A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what OS should I put on?

I've got friends who have lent me various Windows CD's, ME, 2K and XP. at the moment, I've got 98 on...which one should I put on?

FlashKit Joker
    Originally posted by phatey
    I've got friends who have lent me various Windows CD's, ME, 2K and XP. at the moment, I've got 98 on...which one should I put on?
    I have a cd that let's you run 'Amiga OS' (lots of cool games). No serious I stick at WIN 98se.

What will you be doing on the OS?
    What type of applications will you run and any games?

Well i work as tech support and i can tell you that from all the Windows os the most reliable is still 98 se, so stick with that if you don't want to crash your pc every day, and also as an advice you should install and get aquainted with Linux.

Originally posted by Hellbelowme
    Well i work as tech support
    Oh dear you work in tech support? All the crap you have to put with from all the users!

FK Official Postman
    ...most reliable is still 98 se...
    I've noticed the Win2K pro is alot more stable...only downside is that you have to have all relatively current hardware. Otherwise...

For home though...mainly games...98SE.

Well i work as tech support and i can tell you that from all the Windows os the most reliable is still 98 se.
    um.....
    98se is most reliable ?!

I believe Win2K and NT are more stable than 98se.

Alien Bob
    My spaceship's currently in for it's service...

Orbiting the Earth just above Peterborough
    Sell your PC, by a mac, and put on OS X

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

You've used them all? Put on the one that worked best for you

win2k sp2.

period.

The most stable OS I can remember using is MS-DOS 3.1. Honestly, I never got it to crash. It was even more stable than the OS used on the Sinclair Spectrum!! Plus, you didn't need a top-of-the-range machine to run it - all you needed was a 8Mhz 8086 with 640K of RAM!!!

If you really really need a GUI, may I suggest Windows 2?

Forget WinXP, Win2k, or Linux, serious users use the King of all OSs: Windows 3.1. Now that's an operating system! Nothing spells power like a 16 bit OS . I have the complete OS on 12 1.5 floppies if your intrested...

Well I've been running XP for 4 months now and I gotta tell ya, that is the way to go...has the stability of 2000 Pro and the gameplaying capabilities of ME (98SE with a few added memory hogging perks) If you are planning on buying, try to get out soon to buy 2000 Pro or ME because they may still have stock on the copies with upgrade certificate. I just found a copy of 2000 Pro with the certificate and paid $199.00 Cdn for it and from what I hear they are shipping full versions of XP when you submit the certificate. Is a cheaper way than actually buying XP pro ($260.00 Cdn). The home version may work for some of you and is a fair bit cheaper, but I need the extra networking and security options available only in the Pro version.

thanks guys.
    I've decied to go with Win2K. The kinda work I'm going to be doing on it is mainly graphical work. Photoshop, Illustrator, 3D Studio Max and the trail version of Maya.

I did a complete install (format HDD and do clean install) as I've heard is the way to go. I haven't had it crash on me...yet But I think it's better than 98 se by far. It's running a tad slow...but that's ok, I've got a slow computer

Oh and someone here suggested that I sell my PC and get a mac...yeah well...money That's the only thing that's stopping me from 'breaking out' I've worked on various macs...one of which was at a recording studio and had dual G4 processors and dual 21" monitors! I was in complete designers heaven!

As for running win 3.11 and dos...yeah, those were the good ol days I've actually got Dos to crash on me! No joke! This is serious! I was not a happy camper

nah go with XP, i hear its stabler than win2k, and have more features, pro version the best. however win2k is still real cool. and em, win98se and winme suck!

FK Official Postman
    Originally posted by Elite_Flash_man
    nah go with XP, i hear its stabler than win2k, and have more features, pro version the best.
    My firned has a new pc with winXP home. It crashe alot, she says. I've heard win xp pro has a slow boot time also, vs. win2k.

Originally posted by Elite_Flash_man
    nah go with XP, i hear its stabler than win2k, and have more features, pro version the best. however win2k is still real cool. and em, win98se and winme suck!
    well I'm just testing them out...and if I like em...I'll purchase em. I can't just install my friends copies and keep em...that wont be right.

Oh and if Win me sucks...then why have you got it on your system

FK Official Postman
    well I'm just testing them out...and if I like em...I'll purchase em. I can't just install my friends copies and keep em...that wont be right.
    You do know about activation where if you don't put in the code for a few days, you cant use the PC...and if the OS is already registered on a PC, then it wont work on the 2nd one?

yeah, I know about it. Shame really...that's the only thing that'll keep me from buying it

yeah, I know about it. Shame really...that's the only thing that'll keep me from buying it
    Just dissable auto updates, and disconnect internet when you install. I prefer to be annonymous as well and I've had it running for 4 months now. XP Pro is far more stable than 2000, I'm running 2000 Pro on one of my backup servers and it craps once in a while but XP has not yet and I use it for high end graphics all day long, 7 days a week and I have not shut it down once since install.