A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cross Platform ?

I am relatively new to flash4. I am hoping to create a projector file that will be as cross platform as possible. (pc/mac)

Questions:

If I link to a projector file from an HREF, will that enable the audience to view the flash without having to download the player? If not, is there any way to overcome that?

Will a projector file be cross platform enough for CD distribution?

Is there a QT standalone player that can be used in coordination with a projector file?

Finally, what additional benefits are there with Flash5, QT and projectors?

Thanks,

chris-

I can answer #1

By linking to it as HREF it's going to open as a download.. and then if the user chooses Open from this location.. it will then instantly open..

It should be noted that the Flash plugin has come included with every version of Internet Explorer 4 and up..

Sure there are ways to overcome it.. but not easily.. Because your program must be cross-platform, your delving into a hole world of hell.. (that is if you just want click and launch)

I'll give you a list of options and you can choose what you would dare to try.. (I'm sure everyone of these idea's will work except D.. D would require further research to prove conclusive)

A. Develop or find a program that installs ActiveX controls on both a Mac and IBM and then launch your .exe from a web page.. (unfortunately ActiveX is only supported by IE)

B. Write a plugin.. make it cross platform compatible.. and install it through your cdrom and then launch your .exe from a web page..

C. Develop or find a program that installs the flash plugin on both a Mac and IBM and then launch your .swf from a web page..

D. Specify the location of the plugin through your web page.. (if this doesn't break any licensing agreements of course) place it on your cdrom.. and have the plugin install through the cdrom (this would only work for IE.. because IE support's ActiveX.. netscape doesn't)
    [Edited by The Master on 08-31-2000 at 12:55 PM]

Thanks for your reply, Master. heh, that sounds funny.

So basically, If they have netscape, they might not have flash installed; so almost by default, I have lost some potential audience members on PCs.

My plans were to create a projector file on CD for distribution (ads) and have the same animation available online.

Still, some is better than none.

Thanks again.