A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is lain series good?

I just got done watching Spirit of Escaflowne and am looking for someting new. I like anime but I'm not to knowledgeable. Is the Lain series any good? The back of the box makes it look real good.

p.s. Has anyone seen Escaflowne of Fox saturday mornings? I was wondering how theyre dubbing is and if they've changed anything about the more mature aspects

thanks
    jk

Here's a link to a pretty good site which goes into great detail discussing the differences between the original Escaflowne and the Fox Dub:
    http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionC...6785/esca.html
    I, too, have not yet seen Lain (still waiting for my DVD place to get it in for me! And I'm such a good customer, too! ), but I hear nothing but good things about it. And they make lots of Mac references throughout the entire series.

i watched the fox kids one. it was nice. of course i never watched the original. they cut out alotta blood. i could tell that easily. the voices are cool and fit the people. all in all i like it. now gotta watch the reeal thing. cno. u still selling those dvds? i wanna buy them.

Lain is deep.....

Goochdude, if you've seen the Neon Genesisseries, and understood the real meaning behind it...and things weren't too confusing...then Lain should be an interesting watch ...for me, it kinda had a Matrix-y kind of feel to it, the reality of the physical world....but also the reality of the Wired which is kinda like the net.....I think...I can't remember too much, so I'll shut up...but it's deep, meaningful, and very crazy!

close one world...open the next.

I agree w/ JP,

Lain DEEP. Settting itself apart from the standard anime (you know, the big eyes and speed lines,) out there, Lain requires you to SIT and WATCH it. Cause if you don't, you're GONE. Yes, it's deep like that. There's not as much movement in the animation compared to most ovas, but the artwork and overall visual aesthetic is gorgeous(and has arguably one of the best intros to a series ever made, and the music is amazing as well). I look to Lain when ever i need inspiration for city shots and cool color senses and camera angles for Battleseed. Definitly a keeper in the collection and even better if you can get your hands on the dvds (4 episodes per dvd, cool bargain). I just had to get 'em all. You can't really compare lain to any anime out there, it's the only one of it's kind. if any one's interested in the character designer (i have both illustration books on lain, i love the art as you can already tell,) Yo****oshi Abe, his site is
    http://www.people.or.jp/~ab/index.html

enjoy !

LeSean-

is it OAV or OVA!? im prettty sure its OAV cause it stands for Orignal Animated Video. thats what i heard anyways.... but lesean just used OVA. so now im confused. ????

OAV, OVA,....what the heck?

Armadillo,

it goes either way. you can either say OAV, which stands for "Original Animated Video",or OVA (Which, by the way is the more popular term in Japan) which stands for "Original Video Animation" pick up any Newtype magazine or Animage to name a few of Japanime/pop culture magazines to see what i mean at any local retailer who has access to 'em.

Best,

LeSean-

aight thanx man. didnt know whic way it wernt. OVA is how i wanna keep saying it. but i read online taht it was OAV and that doesnt roooll off my tounge nicley. heheh

Battleseed is right

If you want to watch the Lain series, you will probably have to have them all POKEMON'!! (where did that come from?), cause if you only watch a few of the episodes you will never get the whole meaning to it. Also, when you watch it, don't ask yourself too many questions, and don't try to put the puzzle pieces together too soon. The Lain series really sent my head for a twirl, but in the end was like Battleseed said "there is no other anime like it". I also have to agree that it is one of the most "CLEAN" anime that i have ever seen. Meaning the artwork and CG is beyond compare to other anime's.

Armadillo, i like to say OVA too. It's the simple things that get us through. Know what i mean. (Fade to black and cut to quote)

what ever happened to "until next time..." nyways. i need to watch lain now. im going to go out and get the movies now.