A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: need some help with fs command

Heres the deal I'm using both swish and swiff canvas to help me make a cd presentation and swiff uses specific commands to launch files from a local directory so you can hop around the drive letter issue.

Heres what swiff says on the subject:Launching files on a CD-ROM (or other local files)

When a SwiffCANVAS projector is launched, it first unpacks itself into the clients "temp" directory. This directory also becomes the "active" directory, so that for example, SWF's packed as additional files get launched properly when called with a "LoadMovie" command, without a path specified.

When you didn't pack any files in the projector itself, but provide them "loose" on for example a CD-ROM. You are in need of knowing the drive letter & directory from which the projector got launched.

SwiffCANVAS solves this problem by providing the "local:" prefix in your the SwiffCANVAS exec. Command. If you define a command like this:

FS Command ("exec", "SwiffEXEC(LOCAL:FileToLaunch, Parameters)")

The "FileToLaunch" part will be searched for relative from the drive and folder where the projector file itself was launched from. So if the projector is on a CD-ROM in the directory "Projector", and on some client system this would be drive "X:", this command:

FS Command ("exec", "SwiffEXEC(LOCALataFolder\SomeOtherExecutable.EXE)")

It will be executed in runtime as:

FS Command ("exec", "SwiffEXEC(X:\Projector\DataFolder\SomeOtherExecut able.EXE)")

If you can help me that would be great because I just cant figure it out. I must be misunderstanding it or something.

Rykor:

This may sound like a smart answer, but it's not. I read this twice, but I don't see a question? Did you have a specific question? It appears that the documentation tells you how to launch an executable utilizing the FS Command "exec," as well as solving the pathname for you in advance. Everything is installed into a temporary, active directory and launched from there, as I read it.

But it doesn't appear to me that you actually asked a question. Sorry. What is it you are trying to do, what have you tried, and what is not working? Could you please be more specific?

James

"I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

SWiSHer extraordinaire
    I'd ask the Swiff Canvas people to help on this. Acutally, I'm not even sure what your question is.

Originally posted by roger_onslow
    I'd ask the Swiff Canvas people to help on this. Acutally, I'm not even sure what your question is.
    I'm sorry I was in a bit of a rush to get home. I'm asking how would I do this in swish v2? I know I would put the on press do FS Command and in the command box I would put "exec" but I just cant seem to figure out the Argument half. So Im trying to figure out if some one could give me an example of what I need to put in there using the directions it states in my last post.

Here's one recent thread about the FS Command, with instructions for a particular implementation that you might at least be able to adapt to your needs.

thanks Lib

but i just figured it out plus your seems a bit more complicated but its exactly what I'm trying to do.

Just for people who may be curious here is what I put for the FS Command

Command: exec

Argument: SwiffEXEC(LOCAL:myfile.xxx)

This allows me to launch any external file without having to worry about drive letters or even programs since I'm going to give them the option to install the program that may be needed to view the file.

And If I were to load movie the current directory would be just the file name and extention. So I could do this
    "myfile.swf" and it would load it no matter what drive letter as long as its in the same directory.

I could even put it in folder by puting the action as LoadMovie filefolder/another folder/myfile.swf and it would still load as long as its all in the same directory.