A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how spinning 3d object --> on mouse over same 3d wireframe object

Talking

I made my 3d spinning logo, and I made the same one in wireframe, now how can I have it always spinning and on mouse over it turns to wire frame?

the only thing I could think about would be to have both cubes spinning, and then on mouse over, affect the alpha - this is within flash, and using the *.swf's in layers.

hope that helps.

Originally posted by morgantj
    I made my 3d spinning logo, and I made the same one in wireframe, now how can I have it always spinning and on mouse over it turns to wire frame?

Just place each animation in it's own movie clip then set up a button that has the solid animation in the Up frame and the wire frame animation in the Over frame.

I did that, but the over button area seems so small that I have to place my mouse in a very exact location to get it to wireframe...

Originally posted by RUSHVision
    Just place each animation in it's own movie clip then set up a button that has the solid animation in the Up frame and the wire frame animation in the Over frame.

In such cases I will make a separate layer and create a shape that covers the entire area that you want to be active and then move it so it resides only in the Hit Frame of the button timeline. You also want to do this for buttons that contain only text.

Thank you, that is very helpful, what about the issue when I do the mouse over - the the wireframe animation starts from the begining rather then from where the current rotation is of the solid...

Originally posted by RUSHVision
    In such cases I will make a separate layer and create a shape that covers the entire area that you want to be active and then move it so it resides only in the Hit Frame of the button timeline. You also want to do this for buttons that contain only text.

So to get that to work, you are going to want to set it up a bit differently. You want three items on your main timeline.
    1) a movie clip with the shaded object
    2) a movie clip with the outlined object
    3) a button that controls the action

You can see the effect by mousing over any part of the movie. You will need to give your movie clips instance names then you can target them and set their alpha or visibility with various mouse events. You want to be careful with this technique though, because even though the wireframe version is not visible, it is still there and taking up processor power.

[swf height="200" width="300"]http://www.rushvision.com/flashkit2/gearWorx01.swf[/swf].

You can download the .fla here.

I added the line so you could see that it does not jump back to the first frame on mouseover. The button simply has a shape the size of the stage in the hit frame and that is all.

Thank You !!! That worked, thats excatly what I was trying to do, your the man! I've added some sound on mouse over also... Thank you again for all your help and advice! here is the link if you want to see...

http://members.home.net/tjm0rgan/
    [Edited by morgantj on 10-06-2001 at 04:52 PM]

That's looking good. Nice work!

Take it easy

wireframe animation

how did you create that wireframe animation its awesome, I'm thinking of experimenting with it myself.

Re: wireframe animation

Originally posted by carlosa69
    how did you create that wireframe animation its awesome, I'm thinking of experimenting with it myself.
    I am not sure how RUSHvision did his but here is a version (with two wireframes - one on rollover and one on click) where the 3D was made in Swift3D, and the swf in Swish - http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/F...arrollover.swf

Peace,

Flick

Hey carlosa69 ~

There is a link to download the .fla file for the example I posted directly under the movie. Just pull it in, open it up, and check out how I did it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to post them.

I didnt see anything I didnt allready know in the fla file. But how did you export the outline animation from swift? Or did you seperate the lines and the gradients manually? Thanks,

Which version of Swift 3D are you using? In version 2 you would render edges and no fill. In version 1 in the export menu you would choose edges in the outline menu and uncheck fills.

Peace,

Flick

Like he said...thanks, Flick.

so cool

Man this is sooooooo cool! Thanks, sorry I didnt pick up on that... Somebody should write a tutorial for this!

[Edited by carlosa69 on 10-13-2001 at 11:39 PM]

what about fading from wire to filled almost like it fills up from the bottom?

Originally posted by xmrbeansx
    what about fading from wire to filled almost like it fills up from the bottom?
    Is this what you mean - http://www.wellesley.edu/Chemistry/F...ubeoctfill.swf - just the two sprites running at the same time, one of them with a moving mask.

Peace,

Flick

ty got it
    but did it w/ flash

ty i got it
    but did it w/ flash 5