A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: ASP, Server.CreateObject and Flash - Urgent!!

Angry

I am trying to get this asp-script to send a email, after the user have typed in his e-mail adress in a flash-form, but with all the scripts I have tried, I get this error, which is connected to the server.createobject command... Is there any other ways doing this?? It would be enough to be able to save the users emailadress in a text file or html file, together with the date/clock of post

Error Type:
    Server object, ASP 0177 (0x800401F3)
    Invalid ProgID. For additional information specific to this message please visit the Microsoft

Online Support site located at: http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.
    /Webpub/sendmail.asp, line 4

Browser Type:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)

Page:
    GET /Webpub/sendmail.asp

<%
    'Email ASP Code
    '--------------------------------------------------------
    Set Mailer = Server.CreateObject("SMTPsvg.Mailer")

'Change this RemoteHost to a valid SMTP address before testing
    Mailer.RemoteHost = "mail.server.com"
    Mailer.FromName = Request.form("name")+" " +Request.form("email")
    Mailer.FromAddress = "ASP Send Mail"
    Mailer.AddRecipient "Asp Send Mail", "mail@server.com"

Mailer.ReturnReceipt = true
    Mailer.Subject = "ASP SEND MAIL @ VIRTUAL-FX"
    Mailer.BodyText = "Name : " + Request.form("name")
    Mailer.BodyText = "E-Mail : " + Request.form("email")
    Mailer.BodyText = "Comments : " + Request.form("comments")

if not Mailer.SendMail then
    Response.Write " Mailing Failed... Error is:
    "
    Response.Write Mailer.Response
    else
    Response.write "<center><font color=blue>"

end if
    %>
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Send Mail ASP Confirmation page at Virtual-FX.net Flash Resources</title>
    </head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFE8">
    <p align="center"><font face="Century Gothic" size="5">OH LOOK AT THE NICE CONFIRMATION PAGE

</font>
    <p align="center"><font size="3" face="Arial"><a href="sendmail1.htm" target="_top">Return
    to the Send Mail tutorial</a></font></p>
    </body>
    </html>

Talking

Sounds like you are using an invalid name for your object, or the object is not installed properly. The system cannot find your object in the registry. Make sure you tyoed the name correctly.

If you are using the CDONTS object to send mail, don't, it is very buggy, it only works for a few weeks and then just stops sending.

Personally I always install ActivePerl on an NT web server and use Perl to send email is it has a set of useful and reliable libraries.

If you want to log to a text file, use scripting.filesystemobject with the OpenTextFile method, it is really nice. You can use request.serverVariables("PATH_TRANSLATED") to retrieve path information that you can modify and use to point to your logfile location, or just hardcode a path.

PS VbScript 'now' function returns the date
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000384.swf" quality=high WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=40 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Ok,

you error I believe indicates that you are calling an object that isnt registered properly within Windows NT.

As for CDONTS mail Object. I have used it to send my e-mails for a long time. almost 3yrs. But I do I agree it has bugs in it and it isnt as flexible as other e-mail Objects. You also need to have the latest CDONTS dll as it has quiet a number of fixes. It a good object a for a quick e-mail form.