A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should I expect to learn 3D Studio Max....

Plutarian(From Pluto, stupid!) kitchee's Avatar
    Yeah...finally got this program 3DS 4!!! I can't wait to jump in and start making some of my more exotic ideas and short movies.

Well I'm in the process of going through the tutes that come with it and though I'm learning slowly and things are starting to make sense I know I am far from using the program to its limits.

How long should I expect this learning process to last? I'm not taking a class just learning on my own. Should I take a class???

I know Flash took me a solid 3 months to get the meat of the program down and I'm still learning to this day...

Any opinions on this?

kitchee

I am also an expert at flash, but just got into 3D stuff. Just by the layout of the program I think its gonna take about 3 times longer to learn Max than it was to learn flash. It has infinately more modifying aspects, and many more functions. Also it is working in 3D wich makes it much harder by default. good luck,

the tutorials that come with the program should take you anywhere from a day to a week. then, you have to at least play with the program, get used to it.

could take you as short as a week, or as long as a year. depends on the type of user you are.

besides, think about it like this... how fast did it take you to learn Flash? what about master it? IMHO, MAX is a bit more complex than Flash (both take time getting used to their different workflows) but both take about the same time to create the masterpieces in your heads.

it took me a month to get comfortable, and about a year to really start cranking out the models I would like. I am now so rusty with it... took about 3 years away from 3D...

btw, this is just my opinion. regard as such... you might be one of the few people I know that actually pick it up, and design something awesome in like a week. show us your objects when you get to that point

You got it "G" hehe ... ahhhh

Thx..

comforting

that is comforting

btw, when I say day, I DO mean a full 24 hours... my friend one time sat down, and went through the majority of them like that.

I took my time...

I know people that have been using max for 6 years and still learn new stuff all the time

man, no joke... I attribute it to me being super rusty, but I think I keep finding different things... it's cool though

Originally posted by WMLeeBo
    I know people that have been using max for 6 years and still learn new stuff all the time

thx gerbick for the comforting statements. im a professional grfx designer,as far as 2d is concerned, i just started using 3ds max 4 bout 2 weeks ago. im progressing fairly fast...however my limits are using NURBS curves and point curtves to create 3 curves, join them with a 2 rail surface material....and create a 3d shape. and maybe add a material to it...

Gerbick, i know this might be a huge favor, but can you give me a real detialed explaination of how to make the effect of http://www.flameboyant.com... like including the process of making the shape...im lost... and as i know, i really cant find any 3ds max 4 tutorials or sites;. mind helpnig me wit hthose 2 things? i appreciate it alot.

I will take a look into that when I get home later tonight... I unfortunatelly do not have access to 3D Studio MAX at the office

hey gerbick, do you have AIM? you seem like a good guy for me to tlak to to consult about 3d studio max. im 15 years old, i would be willnig to give you a percentage out of my pay every month from technohosts if you could help me with some effects here and there.

-Wes

Thhose are some really interesting graphics, I would be interested to see how those shapes are made, I wouldn't be suprised if there is a lot of post 3D work put into them.

Wes... I'm honored that you would consider me a resource; however, truth be told, I am nowhere near the talent level that would be able to assist you on business-like endeavors. However, I do have AIM, and I will gladly share that information with you. I think guys like ST=Z, TheMatrix, and whatnot, are waaaay better than me on the technical aspects of 3D Studio MAX...

I would basically consider myself more of a "hack" than anything else... I'm relearning to think in 3D from not being in that field for over 5 years... but, I'll try to help out as much as I can

ST=Z... I'm real surprised that you don't know how they made those shapes... give me some time tonight... I'll try to pop out some similar shapes. I did it once when I answered somebody's (was it you Wes?) questions about how to make them in another thread... a lot simpler than you would think man.

G- lol, I'm honored by your praise, but I'm not sure its deserved.

So what are we talking here with these shapes? My first guess is that they are twisted and skewed planes. (see pic) But it is really the material that I find most interesting, notice the lovely use of dark shadows that give some of the lines strength, and nice fallof, maybe uvw mapped?

Here i've taken a simple plane and just added some parametric modifiers to twist and crumple it. Then I cloned it and rotated it a bit, to "build up" the layers. Granted its nowhere near the site but its just a 1 minute example.

http://my-portfolio.tripod.com/skew.jpg

The output looks like this...

http://my-portfolio.tripod.com/skewoutput.jpg

Whats your take on it Gerbick?

I don't know about "G" but I think it looks really cool!

I almost like it better....huuumm

btw wes... my AIM is gerbick88... look me up.

Originally posted by Wes4444
    hey gerbick, do you have AIM? you seem like a good guy for me to tlak to to consult about 3d studio max. im 15 years old, i would be willnig to give you a percentage out of my pay every month from technohosts if you could help me with some effects here and there.

wes... here's my attempt... I think with some tweaking, and playing around... and more than the thirty minutes I truthfully put into it... you could do something even better...

http://www.gorillafarm.net/gfcontent/vectormess.htm

I believe St=Z has the better answer on this one...

Originally posted by gerbick
    wes... here's my attempt... I think with some tweaking, and playing around... and more than the thirty minutes I truthfully put into it... you could do something even better...

http://www.gorillafarm.net/gfcontent/vectormess.htm

I believe St=Z has the better answer on this one...
    Maybe I'm esy to impress but I like what you did, it's interesting...

yea, not bad, but not what i am looknig for. im looknig for a effect similar to http://www.flameboyant.com i know u can defnately do it gerbick, ur the man lol. and im...a newbie.. at 3d anyway

Like I said before I think there's some considerable post production going-on. Something about it just doesnt come across as pure Max to me. Why dont you ask the folks flamboyant?