A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to use the pen tool?

i cant figure out the pen tool in photoshop, this has always been a problem for me, i draw my line and my points, yet i cant figure out how to deselect it, so i end up with a useless line that i cant do anything with. i just dont get it.
    thanx anyone that can help

when you´ve finished drawing your line you have to move the cursor over your startpoint. Then you can see a small circle-symbol next to your cursor and you can close your form by pressing leftmouse. this tool is used for painting pathes, which can be edited in the "path" window.
    If you choose the "lasso"-tool, you can paint forms similar too the pen-tool by holding the ALT Key pressed.
    have phun.
    [Edited by Zordiac on 09-22-2001 at 04:03 PM]

cool thanx for that, i am left with one other question,
    when using the line tool, say i wanna make a grid, if i draw more then one line on a layer i cant move one single line on its own, it will only move everyline (all lines), in fireworks i can move whateva i want, photoshop doesnt seem to have this flexibility?
    cheers
    -rich

Red face

Use layers ..... or else you'll wind up with a big mess.
    Each layer can be moved. When you get your graphic the way you want it.... flatten image.

bd7

I ll have to say trying to figure out the pen tool from reading the manual is not easy !

The best way is to see some illustration and ideally someone else using it who shows you how to draw paths and what its all about !

Heres a link to get you started
    http://www.lynda.com/products/videos...le_movies.html

you can go back to the manual after that, i think it makes much more sense !

A

sorry forgot to say that the pen tool movie tut is the 2nd one called 'Basic Path Drawing '

A

oh yip, thanx for that guys (and gal).

dont do lines in photoshop, cause once you output it it wont be so sharp, you will have like gaussian blur on it, try using illustrator for any vector work especially for lines then just simply copy paste to photoshop...

DES

Pen Tool

Flash 5 has a Pen Tool. Its not as sophisticated as Freehand or Illustrator, but it offers more scope for drawing in Flash. I think the Help Lessons give a guide to its use. Its pretty basic but that seems to be what you want.