A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: graphics program

I need a graphic editor/creator program Adobe, and Paintshop Pro just arn't cutting it anymore, i need something with lots of effects to apply to images. Thanks All

wow

these must be some bad ass effects you want. Look for some of the Adobe Plug Ins around the place.

What doesn't cut it?

There are some higher end packages like Maia, but you'll have to mortgage your mother to buy it, and it's 3D based I think.

j

Ambassador of Style
    Yeah, Maya is a 3D app...

Look for good additional filters from Kai's Power Tools and Alien Skin's Eyecandy...

-A02

are you saying that photoshop isn't cutting it anymore?? What have you been up to??

Mr Snowman
    A drinking village with a fishing problem
    Bluesman - Ah man do I need you. Being doing this site for a blues artist and been messing around with the sound. Right now I have sound loops as placeholders, I asked the main man to do some riffs that sound good when repeated, maybe a sweep with a few notes thrown over it. To convert the tracks into wav or .au format I was thinking of using Gold-Wave, do you know of any other good programs that will do this?

http://www.theswedishtiger.com/Forrest.html

For graphics I highly recommend Macromedia Freehand, graphics programs really don't get much better than this.

Mixter out

I'm wondering if you actually need really bad ass fx. Or you just not aware of what PS can do or the plugs available. Follow Agent02 advice. Try looking up Filter Factory as well, it will allow you to make your own filters. Also you can use rendered frames from any 3d program to add to your graphix. Try mixing and matching filters and fx!

Mmmm. I also wonder what kind of car you drive? Could it possibley be a 96sebring?

mixter73 what gives the impression Freehand is good for graphix. It's a vector program, fx and graphics manipulation are limited to compared to a raster program. If you want to use a Macromedia program for graphics try Fireworks.

Nothing beats Photo Shop for graphics.

Mr Snowman
    I agree with the Filter Factory advice. However why would you not want a good vector program? OK if you have 3d Max you probably don't need it. But cheaper programs like swift are really limited unless you can load vector graphics into them.

I'm not saying not to have or use a vector program. I use whatever prog does the job I want. The opening thread mentioned PS and PSP both raster progs. Vector progs are not even in their league when it comes to image manipulation.

Mr Snowman
    I'm with you now. Thanks for the explanation

Originally posted by megatoon
    I'
    mixter73 what gives the impression Freehand is good for graphix. It's a vector program, fx and graphics manipulation are limited to compared to a raster program. If you want to use a Macromedia program for graphics try Fireworks.

Fireworks over freehand are you insane. Yes it is a vector program hence why it's the best around for graphics.

I've been using freehand for over 7 years way back to when aldus owned it and have no complaints, you may use photoshop for graphics but in conjunction with freehand or illustrator, i.e create graphics in a vector program first and then bring into ps to work on.

Photoshop better than freehand or illustrator for graphics, don't make me laugh.

Mixter out

You're making me laff now! Any draw program doesn't have nearly as much freedom as Photoshop. You can use what ever program you want for graphix but should depend on what the output source is. I'll be sure to tell my boss we should be using Freehand indstead of PS. I won't have a job after that. But I can still muddle through with limited tools in Freehand.