A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: developing a front-end app

hey all, I'm curious as to whether any of you know if its possible to use flash as a front end for a C++ program. I love how "pretty" flash is, but I need to create a program to use as a frontend for mp3/dvd software.... Any help would be much appreciated. Please mmail me @ theo@iastate.edu

thanks!

Theo Peterson

Yes, and you pass your variables using FS Command. Go to http://www.openswf.org and they have a download of the player intergration SDK that you can download and look at the samples.

this is the exact link http://www.openswf.org/code.html

[Edited by johnie on 10-09-2001 at 09:00 PM]

ok, now that I knwo thats possible I'm getting pretty excited. Does anyone have any source code examples of a program doing this that I might look @ in order to better understand this stuff?

Thanks again
    Theo

There are a couple of ways.

1. Use the Flash Active X control OCX within your C++ app. Problem is that the end user will have to have the Flash plugin installed.

2. Create a projector file, use *********** Jugglor http://www.jugglor.com to remove the borders. Then call the *.exe from our app, then display it for about 5 sec and close it and run your app. This way the end user will not require the flash plugin.

Hope the above helps

Same thing with VB6?

I was doing something similar, but with Visual Basic 6. I was able to use my movie's swf in it, but I am not sure if the user must have the flash plugin to view it. Does anyone know if this is also true with VB?

Sure 100%. The user will need the Flash plugin.

ok, then. that sux, but i can try your work-around. Thanks for your help, *********** Support Team.

Ok, thanks for all the help I've gotten already, but I probably hsould explain myself better. This isn't for others to use, so any system requirements (flash plugin, etc.) don't matter. This is just going to a be a front end for controlling numerous funcitons of an in-car entertainment/information system. I'm using C++ to control some laser rangfinders, cameras, dvd/mp3/gps, etc. But, my C++ program looks like junk. I happen to be able to make things look good in Flash (as can pretty much anyone) so thats why I want to use it. What I really need is some source showing me a bit of how to get Flash and a C++ executable working together. If anyone oculd help me with this I'd appreciate it tons!

Thanks again,
    Theo

The MM site has, or did have, a Player intergration SDK- it included a sample of it. Check the MM site if you can't find it I'l dig about in my HD as I had this SDK at one time.

Ok yes Johnie is correct, We suggest you look in the SDK it has some samples in there.

Good luck