A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: SPLASH inside >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi,

Started experimenting in photoshop and came up with this splash...

Thought I just wanted to show you guys..

http://www.subsubsystems.f2s.com/splash

greetings

Sense

FK Jedi Pimp
    Hey,

That's really good. I can't wait to see the actual site, not just the splash!

L8

agreed! nice work.

yeah that's nice work, i especially like the masking in the lettering.

my only criticism would be the positioning of the graphic, i'm looking at it with a 1400x1050 resolution and it all looks a little pushed up in the corner, maybe it needs some sort of margin instead of none.

Also you should try to make the graphic more a part of the site as a whole... i know it's only a bit of html there with updates but you could easily make that part of your splash graphic with a little imagination, bring it all together.

good stuff.

tnx for the good reactions

and finally some criticism too...

I agree with the positioning of the image. It was designed for a 1024x768 resolution wich was when I look at it now not the brightest idea :-)

But that's allways the point where to ask yourself what is best.
    Designing it 1600x1200 will give huge scrollbars for most of the viewers, and then there is is that allways returning question...
    Where to draw the line between design and usabilty.

I could try now fading the edges into the white background and give it that whole look...

And what the h***, this is only the first. A lot more to come and it's from that early mistakes you learn the most :-D

to be continued...

Sense

Ambassador of Style
    Not bad, but friggin HUGE (overall file download time). Seriously consider making the part of the image with the white "netting" GIFs instead of JPEGs. I'll bet you'll cut at least 20K of overall download time and since the lettering is so obscrued behind the "netting" the image quailty should be about the same. Try it.

-A02

love the site man...the spleash screen looks awesome, and truly like that motion blur effect u did for the pic section..truly good stuff keep up the good work man

Re: tnx for the good reactions

Originally posted by sense
    and finally some criticism too...

I agree with the positioning of the image. It was designed for a 1024x768 resolution wich was when I look at it now not the brightest idea :-)

But that's allways the point where to ask yourself what is best.
    Designing it 1600x1200 will give huge scrollbars for most of the viewers, and then there is is that allways returning question...
    Where to draw the line between design and usabilty.

Sense
    i wouldn't make the image any bigger to be honest with you but i would think about centring it or creating a gutter or simply a margin to 'bring it out'

the thing that still stands out the most for me is the fact that the 'news' bit on the right could be nicely integrated into the image..

also, i didn't find the download time long at all, if you're having trouble with that it's probably because the image is broken up into several sections. Each time your browser downloads one of these sections it has to reconect to the server and query it. Some people find this instant other people often get a delay over it, depends on the isp and server. Even once your image is cached the browser will query the server to see if the cached image you have is the most current one.