A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ******Thread Titles - make 'em descriptive*****

UNified
    ahinalu,
    your post need not be addressed to moderators only as there are a lot of members here who help a lot and get frustrated by the often repeated questions of newbies (and others).
    FYI
    This forum once had a WELCOME thread that was always at the top of the page.. set out some friendly suggestions however only put a small dent into issues like Descriptive Thread titles.. ( a hard thing to do BTW when your brand new to something you know little about) Search before you aske etc etc.

Maybe a "read and comply or you can't come in" entry form?
    While a valid suggestion it hardley fits what the SWISH community is on about.

A helpful forum is a patient forum that sometimes posts threads like this one ( it does not popup to the top of the list by accident every couple of days) and provides an atmoshphere that soon gets across to new members.
    The fact that you have posted here is an example of the impact this forum can have.

Its often been suggested that the TOP THREAD should be titled FAQ's instead of WELCOME but the truth seems to be that most arrive with a problem, post a question to solve their problem, get an answer pretty quick and soon see how the forum operates.
    Before long (hopefully) they are helping others as well.

As a HELP forum I guess its hard to be anything other than HELPFUL
    All suggestions on Forum improvement are appreciated and and thanks for your contribution.

BTW, i cant remember the original rules of Flashkit either come to think of it.

"entry form"

Originally posted by jofta
    ahinalu,
    your post need not be addressed to moderators only as there are a lot of members here who help a lot and get frustrated by the often repeated questions of newbies (and others).
    FYI
    This forum once had a WELCOME thread that was always at the top of the page.. set out some friendly suggestions however only put a small dent into issues like Descriptive Thread titles.. ( a hard thing to do BTW when your brand new to something you know little about) Search before you aske etc etc.

Maybe a "read and comply or you can't come in" entry form?
    While a valid suggestion it hardley fits what the SWISH community is on about.

A helpful forum is a patient forum that sometimes posts threads like this one ( it does not popup to the top of the list by accident every couple of days) and provides an atmoshphere that soon gets across to new members.
    The fact that you have posted here is an example of the impact this forum can have.

Its often been suggested that the TOP THREAD should be titled FAQ's instead of WELCOME but the truth seems to be that most arrive with a problem, post a question to solve their problem, get an answer pretty quick and soon see how the forum operates.
    Before long (hopefully) they are helping others as well.

As a HELP forum I guess its hard to be anything other than HELPFUL
    All suggestions on Forum improvement are appreciated and and thanks for your contribution.

BTW, i cant remember the original rules of Flashkit either come to think of it.

jofta,
    I didn't mean "do this or you can't come in" strictly. I meant it in a; ok, you signed up entered name etc., now here's a page with "rules" (for lack of a better word). I know I would have appreciated a little help with proper etiquite (sp? have you guys thought about a spell check option here, as well as the swish program?) ;-). That's all. :-) :-)

Aloha Ahinalu

Ahinalu

Being a forum moderator on other forums as well as operator in chat I can tell you entrance pages rarely stop snerts whom feel it's there right and privledge to stomp on others or assert themselves in a less then productive manner. They come in with total disregard and maintain a level of disrespect after the arrival.

Whilst I side with you that some newbies may have specific requests that they cannot properly express on first try generally speaking afterwards they catch. Sometimes it takes more then a casual glance to achieve this. Hence the need for this topic to be posted. If you notice more closely the moderators and senior members still try to help the unenlightened with there specific swish issues while trying to direct them to the proper method of researching the answer. Very often topic's are not swish centric at all and yet Mod's senoir members will still try to address the issue which is above and beyond thier primary roles. If the mod's really wanted to they could simply delete the posts and would be well within the guidlines.
    All in all I think the way the problem is being dealt with is the most fair for all parties involved including and especially Newbies so they to can not only learn the ropes but as well learn how to address issues of others and become true members of the community.

Some good pov's here. I'll read and learn!

Darren

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    aaaaaark!!!!!
    just to bring this back to the top.
    Titles like- 'swish problem' or 'help me' don't tell people if your problem is one they can actually help with, nor do they help when people are searching the forum to see if similar problems have already been solved.

If your 'swish problem' is in reality - 'I can't see the report when I use the test function'. Then put 'Problem with Test function' as the thread title.
    It's common sense really.
    Then when some else searches for 'test function', they will easily find the thread with it's responses. They have no chance at all of finding it if it is called 'swish problem'

please just think about describing your problem in the title.
    david p

Had to reply. There's nothing wrong with a reminder every once in a while which, I think was the purpose of the original post.

With a reminder those newcomers will be helped along as well as learn how to do a proper search. Sometimes when stuff becomes a habit we ourselves forget the proper thang to do.

Bumpity, bump.

Too many Newbies and Oldies posting vague subjects. Hurts the search feature and keeps you from getting any real good help as this forum is dog-slow and no one is going to bother reading 'Help with...' if it takes 2 minutes just to be able to view the message.

UNified
    Spot on Spam Lover... And then if this place ever gets so fast it screams.. STILL MAKE THE THREAD TITLES DESCRIPTIVE

Bump
    Agreed
    Dev

...of course then there's the OTHER kind of poster, who seems to post his/her entire question in the titlebar...

like...

" I can't seem to get my movie to play and I checked everything that I could. Could this be a bug in my computer or in my software?"

Then when you click on the title their entire post reads something like.

" any ideas? "

No more multiple posts on same subject!

Please don't get impatient and make more than one post on the same subject!

Same subject/Multiple posts make it to difficult to find and followup on answers.

First, yes to descriptive titles.

Second, this has become one of the biggest forums at FlashKit. How about some sub-forums. As a newbie I am very willing and interested to follow past threads but it can be really frustrating to know where to look.

Third, does this board software let you moderators set up some fixed threads that always show up at the top of the forum? That way you could set up some common, descriptive titles that always show up first so people like me can get a little direction. You would be more in control of the forum.

Great Forum! Fantastic Replies!

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

Bill

Exellent advice David. Now, you would think that someone with (Posts: 2295) to their name at Flash Kit forums would NOT write a non-descriptive thread title like: "Think you can do this?" wouldn't you? It's not just newbies you see.

Find the thread I refer to below... and see which Flash Kit "Heavywieght" it is writing non-descriptive titles.

Duir.

Triple O

Originally posted by Duir
    Exellent advice David. Now, you would think that someone with (Posts: 2295) to their name at Flash Kit forums would NOT write a non-descriptive thread title like: "Think you can do this?" wouldn't you? It's not just newbies you see.

Find the thread I refer to below... and see which Flash Kit "Heavywieght" it is writing non-descriptive titles.

Duir.

Duir / Movie Mogul
    Is there really any need for this type of post.....?

Bump

Taper Boy for the Prophets of the Funk
    *bump*
    and my 2 cents are here on the subject (scroll down a lil' bit)
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...5&pagenumber=2

Maybe if someone posted a topic
    "totally awesome FK feature"
    and linked it to this thread

UNified
    Well put

ok...who let this one get 8 pages deep?

Can't this be made a "sticky" thread at the top?

UNified
    Sure wish it could be.... sometimes ...KLT