A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what OS should I put on?

ok...so I've got Win2K now...should I upgrade or not? I mean, somethings may not run on it yeah? or will most NT products run on it considering it is an NT based thingy.
    If I do upgrade or change to XP...should I clean install again?

Originally posted by phatey
    ok...so I've got Win2K now...should I upgrade or not? I mean, somethings may not run on it yeah? or will most NT products run on it considering it is an NT based thingy.
    If I do upgrade or change to XP...should I clean install again?
    I actually clean install every time I change operating systems, it is not absolutely necessary from 2000 to XP, should upgrade fine. I just prefer to clean install from past experience.

yeah thought so.
    So anyway...should I install it? If yes...why? if no..why?

Señor member
    Ever since I bought my new machine a few weeks back, I've been trying vsrious versions of windows and I'd have to say that now I'm finally happy with the original version of win 98 and IE5 as a combo! The win 98 update version crashed my championship manager game (I couldn't let this happen )

I'd vote for the original win 98 as it's been perfectly stable since I installed.

Originally posted by jamble7000
    Ever since I bought my new machine a few weeks back, I've been trying vsrious versions of windows and I'd have to say that now I'm finally happy with the original version of win 98 and IE5 as a combo! The win 98 update version crashed my championship manager game (I couldn't let this happen )

I'd vote for the original win 98 as it's been perfectly stable since I installed.
    I'll give you about 5 days j/k
    The only reason why I decided to change over to 2K or XP was because maya couldn't run on 98.

Señor member
    Originally posted by jamble7000

I'll give you about 5 days j/k
    The only reason why I decided to change over to 2K or XP was because maya couldn't run on 98.

LOL, for the software I run at the moment, I don't get any conflicts or crashes so I reckon I'll stay on this for the time being ... until it does eventually crash and format my hard drive ... it is microsoft after all ...

Right now I'm running windows 98, I think I'll upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition just for the heck of it, and its new look and features+a built in firewall, lol!

But anyways I think, regardless it can't hurt you, am I correct?
    I've read maybe 7 or 8 sources and that why I know about it!

Thanks

Originally posted by EchoHype
    Right now I'm running windows 98, I think I'll upgrade to Windows XP Home Edition just for the heck of it, and its new look and features+a built in firewall, lol!

But anyways I think, regardless it can't hurt you, am I correct?
    I've read maybe 7 or 8 sources and that why I know about it!

Thanks
    The reviews of course are great and for good reason but are based on the final Beta release, which still has a few minor bugs...it is the one I have been running for 4 months continuously. I have no qualms about using XP final release and if you are going from 98 and not 2000, you will notice a huge change in the feel and functionality of XP. Go for it, it's the best release of windows to ever leave Microsoft...yeah yeah, I know that doesn't mean a lot, but still if we are forced to go Microsoft it is the best choice. The few minor probs I have encountered are drivers for XP, the same thing happened with the first release of 2000, supposedly most companies will have all drivers available for mid October...we will see. Default driver in XP will work for now, but may not give you full functionality. Nothing serious to worry about but something to research before you jump in with both feet. Better to be prepared and have all the updated drivers on hand before you start the install.

Originally posted by Elite_Flash_man
    nah go with XP, i hear its stabler than win2k, and have more features, pro version the best. however win2k is still real cool. and em, win98se and winme suck!

Oh and if Win me sucks...then why have you got it on your system
    true dat true dat, lol, i had xp home installed, but if i didnt mabye it would be too expensive and i not have the cash??????