the graphics cards installed do the real difference. Don´t they?

video card vs. processor?

Is that true that the graphics cards and not the processor determine how smooth playback is? If you have a lot of alpha tweens and or bitmap fades I thought the processor is where the slow down occurs.

I know I need to buy a windows machine to test on, and I guess a cheap, slow one, or even a used one would be good. I know almost nothing about them. Any suggestions as to a good test machine?

Thanks, Bill

http://www.ksdweb.com

Also you have to consider that with Mac version of Flash player plugin, movies run slower than with the Win Flash player. And this IS a fact that Macromedia guys yet don't fix.

I suggest any Pentium with Win 2000. Just forget about Win Mi, Mx, etc. A lot of friends bought AMD or Celeron processor and have some compatibilities problems with some Macromedia last versions softwares.

I use 12 for user interaction, 20 for animation.

But I wouldn't necessarily call myself a pro...