A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Importing SWF movies created with Swish into Flash

Hi guys,

I'm kinda new to this forum - although I've learned a lot from it - because this is my first post. I hope someone can help me with this. Here goes..

I use Swish V2.0 (19-09-2001) and create movies with it and I want to use them in my Flash 5 files. But everytime I export the SWF file from Swish and import it in Flash 5 I get a lot of keyframes that I can see by moving the mouse in the timeline. But when I test the movie in Flash I can't see anything. Just plain white screen (no animation).

Am I doing something wrong here ? or is this a software bug ?? Please help!!!

Firstly, I don't use Flash -- so, I don't have any further explanation than the following ...

This question has been asked several times before, and the answer is that when you import a .SWF (made in SWiSH) into Flash, you lose all actions in that movie ...

The best way to preserve your original .SWF is to use the Load Movie in Flash, and just load the .SWF into a different level ...

Here is a search on importing SWiSH into Flash ... There are several threads that may help ...

http://board.flashkit.com/board/sear...aily=&pagenum=

Hope it helps, Good Luck ...

Peaces
    Cadence

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    Its a bug .. limitation at least .. in Flash. Flash does a poor job of importing SWF files.

see: http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ts/tn4109.html

I'd ask in a Flash forum why the given SWF doesn't import .. but don't mention SWiSH or you may get the cold shoulder and the Flash fanatics will start telling yous SWiSH sucks, you should use Flash and not actually help you with your problem

There is no problem with importing SWiSH into Flash (other that Flash's own problems) and (assuming you're not suffering from one of those limitations) the SWF should play.

You may find using the Load Movie action in Flash (to load into a movie-clip target) will be better - there are no (or few) limitations there .. nothing gets stripped out or ignored.

Thank you a lot...

Thanx 4 all the help guys.. At least now I know I didn't mess things up.

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    I've found the problem.

It is a BUG in Flash itself when importing SWF files.

If you have the "[x] Do not animate off-stage object" option turned on in
    the export panel, then SWiSH will generate a mask object so that object that
    go off stage are not visible. This is perfectly valid.

However, when Flash reads in the SWF file with the mask layer, it gets
    confused, and when you export from Flash (even though it looks ok in Flash
    edit mode) everything is invisible (because it stuffs up the masking).

We'll get an update ready shortly that has a workaround for this Flash bug
    (not the first time we've had to do this).